Alston weekend with AT Tours

Wraithwrider

I've just has a brilliant weekend away riding what I suspect are some of the best biking roads in the UK in warm, dry and sunny conditions in company with some really nice folk.

The trip was organised by AT Tours. AT Tours consists of two working guys, John and Steve. They are an excellent couple of blokes and both ride GS's.

Starting point for the majority of us was Rainbow at Rotherham. First drama was discovering how my GPS doesn't work very well without any maps (they were in there once, honest). So the trip down from Kendal was extended from 136 miles and arriving early fully fuelled, p'd and de-stressed to over 200 miles, late, fuelled, P'd and mega stressed!

Suitably calmed down we set off to ride at a very good pace through some of the quietest and most wonderful biking roads that I've ever experienced. I was amazed, as a Southerner moved North, at how many bikes were around. Most of them on the main roads and having less fun but posing more I suspect.

We met 6 others at Helmsley where we had a lunch stop.

Then it was more of the same, sunshine, warmth, dry tarmac, good lines and reveling in the 1200's competency.

It was the first time that I have been involved with the 'system' and I found it easy to use and it allowed riders to run at their own pace (at least as fast as John who was leading - well fast enough for me).

The style of riding was 'progressive' which suited me well, as in stick to the 30's, 40's and 50's and then use appropriate skills to enjoy yourself at appropriate speeds.

I found myself dragging my toes on the bends as confidence with the Tourances and the 1200 grew. The last 20+ miles into Alston following John (two up on an 1150) and John on a Kawasaki 636 will stay with me as one of the fastest rides over the best roads that I have undertaken ever. And I've been riding for nearly 35 years so that's saying something.

I lost a little ground when the tarmac changed to that grey coarse stuff as even with my glasses on I couldn't tell if it was just a coarse surface or loose gravel. I should have trusted my riding partners and I caught back up with them when we got to Alston, several minutes ahead of the group with me concealing a huge smile under the Tour X!

The hotel was as welcoming as any could be and the food in a nearby restaurant was superb for me, as a veggie and equally as good for everyone else. So there ended day one, over 400 miles, tired, well fed and in good company.

Sunday started with beautiful sunshine. I was up early for a walk listening to a woodpecker and chatting to a few new born lambs (they talk to me cause I'm a veggie).

Sunday was brilliant. What can I say but more of the same. Visited Hadrian's Wall, another first for me. Some great roads devoid of traffic. Every now and again we'd cross a main road full of cars and bikes before heading off down another brilliant B road.

It got busy towards the end but that was inevitable as we neared civilisation. I said goodbye to a great bunch as I departed for home on the A65. Not before dropping my glasses on the deck and stomping on them while changing my headlight bulb though!

I experienced some really great sportsbike riding on the A65. Two that were so desperate to get past the GS that one overtook on a blind hill and the other on a blind bend across double whites in a 40 limit. Lucky Barsta**s to get away with it.

I deliberately didn't take my camera but on reflection should have. Here's a photo of the GS doing it's stuff at Stanhope Ford though:

Fording.jpg

It's difficult to think of highlights of a weekend that was sorta one long one.

Many thanks to John and Steve and all who were on the run and made it such fun. If you fancy some great biking tours take a look at their website.

http://www.attours.co.uk/

I'm accumulating some great GPS routes that I'll re-visit in various guises. Now to check availability for some more weekend jaunts.

Went with John and Steve the previous w/end to Scottish borders. Entirely endorse the positive comments and will certainly be going with them again.

We always try to make sure you have a good time.

Attachments

• dscf02788.jpg
    dscf02788.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 180
For anyone who might have enjoyed the trips we have done so far this year, or might have wished to, we are now taking bookings for Easter 2006.

Please click the link below for the latest info

Happy biking

Back
Top Bottom