Problem:BMW Heated Grips on a 2000 Dakar

JohnnyBoxer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi my Dakar has the stock BMW heated grips.

They all work fine in both 50 & 100 % Heat positions and grips don't stick when 'on'

However although there is a heat difference between 50 and 100%, they're still not powerful and don't get very hot.

Could it be a bad earth reducing power to the grips or something else?

Have read the Chaingang FAQ's.........but found them not much help

I rode with a friend on her 2004 Dakar (new shape) last weekend and she said her Heated Grips were enough to cook - even on low setting - is there a difference with Post 2004 GS/Dakars (only difference seems to be HG switch on switchgear to me)

I have had lots of bigger GS (1100/1150's) and currently have a 2005 1150 Adventure and the BMW HG are very hot in both positions.

My Dakar has an alarm, but don't think there's any power drain as it starts 1st time,even having been stood for 7-10 days and lights are bright etc

Any ideas or are they all like this??

My `04 650GS has HG and they are as effective as my old 1150GS, ie very hot on 100%.
I remember a work K75 having the same problem and the garage diagnosed a poor earth which as far as I can recollect fixed the problem. I`d try there first Johnny.

Johnny,

there's a definate difference between my 01 Dakar and 02 Adv. Adv are much hotter. I only ever used position 2 on the 650 and could only really feel them at less than 60 mph. Maybe the earlier ones weren't as powerfull?

Stupid question - you haven't fitted Renthall or Pro Taper handlebars, have you?

Since ftting Pro Tapers to the Adv, the efficiency of the heated grips has diminished considerably - it seems the one piece bars act as a heat sink and conduct the heat away...

Mike:)

Mike O said:
Stupid question - you haven't fitted Renthall or Pro Taper handlebars, have you?

Since ftting Pro Tapers to the Adv, the efficiency of the heated grips has diminished considerably - it seems the one piece bars act as a heat sink and conduct the heat away...

Mike:)

No Mike,

All is stock and I only always wear summer golves - like BMW's GS gloves or similar

could be as said before, bad earth, next I would try to either swap the switch or bypass it as a trial [could be crap on the switch contacts], lastly the elements could be on the way out - they are a consumable after all,

fortunatly [sp] you msy not need em for a week or two:cool:

colt said:
i"ve a spare switch if you need to try that ,:)

Cheers Jason,
I'll see how bad my switch is corroded (if at all) and be in touch if necessary -

By the way.............how do your 2000 Dakar HG, compare to your GS1150 HG, assuming both bikes are fitted with HG

hi ,well not had them on the 650 that long,they were a new set
i havent used the bike much yet.
but tried them out when i went for my MOT:D
the 650 ones seem to be effective.
i have retro fitted them.i also have retro fitted the hg switch and used the newer integrated hg switch on the switchgear instead of the one tht sits on top of the handlebar MOUNTS ;) :D

Back
Top Bottom