WAW Maps

Your route looks pretty good Jonny. When heading from Galway to Sligo head out to Clifden then on to Leenaun and take the R335 towards Louisburg. This road will take you up along the Doo Lough and is a cracking ride for both the road itself and the views along the way. From Louisburg it's not far to Westport and you're back on track again.

Sounds good cheers!

It's great picking all these brains on here and getting the particular must do roads folk have suggested

I will have a list of must do roads and stops/sites for the route so if we need to change plans or make up time or something at least I will have that list to follow and make sure they are done at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are very welcome. Between us here we have the whole country covered.

I will have a list of must do roads and stops/sites for the route

Here's another nice wee diversion...........When leaving Sligo take the R286 heading east which takes you past Lough Gill and the historic Parkes Castle. If you stay on the R286 it will take you back out onto the main N16 near Manorhamilton which means that you still get to do that cracking ride from there to Enniskillen but then you are on main roads the whole way home from there.

Alternatively you could go from the castle via Dromahair, Dowra, Ballyconnell on the brilliant R200 (one of the best roads on this island) then on by Belturbet, Clones, Monaghan, Armagh, Tandragee, Banbridge and then up into those hills of Dromore. This route is 200km from Sligo to Dromore and is the route that I would take.

You are very welcome. Between us here we have the whole country covered.

Here's another nice wee diversion...........When leaving Sligo take the R286 heading east which takes you past Lough Gill and the historic Parkes Castle. If you stay on the R286 it will take you back out onto the main N16 near Manorhamilton which means that you still get to do that cracking ride from there to Enniskillen but then you are on main roads the whole way home from there.

Alternatively you could go from the castle via Dromahair, Dowra, Ballyconnell on the brilliant R200 (one of the best roads on this island) then on by Belturbet, Clones, Monaghan, Armagh, Tandragee, Banbridge and then up into those hills of Dromore. This route is 200km from Sligo to Dromore and is the route that I would take.

Here you pulled the cat out of the bag with this one! will 100% be doing the 2nd option from the castle without doubt

I hadn't thought much of the route home from Sligo but I just checked this out and its more than perfect :beerjug:

We stopped at a castle just by chance last year in scotland and got off for a walk round and enjoyed it, we got a picture together outside it so will have to do the same with this one :D
87f5a45bbbe0ab65924f41c7f98d53fb.jpg

Puts me in mind now to have a look for any other ones near our route we could stop off at for a walk round

Glad you got sorted with GPS points etc. Only thing I'd add to the great advice so far, is don't underestimate how long doing it will take. If you start doing all the optional points of interest, it really takes time. I took ten days doing the whole thing and I was riding for ten hours a day and stopping a lot and say most of the optional viewing areas. Absolutly loved it though. Planning on possibly doing it again this year:)

take the R335 towards Louisburg. This road will take you up along the Doo Lough
At the start of the lough there a right turn (L1824) that takes you through the Sheefry Hills. it's a gorgeous run, one of my favourites, but quite nadgery. But when you get back onto the N59 you've lovely fast sweepers to Westport.

the brilliant R200 (one of the best roads on this island)
Absofugginlutely :aidan

Have fun :thumb

They have a nice little free booklet with a map, I picked up one today at a fuel stop.

Attachments

• 20170201_233903.jpg
    20170201_233903.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 53

Back
Top Bottom