Rear Subframe Corrosion

Has the press ever picked up on this corrosion business? I have a Sept 2015 GS with 9,000 miles ,I dont ride in the winter so I have no corrosion except a grotty centre stand and the side stand has worn down to the bare metal in a small area,oh and the clocks misted up once during a weeks riding in the rain in Scotland.Forgot ,new water pump too at 1 year old.I was toying with the idea of changing to an Exclusive but it makes you think twice ,the quality seems a bit of a lottery.

I also have a 2012 ZZR1400 owned from new ,no corrosion that I can see and has only been back to the dealer for servicing !

Has the press ever picked up on this corrosion business? I have a Sept 2015 GS with 9,000 miles ,I dont ride in the winter so I have no corrosion except a grotty centre stand and the side stand has worn down to the bare metal in a small area,oh and the clocks misted up once during a weeks riding in the rain in Scotland.Forgot ,new water pump too at 1 year old.I was toying with the idea of changing to an Exclusive but it makes you think twice ,the quality seems a bit of a lottery.

I also have a 2012 ZZR1400 owned from new ,no corrosion that I can see and has only been back to the dealer for servicing !

the so called bike magazines only say some owners have had corrosion issues which BMW will put right. Not entirely true is it? Bike magazines are meant to be independant are they not... the cycnical view is that if they piss off BMW, launch bikes, test gear etc will be restricted!

How is it than even cheap cars come with a 7 year anti corrosion warranty yet top spec bikes are rusty in 18 months.

Sent somehow.

the so called bike magazines only say some owners have had corrosion issues which BMW will put right. Not entirely true is it? Bike magazines are meant to be independant are they not... the cycnical view is that if they piss off BMW, launch bikes, test gear etc will be restricted!

That is true. Some owners have had corrosion issues, not all of them.

I popped into Vines this morning, they took some pics and said they would contact BMW about it. First question was 'what do you wash it with' so i presume there are some cleaning products that shouldn't be used (where's that specified?) he mentioned Muc Off as one. I just use a car plan shampoo and sponge personally so its definitely not that. The worrying part is there are definitely some corrosion spots on the main frame. If BMW can / will replace these parts, I will schedule it in come Spring time.

Is muc off that bad... I have used it for years, and now I am thinking I need to chuck it out. I have always covered my bikes in Scottoiler FS365. Used mucoff on my K1600 for three years.... it had no corrosion. But have just bought a 16 gsa... muc in the bin?..:green gri is this a BMW problem or gs wc problem..... what would you all recommend when I have binned the mucoff :mad:

Is muc off that bad... I have used it for years, and now I am thinking I need to chuck it out. I have always covered my bikes in Scottoiler FS365. Used mucoff on my K1600 for three years.... it had no corrosion. But have just bought a 16 gsa... muc in the bin?..:green gri is this a BMW problem or gs wc problem..... what would you all recommend when I have binned the mucoff :mad:

SDOC100 power gel :thumb

You only need to look at other manufacturers to see that the old 'EU crap paint' thing is a red herring. Pop into the Orange section in here where people tend to ride their bikes all year round and ask who has issues with corrosion and/or poor paint quality.

As I said before, along with others, the current issue with WBM is poor surface prep followed by poor quality application of paint. It's NOT to do with using modern low volatile paints and it's not to do with riding the bike through the winter.

Andres

My mis then :blast I don't go into the Orange section very often so wasn't aware they are able to paint a bike properly, so if they can do it there's no reason BMW can't either especially as has already been said they're not a budget bike.

Picking up my new bike next week, looks like i wont be riding it till may looking at them pictures:eek::eek:

LOL, me too...
Ive bought a bottle of Corrosion X (best stuff I hear?) which I am going to fucking cover the pig in it before I even ride it...

Cheers Nutty, I will be getting myself some pronto... the mucoff can fucoff now:D

HAHA, what wrong with mucoff anyway? Thought it was a good pre-wash? Bloke in Demon Tweeks swore by it.
Might have to chuck mine over next doors fence also???:rolleyes:

HAHA, what wrong with mucoff anyway? Thought it was a good pre-wash? Bloke in Demon Tweeks swore by it.
Might have to chuck mine over next doors fence also???:rolleyes:

Mine might find its way into my pain-in-the-arse neighbors water feature :hide:hide:nono

BMW really do need to sort out their paint and finishing process as it seems to be sketchy to say the least.

Was in a dealers a month or two back and on one of their own hire bikes the black finish on the fork legs had all but disappeared leaving them a mottled black/gold colour (it looked as if it had been removed with wire wool and cellulose thinners)

Same dealer had a customers bike sitting there a very early gs lc with high miles (and silver engine) and it was immaculate, next to it was a mid to late 2014 bike with low miles that looked immaculate ie the tank paint but the engine, final drive and brake fittings were absolutly minging with corrosion and flaking paint

Having been struggling all winter to get these wheels clean, I took them off this weekend and had a real good go at them on a bench with a PH Neutral cleaner, car shampoo and elbow grease. This is as good as i can get them. They were fine last winter, as were my grey cross spoke wheels on my GS the year before. I also ran a 990ADV with black spoked rims through winters without issue. No wonder I couldn't get them clean, its corrosion on the rim. I know it looks like dirt which can be wiped off, but its not. I even tried a small section with the scouring part of a kitchen sponge but nothing..... bugger. Anyone recommend a way to clean these up?

Nothing yet. Didn't know if they would be interested in the wheels? Haven't said anything to them about it. They are certainly looking into the sub-frame, swing arm and brake lever.

Get them to check the wheels, when my RT LC was disintegrating I got a new rear wheel to, as well as FD, Cardon, Engine, Brake Hoses and the list went on, over £8k Warranty work. Bike ended up going back to BMW with a negotiated deal on a new bike + some clothing as compensation.

Nothing yet. Didn't know if they would be interested in the wheels? Haven't said anything to them about it. They are certainly looking into the sub-frame, swing arm and brake lever.

They will replace the wheels under warranty.

They will replace the wheels under warranty.

It's great that BMW seem to be good about replacing bits under warranty and all, but is there any evidence that they're making an effort to improve the finish to make it less of an issue in the future? Or is the attitude just that despite these being 'adventure' bikes most riders are doing the same 3-5k sunny miles a year as the average UK rider so it only affects a minority and why dip into the profit margins?

Back
Top Bottom