Let there be LIGHT !!!

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Finally got round to upgarding the lighting on my 950 SuperEnduro.

The original bulb was still going strong after 7 years but time for an upgrade.

Ordered this and collected in the US and A :

Before :

Took a bit of faffing to fit,but with a bit of help (thanks Jumpjim) we got it done :

That'll do !!!!

A lot brighter ,I take it the price was a bit cheaper in the US. What made it difficult to fit?

Arsey.....keep a sharp eye on heat build up......3x brightness probably equates to a similar heat output, and it would be a shame to melt the plastic (if it is plastic) reflector/lens etc :)

(yes I know it's fan cooled, but that needs space/airflow)

Arsey.....keep a sharp eye on heat build up......3x brightness probably equates to a similar heat output, and it would be a shame to melt the plastic (if it is plastic) reflector/lens etc :)

It is and they do ...... I've seen several 950/990 Adventure & Super Duke headlamps with melted reflectors due to conversions :blast

Best not to ride at anything less than 90mph :augie

Incompetence and fat little fingers probably ....

Pretty much bang on !!

It was just over £50 delivered in the US with the current crap exchange rate.
The main difficulty was that I've never needed to change the bulb (reliable KTMs!!) before so all new to me on this bike.
The rubber dust cap behind the lens had to be slit slightly to allow the wire to pass through and then we drilled two small holes to cable tie the little box in place.Also cable tied the rubber cap behind the bulb as the new bulb was much thicker at the back but it all went in ok really.
Let's hope it doesn't melt then !! Ho hum.

But it is fan cooled as mentioned in the blurb

will the heat of the motor of the fan add to the heat of the bulb as the fan is not getting any airflow from outside the light or is it in theory taking cool air beside the lens and moving that around the bulb????

will the heat of the motor of the fan add to the heat of the bulb as the fan is not getting any airflow from outside the light or is it in theory taking cool air beside the lens and moving that around the bulb????

I honestly don't know, but I suspect it could easily end in tears/expense.

If I was putting one of these on/in my bike or someone I was fitting lights for, I'd be looking at drilling holes in shrouds behind the light unit, or directing an air flow up that way by some other means......what I DO know is that extra light output=extra heat output, and that has to be dispersed somewhere before something designed for the original heat output decides it has to melt.

Interestingly Zen overland have a video showing the heat output from a standard H4 halogen and a cyclops LED replacement.

The halogen, after 5 minutes on high, is running at 322 deg C and the LED equivalent after 5 mins is at 82 deg C so I fail to see why you would melt the reflector with an LED retrofit....? If anything it should run much cooler at the front end.

Interestingly Zen overland have a video showing the heat output from a standard H4 halogen and a cyclops LED replacement.

The halogen, after 5 minutes on high, is running at 322 deg C and the LED equivalent after 5 mins is at 82 deg C so I fail to see why you would melt the reflector with an LED retrofit....? If anything it should run much cooler at the front end.

Indeed. Don't the BMW LED lamps have the fan to prevent icing on the lens?

:nenau

Indeed. Don't the BMW LED lamps have the fan to prevent icing on the lens?

:nenau

Indeed, my neighbour's got a Merc with LED headlamps and had problems driving in snow in the Alps - not enough heat to melt what was falling on the lights, unlike halogen equipped cars. I heard but cannot confirm that BMW fit their LED car headlights with fans to cope with both hot and cold issues.

That is true.

It's the control chips that can get extremely hot.

I've been out for a few hours this afternoon and even let the bike run for 15 minutes in the garage when I got back (with the door open!).

There was no heat whatsoever,the control box remained totally cool to touch.

Obviously it might be different in the middle of France on a 38 degree day but it's looking good so far !!

LEDs convert electrons to photons without going through the heating process of a normal filament. LEDs are not 100% efficient but the heat they do produce comes from the back on the chip and driver electronics.
I've just bought a pair of 15watt LED spots with claimed output equivalent to 125watt halogen.
That's almost certainly fantasy land but they should be at least be up to a 50W halogen and probably a lot more.
It remains to be seen what the beam focus is like.

Well,after 2400m miles blatting around the Alps with temperatures ranging from 4 to 28 degrees and hotter in traffic I can safely say that my LED bulb has zero heat issues,despite some people's concerns.Great product !!

Well,after 2400m miles blatting around the Alps with temperatures ranging from 4 to 28 degrees and hotter in traffic I can safely say that my LED bulb has zero heat issues,despite some people's concerns.Great product !!

:thumb2

Any noticeable gaps in the beam pattern?

Back
Top Bottom