Wear the Fox hat!

Stick a couple of tanks of higher octane fuel in and see if knocking gets better...

I'll give it a try but I seriously doubt that's the issue. It sounds like when I shut the cutlery drawer at home with my knee while making a cuppa. Someone said it might be the throttle body but it sounds like it might be a bit more serious than that. When cruising along though it purrs like a kitten so I hope it is something fairly 'bolt on' simple.

My biggest fear is they will say it has anything to do with my rear-ender which it most certainly hasn't because it's been doing it for a fair few months now. In fact I'm sure I did it not long after I picked it up. I love coasting in to junctions and giving the throttle a little blip, especially with my Husky but with the GS I daren't do it!

I know they have anti knocking but hot climate and shit petrol followed by supermarket grade will make the noise you describe.

Reckon you should just keep riding n reporting .... Look forward to reading your updates and having a laugh..especially the "cutlery drawer" haha... Funny enough my esa also packed in whilst in morocco but I rocked the switch a few times and it sprung back to life and has been ok since...maybe bit of sand in it..
Go easy....

Reckon you should just keep riding n reporting .... Look forward to reading your updates and having a laugh..especially the "cutlery drawer" haha... Funny enough my esa also packed in whilst in morocco but I rocked the switch a few times and it sprung back to life and has been ok since...maybe bit of sand in it..
Go easy....

Long way to go yet my friend. Milano is the final destination before sacking it and heading for old Blighty. Got to pick up a passenger there and she had better of packed lightly ;)

I kinda like this type of report where you can follow people and live their trip as it were. I was following Antihero on ADV rider for a while as he rode round Europe on his Ducati 1199. When it transpired he was writing it after the fact it didn't seem quite as interesting. Then old Mooney did one and that was very interesting but he kept dropping off the radar. Seems he like to worry people! But I think the format is very engaging and worth encouraging so who's the next one up??

I have enjoyed writing it but it is a real bind trying to find wifi, take photos, upload them to my bucket then wrote up a report, all whilst trying to appear sociable and drink some(s) beer(s).

Anyway, I'm glad there is a couple of peeps out there who found it intersting. In reality I only did it to appease the wife so she could keep tabs on me. Especially when riding past these 'lay-by ladies' they have here in Spain. That reminds me, made myself a lovely cheesey tuna pasta tonight. Imprest myself with my milk pan.

I agree with you Mr GS Traveller..these reports are both interesting and informative....oh, and funny too...
They take a lot of time up tho with the speed of wifi in Morocco...and that eats into ya beer time and lay bye lady time..!!!! Tell you what tho..if you need a hotel they always know where to find one...allegedly .....
I met up with mooney in Essaouira for a beer and he was off to the desert and beyond so I guess it's hard to keep in touch on a daily basis...plus he had that old bid he pulled in the petrol station....hahaha...
wish I had done a blog whilst there as I had some interesting times and I had the sat nag on back so stuck to Tarmac and half decent hotels.... Off back in late sept / October so I will do a report then...

Hi Pete

what a great ride report ! very interesting and funny ! just wish i was able to make it to the humm and trip to Italy !!

if you guys are heading to the hog roast ill be there so maybe meet for a few beers ?

travel safe !

International BMW to the rescue! This could mean the end of the report. Latest news is they will be collecting the bike and shipping it back to UK. They will then taxi me to the nearest town and give me a hire for the remainder of my journey. Say what you like about their bikes but I can't fault their customer service.

Can't really justify continuing the blog on 4 wheels so this could be the end.....

Oh noooo...what am I going to read in bed now..???
Did they know what it was in cutlery drawer..potatoe peeler or tin opener..??...����

They didn't say anything. I had to first try and phone round the local dealers in Spain of which there were 3. None of them could fit me in for at least a week so I telephoned BMW Breakdown services again and they sent in the heavy boys with a large pick up truck and towed my baby away!

Of course the taxi arrived an hour and a half early so he was dead chuffed to have to sit and wait with me before they collected the bike. Then at half 1 it was gone and I was on my way tie south west of France (Pau) to collect my hire car.

For 3 and a half hours I sat there thinking over the last few weeks and what an amazing time it had been. It takes a bit of getting used to, being on the road and definitely being self sufficient. Then all of a sudden I came over really sad that I won't be completing the journey on my bike. It felt really strange but in a really pathetic way, I felt like I had abandoned her in Spain. We followed her for a bit up the road before it turned off heading south and I almost could have shed a tear. We'd been through a lot us two.

Anyway, my plans haven't really changed. Just my mode of transport. You know Nick Sanders said in one of his Vlogs that riding through towns you are anonymous and that was what he liked. I think it's the opposite. You want to drive a Vauxhall Corsa through town and then you will feel anonymous. You could be anyone. Any person off to work or out for dinner. On the bike you make a statement. Everybody knows what your agenda is and straight away they can connect.

I find it amazing how as soon as I sat in the car and started driving, I felt so disconnected from my surroundings like I was watching it all on telly and the feeling was only so intense because I'd lived it for nearly 4 weeks. On a bike you're out there, emersed in your surroundings.

Anyway, that's enough deep shit for one night. Time to find a spot to park my tin box and get my head down for the night.

Had to give her a wash and most of my stickers came off and all my Moroccon mud medals :(

Sob Sob :(

And so, my new steed awaits:

Didn't give me sat nav the tight bastards:

Scenery is still amazing though, even through big windows:

Getting late:

No pictures tonight I'm afraid. No wifi here in the arse end of F@ck knows. Actually I made it into Italy. I am 3 hours away from my final destination, Malpensa Airport.

Had a good nights kip in a small picnic area in France. Woke about half 7 and headed straight off. Put Milan in the Sat Nav and followed the coast road north through St Tropez, Cannes, Monocco and Nice, finally hitting the Italian border about 6pm. I didn't stop to take any pictures, I just kept rolling forward, looking out my large windows at the view.

As an indication of the transformation you go through in the eyes of everyone else, I am now a scruffy, stinky, beardy bloke who forgot to bring a hair brush with him and couldn't be arsed to buy one. Now when you step off a bike, people accept this, they understand and give you the benefit of the doubt.

When you step out of a Vauxhall Corsa, people take a slightly more sceptical view. Case in point. A lovely young French lady waved me down today and needed assistance changing a tyre. The car in front chinned her off and I was more than happy to oblige. I didn't even need to turn off my engine, had it off in 3 mins flat (no pun intended!). Couldn't believe the state of her tyre, it was practically a slick if it were not for the wires penetrating the surface.

Anyway, about a mile earlier down the road, I'd passed my first French Lay-by lady. I am making an assumption here of course but she was stunning, stood in the middle of a lay-by clearly waiting for someone. (No cheeky wave though, think I prefer the Spanish ones!)

So picture the scene, I've just changed the tyre, an Englishman man in a small French hire car, unshaven with a messy beard and one of those tans that almost looks like you haven't washed in weeks. Messy hair and I also probably stink a bit. Off I stroll back to the car and pull out a pack of babywipes handily stored in the door compartment. I've never seen a woman pull away so fast. It was like the start of a Welsh rally stage!

To make matters worse, I have my poncho in a small fishing bag in the boot which doesn't look too dissimilar to a rifle case. I really have to be careful or I'll be woken up tomorrow with a tap on the window surrounding my armed French Police.

Now if I'd stepped off my bike, I might even have been invited back for coffee (Of course I'd have had to decline of course!!)

Anyway, the trip has now morphed into a weekend fly drive with the Mrs which although I'm sure she is pleased about, I'm still pretty gutted that I couldn't finish the whole journey on my bike. She had carried me and all my gear just under 5000 miles and did a very good job of it until the end. I guess I will have to just attempt it again next year ;)

have i missed something here...A French lady waved you down... "you had it off in three minutes flat".......she pulls away really fast then you get the baby wipes...!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom