Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. Fantastic service and unbelievable performance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Handling of lowered GSA vs standard height, part 2

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by fred_jb View Post
    I have a lowered GS, which I believe is significantly lower even than the lowered GSA. I did a couple of thousand miles touring in the summer with pillion and luggage, very near to the maximum payload of the bike, with no issues, even in the twisties and around hairpins, and I definitely believe that the self leveling suspension makes a big contribution to this.

Of course there were no peg scraping antics, you would have to be a braver man than me to subject my wife to that sort of riding!
    The peg scraping I encountered on the lowered GSA is my main concern. Luckily, I always ride solo.

I owned both models, first the lowered bike and fairly recently the standard height model. I never felt the lowered one suffered for handling when fully loaded, although I don’t carry a pillion. I’d agree with the OP’s assessment that the lowered bike is a touch more flickable but there wasn’t much in it - but being able to easily reach the ground on uneven surfaces was very much worth it.

Great bike but fully loaded with a pillion you do scrape the pegs/boots often (well in germany anyways).

Could do with being an inch higher in 2up mode.

Apart from that, I love the way it handles.

Took it onto nordschleife and it couldn't be faulted, the bike is more capable than me

Bloody mud ruts! Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash700 View Post
    Being a detective of some years experience you cannot for one minute tell me what I expected

I quote from your OP.
    "I was curious and also believed that physics would surely play a part in making a difference"

Your words not mine..

You seem able to also tell me what I felt? IÂ’ll tell you what I felt... I felt the benefit of the lower COG.
    I quote from your OP.

"it's just that the lowered bike felt a tad better and slightly more precise mid bend"

Again, your words not mine.? which I'm not disputing.

Have you ever raced a bike, jacked it up at the rear to make it turn quicker, or dropped the forks through the yolks?
    Not raced but fitted adv shock to my gs outfit and rt 17" front wheel to reduce trail and make the steering lighter but that's irrelevant as it's not about what I've done, this is about your OP.

Both of those mods steepen the steering angle...which makes turn in quicker..along with adjusting the COG....but then you'd know that, wouldn't you?

As I understand it, the lowering is uniform hence steering geometry remains unchanged however wheelbase is reduced slightly which will also have a slight benefit in turn in at the expense of high speed stability...again but I'm telling you what you already know aren't I?

I'm not the one who set out to do a qualitative assessment....I'm just pointing out that without factual data your assessment is meaningless to anyone else as it felt better to only you and the placebo effect means that any actual benefit you think you felt could just be placebo as it could be too minute to discern.....

Yes, I said I believed it would make a difference, I didn’t state whether it would be beneficial - to be honest I thought it might make it feel a bit lazier, but that wasn’t what I found.

Good god man... now you are telling me what I was thinking!

Bloody mud ruts! Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Yes, I said I believed it would make a difference, I didn’t state whether it would be beneficial -.
    "Many of you will already know that the standard height GS handles slightly better than the standard height GSA. "

..........so you didn't believe the "many" and their anecdotal evidence....

to be honest I thought it might make it feel a bit lazier, but that wasn’t what I found
    That I am surprised at...with all your alleged experience and expertise....kinda goes against the laws of physics...but then in your world laws are open to interpretation are they not assuming you are / were a detective in the police?

good god man... now you are telling me what I was thinking!
    yeeesss...suggest you read any good anatomy and physiology book and a good neurology book you might then understand the connection between "feeling" and "thinking".

Firstly, I’d just like to clarify a couple of things. I’m 6’2” and have inside leg of 34” so have no physical need of the lowered height option.
    I’m identical height and leg to yourself and have found that when I’m doing lots of city centre commuting I put the standard seat in the low position as it gives a much better flat foot on the ground when wiggling between cars so have been thinking would it be better with lowered version so I could have the better ergo of the seat in the high position.
    I just don’t think I like the slightly squashed look of look of the lowered version.
    How did you find it over bumps etc? Is there less travel on the spring with the lowered version?

Quote Originally Posted by blueranger View Post
    "Many of you will already know that the standard height GS handles slightly better than the standard height GSA. "

..........so you didn't believe the "many" and their anecdotal evidence....

That I am surprised at...with all your alleged experience and expertise....kinda goes against the laws of physics...but then in your world laws are open to interpretation are they not assuming you are / were a detective in the police?

yeeesss...suggest you read any good anatomy and physiology book and a good neurology book you might then understand the connection between "feeling" and "thinking".
    I actually didn’t know that the standard GS was lower than the standard GSA until I looked into it. The GS with it’s lower height and slightly lighter weight is probably where the difference is made.

Blueranger, I see a forum with a common interest such as motorcycles (especially branded motorcycles) as a friendly place where members can share experiences, pose questions and discuss related issues. You seem to be one of those people who go out of their way to pick holes and discredit what others say. But you are an engineer and know best! Too many people now hide behind a social platform and have absolutely no qualms about sticking their oar in, being confrontational and rude to others at a safe distance - it’s not making for a better world!

The only reason I posted my findings was to hopefully give others a little insight. I’m not Marc Marquez, I’m not Leoarndo da Vinci, I am who I am but can tell the difference between certain things. What I felt was physical, not mental. The result of the detection of physical difference led to a mental feeling. I can assure you I’ve read several books on those subjects, but if I get stuck my good friend and next door neighbour is a teaching neurosurgeon and my wife is a consultant. In addition... one brother-in-law is a Dr of physics as well as a patent lawyer (his Tesla has a very low COG, but that’s another story), the other is a precision toolmaker. So you see, I have many sources of information at hand, I t’s just a shame you don’t live across the road so that I’d be able to consult with you too. Oh well, you can’t have it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Weird Bob View Post
    I’m identical height and leg to yourself and have found that when I’m doing lots of city centre commuting I put the standard seat in the low position as it gives a much better flat foot on the ground when wiggling between cars so have been thinking would it be better with lowered version so I could have the better ergo of the seat in the high position.
    I just don’t think I like the slightly squashed look of look of the lowered version.
    How did you find it over bumps etc? Is there less travel on the spring with the lowered version?
    Bob, I didn’t get to take it over too many bumps so I can’t really say. I did notice that ‘Normal’ ESA felt just slightly firmer than ‘Normal’ on my own bike. From what I’ve read, this is probably down to the spring rate on the lowered version. I think BMW have done a great job of keeping them so similar in feel (I’m talking physical feel here, just in case anyone is confused), they’ve clearly engineered the reduced travel suspension quite well.

Like you, I’m not such a fan of that slightly squashed look. Because of cornering ground clearance and the (to me) slightly squashed look, I’ll probably end up with a standard height bike when I do the deal - although the low one did track nicely...

Ash700 well I think your comments are very helpful and I would forget about some of the negative comments. Sorry to say “some” of the post replies ( not often) are from either complete numpties or show offs, but I would like to think most guys on here are bikers not argumentive posers but obviously some fit in that bracket. They certainly wouldn’t be biker guys I would hang or ride out with.
    Keep going friend.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy23 View Post
    Ash700 well I think your comments are very helpful and I would forget about some of the negative comments. Sorry to say “some” of the post replies ( not often) are from either complete numpties or show offs, but I would like to think most guys on here are bikers not argumentive posers but obviously some fit in that bracket. They certainly wouldn’t be biker guys I would hang or ride out with.
    Keep going friend.
    Says the Ł12 wanker who likes to derail threads with nonsense

+1. Ash, just ignore the sanctimonious pricks - they’ve got nothing better to do!

To fredaroony At least I’m not a sarcastic numptie like you. I can’t be that bad as I once stopped some crew chucking a numptie with your attitude overboard.

Keep going friend.
    Thanks Fishy, that’s very heartening.

To fredaroony At least I’m not a sarcastic numptie like you. I can’t be that bad as I once stopped some crew chucking a numptie with your attitude overboard.
    I can just imagine you are some geriatric know it all pompous douchebag. You really are a cretin...

You can't even work out how to quote properly in this forum

Ok... I’m laughing now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast