Has anyone compared Avon Trailriders and Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR

GSJones

Reaction score
Hi

Considering the above two tyres and after views from anyone who has used both.

I expect the pirellis to be much better than the avons off road. However, how do they compare on road in dry and wet? Would I be comprimising on road performance significantly if i went with the pirellis? Finally, how do they compare on longevity?

Thanks

Up until now the Trailrider is my favourite tyre on the GS Adventure but I have a set of the new Pirelli ordered........my dealer won't have them in the 110 - 150 sizes until December or even January.
Looking forward to trying the Scorpion STR.

Sent from a U11

Sorry.....just realised this is the water-cooled section.

Sent from a U11

I’ve got scorpion rally STR’s. I’ve only done about 500 miles on them but :D
Very positive compared to the Anakee3
Can’t say for in dirt... yet

That's good to know. On anakee 3 now and they've been fine on the road. Just starting to square off and get a kittle squirmy. If the pirellis are no worse on road that's promising.

That's good to know. On anakee 3 now and they've been fine on the road. Just starting to square off and get a kittle squirmy. If the pirellis are no worse on road that's promising.

Although not watercooled,

i have trailriders on my Hexhead.

Coming from Karoo 3's there a big change- you feel more road hardware - cats eyes etc, but gain lots of grip.

In the dry i dont have any hesitation of tipping it into a roundabout and going round.

The Karoos, always gave me the feeling of being on a cliff edge

I hav'nt expolored the wet grip capabilities fully, (not that i'd want to lol) but its pretty safe to say they have more grip than i'd care to exploit

My A3's lasted 3,000 miles before they squared off and started to feel squirrely on hard riding. I like them when they are fresh, but I guess I tend to push the bike hard on tarmac. I have never had an issue with the A3's, but the noise - it drove me mad, even with earplugs. I tried the Trailriders on a short 30 min ride on another GS, and they were silent to me. Felt very smooth and had great grip. Did not take it off road.

Then I tried the Rally STR's on another GS. I ended up buying a set of those.

Only done about 500 miles on them so far, but I'm impressed with them at this stage. In the dry, I can throw caution to the wind and lean them over as far as the A3's with no issue. I was scraping my boot at times with the A3's on the mountain roads in Spain, but still had about a cm strip unused on the rear tyre, whereas on the STR's it goes right to the edge as they are obviously not so rounded.

Whilst testing, I even purposely leant over under acceleration over some very broken tarmac, and the front skipped over the holes but instantly grabbed again, so Im fairly confident with their grip.

I took them on some off-road over Salisbury Plain and had no issues, but it was generally dry! I will look for their limits off-road at some stage - but I think I will probably get to my limits first! I've done the BMW off road course on a filthy weekend in Wales and the supplied Karoo 3's were quite impressive in the muck and water, so I will want to see if they match up. I will be pleasantly surprised if they do!

On the road, I find the STR's a little noisy, but bizarelly only at 45mph and 75mph which must be resonant frequencies or something. However, for me, there's no horrible whine like I get with the Anakee 3's so am happy anyway. At speeds below 30mph, the ride isn't as smooth as a 90/10 tyre, but that's to be expected. As an all round tyre, so far, I think it's the best out there for my kind of riding, as I aim to do more and more off-road, but dont want to compromise tarmac ability, as thats where I spend most of my time in reality.

I guess it depends on what you want. If you are restricting yourself to fire-roads and the like, then the Trailriders will be great. If you plan to get a little bit more adventurous off road, then the STR's are better, without really giving anything away on tarmac. (They also look the part on the bike if that sort of thing appeals!)

Just my two pence worth....

That's a great help.
I think I'm in a similar situation - by far majority of riding on road but would like to do more off road. Anakees not very confidence inspiring - i live up a pretty greasy, grimy lane and have no idea when they will or won't grip! I imagine the trailriders would be similarly limited, looking at their tread pattern. It is good to hear that they aren't going to be any worse on road than what I'm used to.

The other side of the argument is that i'm struggling to find places to go off road on an expensive-to-repair quarter ton machine, so do i need anything more than the trailriders?!

The other side of the argument is that i'm struggling to find places to go off road on an expensive-to-repair quarter ton machine, so do i need anything more than the trailriders?!

I had those thoughts, but decided that if an off-road section got a bit sketchy, (after starting a trail that looked fine!), then the STR's are likely to keep me sunny side up rather than the Trailriders!

Getting to the point of pulling thr trigger on one of these very shortly. Any final words?!

Ive had the Avon’s on a 800 gs and a 1200 they are superb wet or dry , they take a little time to bed in .

I have had both the Avons are a decent tyre, if anything they feel a bit under inflated when you first hit the bends but that soon goes away as they don't last long ;)

So next to try was the Rally STR that was earlier on in the year, I am now on my third set
Best tyre I have had on any GS

Heres a quick first view of them since then they have been around the Alps and a few camping trips around Scotland

https://spark.adobe.com/page/l1fJh9hRiulIR/

Hope this helps you :thumb

Back
Top Bottom