Brake light failure on!!!

smally

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Folks was out for a nice spin in the rain today and about 40 miles in my brake warning light came on. Red and flashing and the explanation mark solid. The brakes still worked but i noticed the abs function had stopped. When i stopped the bike and switched it off then restarted it the problem had gone for about 5 miles. then all beeping and flashing!!!

It is a 2004 1200GS with around 15k on the clock.
i replaced the battery with an Oddessy one last year
it has been on the optimate all winter
and finally i replaced the indicators with a set of nippy norman led type indicators recently.

any advice gladly appreciated as i am about 90 miles from our only BMW dealer.
Thanks

Very rare that I have a clue on these matters, but if you replaced filament brake lights with LEDs that's probably the problem. LEDs have a much higher resistance than filament bulbs and the bike has determined that the bulbs have blown.

Same happened on my 1150. I just ignored it.

Very rare that I have a clue on these matters, but if you replaced filament brake lights with LEDs that's probably the problem. LEDs have a much higher resistance than filament bulbs and the bike has determined that the bulbs have blown.

Same happened on my 1150. I just ignored it.

I do see what you are saying but, If that was the case wouldn't it have been that the warning light would have appeared
on the self check at start up and remained rather than appearing after 40 miles? :nenau

I do see what you are saying but, If that was the case wouldn't it have been that the warning light would have appeared
on the self check at start up and remained rather than appearing after 40 miles? :nenau
True. Unless the resistance was marginal.

Why don't you temporarily replace the filament bulbs

doh i sold them on!!! I think will check garage, think that may be the issue as have read a few other posts similar.

Back
Top Bottom