How to stretch my riding boot?

Was that for width or length ???

As digga said, it gave the shoes more width.

I positioned them toe down in the freezer with the plastic bag full of water filling the front part of each shoe.

Batman you wouldn’t want to do this but we had an old guy who told us young uns horrendous stories of his experiences in the trenches. He said ( seriously) he pissed in his boots to soften them up when they got replacements.

It works. Did it to many a pair of issued boots. Ironically you piss in the shower then stand in it to harden the soles of your feet.

As digga said, it gave the shoes more width.

I positioned them toe down in the freezer with the plastic bag full of water filling the front part of each shoe.

Cheers for that, at least I know it works, I used to get the kettle on them.

It works. Did it to many a pair of issued boots. Ironically you piss in the shower then stand in it to harden the soles of your feet.

ex miner here .... and it cures athletes foot as well ..

ex miner here .... and it cures athletes foot as well ..

When glass cutting was done by hand, the glass cutters used to get blisters between their fingers from repetitive use of the cutting tools.
To harden their skin they used to piss on their hands and rub it in.
Thank god I worked at the furnace end.:D

Urine works on leather to soften it.

The Leather Museum in Walsall educated us on this topic from the old days while we did a factory tour.

The term 'piss pot' came from this process where tanneries would collect urine from these pots left out in the street.

The leather museum in Walsall ??
You know how to organise a good day out ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Organise a trip .. it’s a must do ..!!

Who ever started the urine idea on here was spot on...this from the net.....

Ammonia in water acts as a caustic but weak base. Its high pH breaks down organic material, making urine the perfect substance for ancients to use in softening and tanning animal hides. Soaking animal skins in urine also made it easier for leather workers to remove hair and bits of flesh from the skin.20 Aug 2013
From Gunpowder to Teeth Whitener: The Science Behind Historic Uses ...

Also they used to ship barrels of urine from Newcastle down to London for other processes, apparently the northern piss was better than the southern piss........
Suppose it’s a bit like the beer :beerjug:g:jes

Who ever started the urine idea on here was spot on...this from the net.....

Ammonia in water acts as a caustic but weak base. Its high pH breaks down organic material, making urine the perfect substance for ancients to use in softening and tanning animal hides. Soaking animal skins in urine also made it easier for leather workers to remove hair and bits of flesh from the skin.20 Aug 2013
From Gunpowder to Teeth Whitener: The Science Behind Historic Uses ...

Also they used to ship barrels of urine from Newcastle down to London for other processes, apparently the northern piss was better than the southern piss........
Suppose it’s a bit like the beer :beerjug:g:jes

That would be because we have good quality water, unlike that London nasty stuff that makes shit tea, and turns a shave into a proper scratchy affair.

Yeah but that’s why us southerners are all
manly and you northerners are all poofters ...

(Norfolk and Lincolnshire are considered ‘north’ ...)

I’m posting my Daytona’s back to Germany for a bit of winter maintenance, and will need to use a temporary pair of Alpine Stars that are a half size too small, I can get the A/Stars on with the inner sole removed and thin socks but they are tight.
I’ve tried some various potions and polishes but with limited results.

Having searched the net for ideas it appears that I have two more options to try...

1. Stuff a zipped bag of water into the boot and pop the boot into the freezer for a couple of days. The water will expand as it freezes and slowly stretch the boots.

2. Submerge the boots and get them completely wet through then wear them whilst wet until they dry out by which time they should be fixed?

Has anyone tried either of these methods and did they work, before I start to leave wet footprints all over my house.?

Don't know about the boots; but soaking in a bath in your new Levis used to work.:D

The leather museum in Walsall ??
You know how to organise a good day out ..

Haha Yeah exactly.

Me and Louise went as we've lived here years but never visited the Walsall Leather Museum.

The event was absolutely dire and almost a waste of time, except for right at the end.

In the very last room was one man. All he did was tell stories about the Leather industry, handing out leather types (can you guess if it's fake or real, how to spot fake leather, whats the difference between suede, how its made, different animal leathers and guess what's what, which part of the animal (and some parts were very unexpected haha) etc.

He had us completely captivated for an hour with his stories (examples being samurai sword handles and stingray leather due to texture and grip levels when blood soaked, completely smooth until wrapped and then tiny scales stick out and very grippy) and his knowledge tests, costs of leather around the world, why handmade goods cost so much, stitching quality, snake skins and guess what type of snake, length (some unravelled were massive length), what skiving is etc.

Completely turned the visit around for us, just that one chap and his stories. Very very interesting.

If he'd been on a lunch break we wouldn't have looked back :D

Don't know about the boots; but soaking in a bath in your new Levis used to work.:D

Yep, I remember doing that, but that was to shrink them and make 'em tighter!

Well although I won't seriously be pissing in my boots, I have enjoyed a good laugh from this posting.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom