Base layers

ive always used some from sports world. and great for both on the bike and working outdoors....
don't even know your wearing them...until your not....think they cost me £30 for 2 full sets...

M&S long sleeved vest - the blue one.
Amazing for £15.

Hi

I've been using Under Armour pants and tee shirt base layer for several years. They do separate heat & cold items. The pants are great for all day on th bike. I don't end up with the world greatest wedgie:blast

How many brands have been recommended so far?

#1 Question is: Will you be sedate or active?

I've amassed a collection of maybe 10-12 long-sleeved Base layers. They're all very effective at playing their part in keeping me warm when I'm sedate/inactive.

But it's once you get moving that separates the "good" from the "bad" with base layers.

My favourite base layer when I'm active is a Columbia Omni-Heat zip-neck long sleeve:

http://www.columbiasportswear.ie/IE...html?dwvar_1638531_variationColor=053#start=1

Not cheap. I got mine in 53 Degrees north for €40 in a sale.

On top of that, I use my Montane Volt Alpiniste fleece, Craghoppers Compresslite jacket (for when it's cold) and Rab Latok Alpine shell.

But while I'm inactive (as on a bike), any of my cheapies from Tesco, Lidl/Aldi, Mountain Warehouse, etc, all do the job just fine.

EDIT: As a hairy man, I find the super-tight fitted-type base layers irritating. They seem to compress my body hair to my skin and it gets pretty itchy.

Another big thumbs up for the Aldi Merino base layers, avoid the stretchy man-made fibre stuff as it doesn't wick with the same efficiency and starts to stink on you.

Just like some of these other clever chaps .. simple long sleeved running tops .. £5 each at the most ... a couple of those and and a thin fleece or a Rukka Dingo jacket then main jacket on top ... works well for me on the cold winter months of my commute.:thumb

Back
Top Bottom