F800GS - 2010 - engine "idle" revs whilst riding

bobbsy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello all,

I wonder if someone may have come across this before. I've an F800 GS, 2010 model, since new - approx 40k miles. Hard to explain.

The last few weeks (might even be months), the engine revs are behaving a bit differently. Bike rides as normal when accelerating etc. Bike idles as normal when at a standstill. However, if I am riding, with the clutch in (like approaching traffic lights etc), the engine revs much higher than idle (call it 1500-2000 rpm,). Then when I come to a stop, the engine goes back to normal idle (roughly 1100-1200rpm). If i test this by pulling the clutch in when travelling at speed, the same higher revs occur, but as soon as I';m stationary, they drop to normal idle.

It never used to behave this way - any ideas of what to look at/check?

many thanks

Could it be the engine revs hold to ease gear changes , cant say Ive noticed on both my 800 twins. It sounds like software as it ticks over normally when stopped.

Hanging tick over can also be an air leak, although the air filter connectors are all under the tank on these so less likely to have been knocked or disturbed

Thanks Steve.

Main thing is that is has not done it for the 12 3/4 years prior! And it hasn't had any software update for at least a few years.

Assume you have a full service history, including the fuel pump replacement??

Check you battery condition & connections first - it could be something that simple. Also check around the TBs for air leaks, or failed/kinked tubing.

Otherwise I guess it could be the TPS giving some strange readings that the ECU can't understand - best get the codes read, dealer or GS911 & see if they provide a guide.

Full service history yes - although it's never had a fuel pump replacement.

Battery, stator, reg/rec all replaced last winter,

Squibb - TB's, whats that short for? and TPS?

Cheers

Some of the fuel pumps on the earlier 800GS models suffered when the tank was less than a quarter full (ish) and the ambient temperature was in the high 30’s centigrade.

The stator suffers from overheating on the pre 2013 bikes due to lack of cooling via the flywheel.

Full service history yes - although it's never had a fuel pump replacement.

Battery, stator, reg/rec all replaced last winter,

Squibb - TB's, whats that short for? and TPS?

Cheers
TB Throttle bodies , TPS Throttle position sensor. Loose battery leads normally cause the revcounter / speedo to double sweep , so it doesnt sound like that. Have you tried googling the issue, there used to be some American sites F800riders.org? Which had a lot of users and such a lot of knowledge .
Heres an example of F700 hanging

Is there a throttle reset procedure eg ignition off rotate throttle etc , Ive never had to do one but the lads on the KTM site sometimes do it after ecu tuning.

Good luck with the faultfinding

Hello all,

I wonder if someone may have come across this before. I've an F800 GS, 2010 model, since new - approx 40k miles. Hard to explain.

The last few weeks (might even be months), the engine revs are behaving a bit differently. Bike rides as normal when accelerating etc. Bike idles as normal when at a standstill. However, if I am riding, with the clutch in (like approaching traffic lights etc), the engine revs much higher than idle (call it 1500-2000 rpm,). Then when I come to a stop, the engine goes back to normal idle (roughly 1100-1200rpm). If i test this by pulling the clutch in when travelling at speed, the same higher revs occur, but as soon as I';m stationary, they drop to normal idle.

It never used to behave this way - any ideas of what to look at/check?

many thanks
IIRC it runs an idle control valve and idle control vacuum hoses (same set up as the F800ST). My first check would be the vacuum hoses to check they've not split/perished thus causing the idle speed to increase. Whilst although in there, its worth removing the ICV for a clean up too - and if you have access to a GS-911 to re-calibrate the stepper motor too.

Back
Top Bottom