Newbie seeks tips on Navigator V...

Phill Elston

Rum Bosun
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

A BMW Novice/newbie here. Just getting to grips with the Navigator V on my 1st ever Beemer - a brand new Triple Black.

Does anyone know if there is a way of loading OS mapping for the UK?

I know OS mapping is available on some Garmin products... Wondered if its available for these?

If it is... Where and how? :)

By OS do you mean:

1. Open Street maps

2. Ordnance Survey maps

Open Street maps are fully loadsble, zoomable and above all routable. All they don't have is a post code look-up capability. Lots of people use and like them.

Ordnance Survey maps are available, loaded onto an SD card. I guess they might well display but how usable (routable / zoomable etc) they are on a Nav V, I have no idea, I'm afraid. Something tells me that the maps are only fully compatible with Garmin's handheld GPS devices, as used by hardy hill hikers, in heavy knit woolen socks. There is no specific mention of the maps being fully compatible with automotive GPS devices on this page:

http://www.garmin.com/uk/maps/onthetrail

Though plenty about the maps working perfectly on handheld devices.

What you might be able to do is use a workaround. Load the Ordnance Survey map(s) into BaseCamp or I guess Mapsource on your computer, from where they should be viewable and routable. Plot out your route as normal. Transfer the route (you might have to do it as a track, I don't know) to your Nav V, where it should run quite normally.

In short, play around. You can't break it.

PS The colour of your motorbike makes no difference.

Ord Survey maps can be loaded onto basecamp as an overlay

I have not found a way of using them on the device but then again i didn't try too hard as in all honesty they are very memory intensive and make route planning a bit of a pain

If you want the OS map overlay here you go

https://www.dropbox.com/s/25xbsvegg4hir5k/GB250000 1.GPX?dl=0

Back
Top Bottom