Best Front Pads for R1150GS Adventure m.y. 2005

What is all the fuss about? :confused: The biggest confusion is getting the right pattern out of the couple of options. One of the joys of the 1150 is the engine braking which makes the need to actually squeeze the lever redundant. I have gone from the Peaks to Falmouth (home area) without using the brakes more than a handful of times in the entire 300 miles. Back off the throttle and avoid the brakes altogether.

I even went across into the hills of Shropshire an dback with no brakes at all once - I had to for a job, but I had little worry. The servo motor had given up the ghost and I literally had zero brakes. Just a good eye ahead and a riding within my limits and I never felt vulnerable at all. A tiger might have jumped out from behind a pine tree and tried to savage me, in which case I would have be glad of some brakes.....but life is full of possibilities.

What is all the fuss about? :confused: The biggest confusion is getting the right pattern out of the couple of options. One of the joys of the 1150 is the engine braking which makes the need to actually squeeze the lever redundant. I have gone from the Peaks to Falmouth (home area) without using the brakes more than a handful of times in the entire 300 miles. Back off the throttle and avoid the brakes altogether.

I even went across into the hills of Shropshire an dback with no brakes at all once - I had to for a job, but I had little worry. The servo motor had given up the ghost and I literally had zero brakes. Just a good eye ahead and a riding within my limits and I never felt vulnerable at all. A tiger might have jumped out from behind a pine tree and tried to savage me, in which case I would have be glad of some brakes.....but life is full of possibilities.
Totally agree, for what its worth, Been riding mine over 10 years, solo, two up, loaded, whatever, engine braking and one finger, never had a problem, of course you also never know when there may be one ☺

it's a bloody good job I'm flame retardant- it's quite warm in here today! ;)

iIRC the standard oem fitment pads in 2000 were red backed Brembos. I've been told, on this forum, that these were, in fact, very soft race-spec sintered pads developed by Brembo for BMW, but they've since been replaced with the blue backed OEM HH sintered pads (the red/blue may be vice versa, don't hold me to that).

Working on BMW's since 1986 and i've never seen any red/blue oem backed pads fitted.
Usually just a brass/bronzed coloured backing to some oem pads.

I'm comfortable with any pad fitted and find it hard to tell the difference between different types, and believe me i get to ride one or two bikes a day with all ranges/makes/types of pads fitted.

The only pad i will not recommend is Goldfren, who have since changed their name to "Gold" because of their previous bad reputation. But saying that there are riders on UKGSer who have never had a problem with them.

I know you're a BMW guru steptoe! ;)

I'll dig out the comment if I get the time - it was interesting, and referred to the code on the pad and/or the colour supplied. I'll happily hold my hand up and stand corrected if I'm wrong though bud.

It really must be each to their own, based on bike, riding style and other preferences. Thing is, once I've found something which works I'm likely to stick with it, as the alternative could (in the case of things like brakes and tyres) be disastrous. It could be better too....but if it went wrong I'd blame myself for not sticking with what I know.

I once bought a bike with Avon Vipers fitted. It spat me off with no warning, and I've never looked at Avon tyres since. Other folk love them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my pads from Motorworks last time.

But I'm lost as to what the fuss is about? Nor am i sure i understand the issue with cost of the pads?

Blimey! Is 32 quid really enough to start searching for cheaper?

Attachments

• MW brembo pads tokico.jpg
    MW brembo pads tokico.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 221
  • MW Bremobo rear tokico pads.jpg
    MW Bremobo rear tokico pads.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 208
I would defer to Steptoes knowledge and experience, it is real world based.

There are very few if any "bad" pads on sale now a day's; there's a lot of subjective personal preference.
Personally, the gs isn't that pad sensitive compared to a rr but there will be others who disagree.

There is value for money compared to cheap, I'm sure your life is worth the extra money.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I got my pads from Motorworks last time.

But I'm lost as to what the fuss is about? Nor am i sure i understand the issue with cost of the pads?

Blimey! Is 32 quid really enough to start searching for cheaper?

Many thanks for posting this image. I now know where I could find the Brembo blue pads :thumb

The real question is: should I get blue pads or red pads?

As mentioned in one of my previous post I don't mind spending 20/30 quid extra on braking pads as it's very important to get them right. I'd just like to know which one I should get.

If we consider Brembo, can someone (Steptoe maybe) advice on which I should get between red and blue? Thanks!

Many thanks for posting this image. I now know where I could find the Brembo blue pads :thumb

The real question is: should I get blue pads or red pads?

As mentioned in one of my previous post I don't mind spending 20/30 quid extra on braking pads as it's very important to get them right. I'd just like to know which one I should get.

If we consider Brembo, can someone (Steptoe maybe) advice on which I should get between red and blue? Thanks!

FFS

I chose Carbon Ceramic blue ones on a non ABS 1150 GSA, the feel and braking is fab and they are the closest to the oem BMW (Brembo) pads originally supplied to my bike when new

If you still can't choose a pad, after 3 pages of info on this thread...................perhaps you should question if you should be riding a GSA or change the pads yourself:blast

FFS

I chose Carbon Ceramic blue ones on a non ABS 1150 GSA, the feel and braking is fab and they are the closest to the oem BMW (Brembo) pads originally supplied to my bike when new

If you still can't choose a pad, after 3 pages of info on this thread...................perhaps you should question if you should be riding a GSA or change the pads yourself:blast

I wouldn't consider this 3 pages of info. Perhaps it's more 3 pages of opinions. Don't you agree? Anyway, many thanks for your advice :thumb2

I'm oriented to get Brembo, I'd just like to know which one between blue and red. I've already excluded all the other options, whether they are good or not.

I wouldn't consider this 3 pages of info. Perhaps it's more 3 pages of opinions. Don't you agree? Anyway, many thanks for your advice :thumb2

I'm oriented to get Brembo, I'd just like to know which one between blue and red. I've already excluded all the other options, whether they are good or not.

Pick whichever colour you like best then

I've given you my opinion (for what it's worth) after 21 years riding Oilhead GS bikes like the 1100GS/1150GS and 1150 GSA

If you still can't choose, is there any hope??

Do you have so much anxiety over choosing to eat - meat or fish?..............both will do the same job to provide your body with protein and nourish you

FFS man, get a grip:blast

Depends on what colour "flashes" are on your ADV tank... If you have the red flashes on the tank get red brembos, if you have the blue flashes get the blue ones. :thumb2

Colour co-ordination will make just as much difference to the braking as the pad.

I can see there's a lot of banter going on here... I'm glad to relieve your Monday's stress!

JohnnyBoxer

I'm vegetarian, so no meat / fish for me! :D

Jokes aside you are not obliged to reply to my posts if you don't want to.

StepToe

I thought that there was some difference in terms of characteristics / performance between the red and blue Brembo. Is that not the case?

StepToe

I thought that there was some difference in terms of characteristics / performance between the red and blue Brembo. Is that not the case?

I doubt you'd ever notice any difference riding a GS on the road.

And i'm begining to think this thread is a wind up :D

I can see there's a lot of banter going on here... I'm glad to relieve your Monday's stress!

JohnnyBoxer

I'm vegetarian, so no meat / fish for me! :D

Jokes aside you are not obliged to reply to my posts if you don't want to.

Now, that explains a lot:D

Jesus....is this still going on it's a 1150 for christ's sake not a MotoGP bike! If it had 4 wheels it would be a tractor FFS (and don't you smart arses get clever by saying it would be a quad...you know what I mean)!

Jesus....is this still going on it's a 1150 for christ's sake not a MotoGP bike! If it had 4 wheels it would be a tractor FFS (and don't you smart arses get clever by saying it would be a quad...you know what I mean)!

Not sure whether you've been obliged to reply... what's the matter about getting so upset?

brembo

I fitted brembo (red) sintered pads 3 k miles ago, and they have absolutely eaten my rear disc. now needs replacement 14000 on the clock.

Back
Top Bottom