"Bike Home" folding bike shed......the TRIKE Version for a GSA

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been watching these on Ebay for a long time, but at £179.99 plus delivery on a BIN sale, they were a bit pricey I thought.

I noticed though that one Ebay seller , "Grow-ur-own" regularly puts them up as an auction, even though they still have them at £179.99 as well......the auctions seem to all go to around £120 for the Trike sized one (which I measured up and it's the only one big enough for a GS)

So last week when one came up, I stuck a max bid of £92.30 on and walked away.......a few hours later, I got the mail saying I'd won, so with the £9.99 postage, I got one for £101.99 delivered, which I reckon is a fair deal :)

trike-home-animation.gif

It arrived yesterday, a fekking massive box (a couple of feet wide, 9 inches deep and over 8 feet long) weighing in at probably 25KG.....the parcel force guy wasn't too happy with it :D

I moved the car to the extreme edge of the space I've got available and had to take my machete to some large weeds and nettles from next door to get the maximum space I could, then today I put it together :)

sefsf%20%282%29-X3.jpg

The frame bars are fairly light weight mild steel but are well painted....there are only four nuts and bolts to actually assemble (m4 with nylocks, so I might upgrade those at some point) and then the roof-hoops slot onto the uprights using those spring loaded nobbles that pop into holes in the outer tube....it only took 15 mins at most to put together in fact

That massive ground anchor BTW was my best ever Ebay bargain, because the person selling it stipulated collection only.....effectively, i got it for the cost of a trip to Bedford where I strapped it on the back of the bike and brought it home :D

It bolts into the ground and there's a scaffold tube in the back corner off it which takes a decent sized chain......the only issue really is that it is only really suitable for the rear wheel

DSC00709-L.jpg

The holes in the base plates were only M6 to match the aluminium/steel puny ground anchor bolts as supplied, so I drilled out some M8 holes and used some much heavier duty bolts......this thing won't go anywhere in a strong wind :D

sefsf%20%289%29-XL.jpg

The side plates have a shackle type affair on them (circled below) but partly because of the space I've got (no access to them) and partly because the metal is a very thin (2mm?) plate that I wouldn't trust, I'm not going to use them.

The pivots for the uprights are also poxy little M4 bolts and nylocks, so again, I may well upgrade those at some point :)

sefsf%20%287%29-X2.jpg

The hardest part of the whole job was getting the cover on.......Ideally, it's a two person job, but as I was alone I cracked on.......I got it 'about right' but when I came to use the velcro that skirts the whole bottom edge and that wraps around the lower bars, discovered I was probably 6 inches out in rotation, so I'll have to take it off and re-do that in a couple of days......

I've also run a decent chain through the rear wheel of the Golf and by parking the bike at an angle, I can get that through the front wheel....that will suffice until I can work out how best to use the big wheel anchor.

sefsf%20%285%29-XL.jpg

sefsf%20%286%29-X3.jpg

It looks bloody massive when closed, but you can see that it's just right for a GSA.

The weights on the front edge are temporary.......once I've rotated the whole cover a few inches on the frame and got it fitting well, I'll put in some anchor bolts with loops so I can padlock the leading edge down.

OVERALL......

Price....Good at just over £100 delivered, but I wouldn't buy one at the BIN price, It's too much IMO.
Quality...Average....metal is barely good enough and I'll have to keep an eye on rust breaking through, but it's adequate.
Mounting bolts as supplied not confidence inspiring, so use beefier ones :)
Delivery...Excellent, arrived inside 48 hours but don't attempt to manhandle the box if you've ever had back problems :nono
Material.....seems OK, it's rubber lines and the seams are taped, but the proof of that will be in the pudding of a decent storm to test it out :)

Happy enough with it and will report on how it stands up to use :thumb2

sefsf%20%284%29-X3.jpg

You could put some marine plywood plates either side of the wheel chock to get a width that better suits the bike front wheel.

You could put some marine plywood plates either side of the wheel chock to get a width that better suits the bike front wheel.

Indeed. but I don't like the thought of the whole bike standing with all the weight of it taken through a rather small section of the front wheel.

I suspect I might end up selling that and getting/making some decent ground anchors instead.

Anyhoo......UPDATE.
It's been several weeks since I installed this thing, and I'm liking it a lot.

We've had some fairly severe thunder storms and a day of blustery wind and the bike has stayed totally dry.

Under the cover, the bike is still being chained front and rear to trough the wheels of the car....the only thing I wasn't entirely happy with was the 2-3 inch gap between the bottom of the folding section and the ground......it's meant to be there, but it just looked wrong and the sort of gap that could let the wind pick it up and fling the thing open.

So I looked around and thought of different options, and ended up bolting in a couple of clampy things designed for pinning down flat boards or pieces of model securely onto a desk etc.

Here we go.......

Closed.....

DSC00936-L.jpg

Open......

DSC00934-L.jpg

No need to bend down even.....I can flip them open or closed with a foot :)

I do plan to put a rubber bootee over the metal part so it won't wear through the cover

If the wheel fits properly the front wheel chock should carry very little side force. >95% of the weight should be vertical.

If the wheel fits properly the front wheel chock should carry very little side force. >95% of the weight should be vertical.

When it's stood up yes, but If I go in front wheel first, I'd have to dismount from it being vertical.

After a long day wrestling people into seclusion, I'm not sure my legs would be up to it :(

The stand (for want of a better word) is also a perfect radius for the 17 inch rear.......the 19 presents different parts, and less of a surface area IYSWIM.....It doesn't 'feel' right to me and I like to go with my gut feeling when it comes to knackered wheel bearings and bent rims :D
Finally, the front wheel gets right up forwards under the lower part at the far end of the cover, so bending down to secure the chain through it? :nono

Back
Top Bottom