HEX Ezcan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah! I wish I'd asked before, I've just wasted cash on a hard drive fore a laptop when I could have done it at my desk top computer :blast. Still I guess it's not so bad I can use it to make changes in the future :rolleyes:. Thanks for the heads up though.

When I tried to update the HexEZcan just with the laptop I got the message that there was no power on. So had to update it when it was connected to the bike and the ignition was on.

How does the wheel feature work? Can this feature still be used if a NAV 5 is also on the bike?

Ian
Hold the wheel to the left for 5 sec then you can rotate to dim/brighten the aux lights you've fitted. Leave it alone and that feature times out and the wheel goes back to normal function. At least that's what the guy from Ezcan says but I'm sure the others on here who have theirs up and running will soon say if it doesn't do that.

When I tried to update the HexEZcan just with the laptop I got the message that there was no power on. So had to update it when it was connected to the bike and the ignition was on.

Well having coaxed the fuse on the Ezcan through the small gaps on the bike now I'm not going to remove it I'll just wait to get the laptop and configure it at the bike so it should be okay for me. Did you configure for any strobe effect? Think I'll give that a miss as that's probably going to interest the police a bit too much.

I did. I left the function of 3 flash presses to start a 3 second strobe on. Thought it might be useful.

Also left on the strobe when horn is pressed.

I have aux lights at 30% on dip but I might reduce that.

Some peelers I know say the strobe may be illegal. But for me it is all about being seen. I near got wiped out last year in France by a driver that didn't see me on a dual carriage way. Strobe would have helped when I pressed the horn for sure.

I think the strobe effect is super, but undoubtedly illegal Regulations in here somewhere. Quote 13:with the exception of indicators, "no vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which automatically emits a flashing light." There are other exceptions, but they do not apply to our amateur purposes.
Will these flashers be used for safety, or used for 'get out of my way' purposes? :augie

Ah! I wish I'd asked before, I've just wasted cash on a hard drive fore a laptop when I could have done it at my desk top computer :blast. Still I guess it's not so bad I can use it to make changes in the future :rolleyes:. Thanks for the heads up though.

No problem :) Always good to have a laptop handy anyway I suppose

How does the wheel feature work? Can this feature still be used if a NAV 5 is also on the bike?

Ian
Hi Ian yes the wheel will still work. Remember the ezCAN only reads messages and does not write at all, so my suggestion is to exit the menu using the wheel the do the sequence and set the lights and then navigate out of the menu again. And this is purely due to the fact that it only reads the messages. (Piggyback)

For more info feel free to look on my site www.ice-tags.co.za

Len

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi

So if it is Read only when using the wheel to zoom the NAV 5 in/out this will also change the lights brightness? Read only means that both devices eg NAV5 and EZCAN will respond to movements on the wheel. Sounds like this is not practical to have both devices installed?

Ian

Hi Ian yes the wheel will still work. Remember the ezCAN only reads messages and does not write at all, so my suggestion is to exit the menu using the wheel the do the sequence and set the lights and then navigate out of the menu again. And this is purely due to the fact that it only reads the messages. (Piggyback)

For more info feel free to look on my site www.ice-tags.co.za

Len

No the EZCAN reads messages in other words does not change any or write any new messages is what I meant. The sequence to follow with the wheel to be able to set the lights might move you in to another menu or might not depending which menu you were in when started. But never the less it is not an issue at all. Once lights are set go back to where you want to be in the menu on gps. Surely one only need to set the lights once if need be. And there is no function on the gps that you will follow that is the same sequence to set the lights. Not a problem at all

No the EZCAN reads messages in other words does not change any or write any new messages is what I meant. The sequence to follow with the wheel to be able to set the lights might move you in to another menu or might not depending which menu you were in when started. But never the less it is not an issue at all. Once lights are set go back to where you want to be in the menu on gps. Surely one only need to set the lights once if need be. And there is no function on the gps that you will follow that is the same sequence to set the lights. Not a problem at all

I thought that the wheel could be used on the move to change light brightness, if it works this way I cant see how this would work without changing zoom on navigator.

I thought that the wheel could be used on the move to change light brightness, if it works this way I cant see how this would work without changing zoom on navigator.

See post #83 above. I'm not up next running with mine yet admittedly but that is how Ezcan say it works. Therefore you're 'telling' the canbus you wish to alter the lights by the 5 sec hold to the left. It will recognise this and allow the wheel to be rotated for brightness settings. Leaving it for a short while with no input to the wheel would then allow this function to time out after which you can operate the Nav 5 as normal. There's a You Tube clip explaining this. I'm on my iPad so can't fathom how to get the link but search for 'Ted Porter and Stephan Thiel discuss the Hex Ezcan'.
Hope this helps.

Well, it's here and configured. Just got to wire it in to the auxiliary lights that I bought and away we go. Trouble is, I'll probably have to wait until the weekend now :blast

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 541
Looking good yes

Looking good yes

Just been to garage and rigged up some basic wiring to work be of the lights. :D Plugged the ezCAN in to canbus and tapped to the battery....it worked without any issue. :clap Fantastic bit of kit. Well worth the expense IMHO. :thumb2

I took a bit of video on my iPhone. I'll see if I can post it up on my YouTube channel.

Just to say, I have loaded a video on my YouTube channel. It's only a short clip to show the features. Click the link below :beerjug:

Just been to garage and rigged up some basic wiring to work be of the lights. :D Plugged the ezCAN in to canbus and tapped to the battery....it worked without any issue. :clap Fantastic bit of kit. Well worth the expense IMHO. :thumb2

I took a bit of video on my iPhone. I'll see if I can post it up on my YouTube channel.

Hi Flaming T

I've just received my lights and my finger is hovering over the "Buy" button for the Ezcan. Did you need any cable between the short length on the lights and the connection on the Ezcan and what extra connectors did you need? First time wiring, which is why the Ezcan is attractive, as well as the functionality.

Thanks

Hi Flaming T

I've just received my lights and my finger is hovering over the "Buy" button for the Ezcan. Did you need any cable between the short length on the lights and the connection on the Ezcan and what extra connectors did you need? First time wiring, which is why the Ezcan is attractive, as well as the functionality.

Thanks

Hi GSJones... assuming you are locating the ezcan at the rear (under the seat) and the lights are at the front, then yes. My lights came with about 8 inches of pre-install wire and the ezcan comes with 'as you see' on the web site. Simple +/- wire from light to plug for ezcan is required and either connect via small bit of soldering or connectors.
I am no master at electrics but can solder wire together (very easy)
The way i will connect is to use spade connectors at the lamp end (so that i can disconnect if i have an issue with the lights instead of cutting the wiring etc) and solder at the ezcan end.

Dependant on your location, am happy to help wire up. :thumb2

Hope this helps :beerjug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom