Atlas Throttle Lock

Auwyn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I have read a few posts about throttle locks, which seemed like a good idea to me, for longer journeys where you are just keeping the throttle at the same place, mainly because I am getting some discomfort in my joints on my fingers from cramping up where I have to keep the throttle at the same position. I do all the keeping relaxed stuff and moving my hand about when I can, but it generally returns to the same position and ends up aching again. So when people posted stuff about throttle locks, I figured I would take a look and what was available. I was about set on the ones that look like clamps, when I happened upon a product by the name of Atlas Throttle Lock.

I read up about it and it had a number of advantages over the other products available. It was activated with the thumb, not the little finger - as with the ones you attack to the end of the throttle, which seemed more natural. The reviews it had (It was still in development at the time) were very positive. It was more robust than the clamp looking one and appears more integrated/less obtrusive to the machine. It wasn't cheap, but looked like it had been designed very well, the bloke who had developed it appeared to show some sensible thought processes in the development and didnt scrimp on quality, so I decided to go with his product.

He shipped round about the time he said he would (there was no fixed date, just a ballpark figure of getting them finished) but he posted two days after the projected date of shipping. The package whizzed across the US and then took 8 days to get through customs in London (for which Parcelforce charged me the princely sum of £14). :rolleyes: Once it did, the package arrived, well presented and with the complete gear (including small allen key) to fit the lock.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about mechanics, nor particularly adept with tools, but following the instructions with the throttle lock and watching the video about connecting, on the Atlas website, gave me the confidence to connect it myself. There was a little bit of fiddling around in doing so, but I quite comfortably managed to do so, so I'm sure it would be no problem for you buggers, should you be so inclined. Anyway, attached it looks like this:

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

So depressing the button pushes a little rubber pad towards the bit to the left of the grip and just stops the grip from returning, so those long boring journeys become a little more bearable. When it's engaged you can still move the throttle so adjustments can be made if you need to either push on or slow down. Disengaging is done by moving the button downwards, which is a lot easier than putting it on. Engaging it is a little stiff (oooh errr missus) at the moment although I am assured by David the proprietor, that this will ease up through use, but other than that it is a fine piece of kit, which makes my longer journeys (not that I have done any really long journeys as of yet) much more bearable.

For my part, I would recommend it for anyone considering a throttle lock. It's far from the cheapest, but it is a well made, comfortable and easy to use piece of equipment.

Website is at http://www.atlasthrottlelock.com

Looks good, but not cheap as you say.

I use Throttle Mate which does a similar job, holds the throttle open so you can rest your hand etc, and only £10

http://throttlemate.co.uk/#/shop/4580896200/throttlemate-black/6981944

I've got one of those there things, and it does eggzakkerly what it says on the tin.

I don't trust things based on screw threads or buttons......one bit of grit in a screw thread or a bit of clag in a joint and things could go badly wrong very quickly......the throttlemate type things are fail safe, cheap (I like that bit particularly) and easy to use compared to some widgets that you have to apply with the weak side of your hand.

Oh, and they're cheap :)

I've got one of those there things, and it does eggzakkerly what it says on the tin.

I don't trust things based on screw threads or buttons......one bit of grit in a screw thread or a bit of clag in a joint and things could go badly wrong very quickly......the throttlemate type things are fail safe, cheap (I like that bit particularly) and easy to use compared to some widgets that you have to apply with the weak side of your hand.

Oh, and they're cheap :)

And me...great little gizmo for not much money...

Back
Top Bottom