Engine colour

Robjamez

Reaction score
Just wondering, I have a yellow 2003 R1150GS with a black engine. Every picture I've seen of this colour scheme has a silver engine. Was this an option when new or could the engine have been replaced at some point? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep engines could be either silver or black

Originally 1150's were silver engined and then the UK decide to order them mostly in black

However at production end, in May 2005 I was still able to order a new bike with a silver engine, at no cost..... as opposed to the default black engine

If you have the lower 6th gear (GSA style) then you may have got one of the rarer 1150 GS Sport models, which had a black engine and came out in 2003

Thank you, that's very interesting. Is there anywhere I could find out? Engine numbers for example?

Thank you, that's very interesting. Is there anywhere I could find out? Engine numbers for example?

Any UK BMW dealer, will tell you the full original spec of your bike, any official warranty work administered to it and any official dealer network engine change - just tell them your VIN

Certainly faster than my last bike!
But reading up a bit it seems the sport didn't have ABS, which mine certainly did originally.
So it's nothing special, just has a black engine.
But it's still a GS and I love it!

there should be a serial number stamped on the right hand 'bell housing' side of the gearbox, several numbers ending in three letters. might get an idea cross referencing that with the examples on Anton's site:

http://largiader.com/tech/oiltrans/

FYI my GS now has a black gearbox, though it came off a 1998 RT.

Back
Top Bottom