Lacing and truing 2012 GSA front wheel

Dunblane56

Reaction score
Recently had to have my front wheel re trued as it pulled the thread from 2 spoke nipples.
This let the rim run very wobbly so after replacing said nipples i had to get it trued again.
No I have trued many other type of wheel both on motorcycles and push bikes but this type really beat me.

Was wondering if anyone knows of some information on this forum that might shed some light on the dark and ancient art of trueing this type of spoked wheel.
Can it be that difficult !!!!

Laurence

Can it be that difficult !!!!

It seems yes it can. The originals are built on a jig and very few wheel builders will touch the cross spoke type. Kevin Blurton wheel builder in Derby 01332 369085 used to do the BMW wheels. I don't know if he still does.

They are a nightmare and not many people do it. Had mine done with Hagon in Essex and they did a great job at a sensible price.

Sounds like a nightmare, but was wondering if it would pay to get a pair of GS Cast wheels to fit a 1200 GSA (2012).
Appreciate it will not "Look the Part" but other than council ignored road chasms (which I blame for my issues) I do not tend to go "off road".
More interested in the possibility of fitting directly to a GSA really.

Laurence

I picked up a pair of cast wheels off here for less than the cost of having my spoked wheels trued. Not only do they look better but the bike was so much smoother. Mine came with the discs and ABS ring fitted and apart from needing different bolts for the rear wheel were a direct replacement onto my GSA.

I picked up a pair of cast wheels off here for less than the cost of having my spoked wheels trued. Not only do they look better but the bike was so much smoother. Mine came with the discs and ABS ring fitted and apart from needing different bolts for the rear wheel were a direct replacement onto my GSA.

I did the same. The full set is a straight swap. I had them refinished in black. The alloys and wires all weigh much the same.

When I'm on the laptop I add a picture of my GSA with alloys.

I love the blue tinted petrol tank sadly its a picture artefact. I fancy getting it wrapped in blue camo colours.

IMAG1118_zps80257e46.jpg

IMAG1117_zps45d0c15b.jpg

I think that actually looks rather smart, have to find me a pair

Sent from my HUAWEI Y550-L01 using Tapatalk

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaagh HELP REQUIRED PLEASE

2012 GSA 1200
OK then now it turns out the rim is bu**ered, truly a nightmare when I need this bike on the road.
2 Questions, if I replace with GS alloy is there a particular model years to look for and does any one know of a useable set available any where,
2nd where can I get a second hand wheel (Black rinmmed if possible) for the front

I've got a reasonably tidy black rimmed front wheel from a 2008 GSA cluttering up my garage at the moment . You're welcome to come & have a look if it's of any interest or if you want photos pm me your email address . Looking for £100 + carr. if applicable .

I love the look of Alpina wire wheels complete with O-ring sealed spoke nipples so they work with tubeless tyres. But the prices are another thing.

Wheel prolem solved thanks Powerful Pierre
Will do change over tomorrow.
Thanks for all advice and guidance

Sent from my HUAWEI Y550-L01 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom