The cheapest 1100 Screen mod!

<<Mark_C>>

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Surely this has been tried before?? If not why not??

The problem:-
Buffeting & wind noise at speeds over 50/60mph (5'11 rider)

The solution:-
Remove the bottom fixings from the standard screen and throw them away. Provide new slightly longer bolts with nylock nuts and 1" diameter rubber washers to the upper fixing points. Fit the rubber washers between the screen inner face and elongated hole on the mount. Screen will now adjust from bolt upright right through to laying flat on the clocks. If you get the bolts just tight enough, the screen can be adjusted through its full travel whilst on the move. The rubber gives a "friction" fit and prevents the screen being pushed down/back at higher speeds.

Result:-
In the "lay down flat mode", a gap opens up between the top of the headlight and the screen. This completely eliminates buffeting (for me anyway). Slightly more wind pressure is felt, but this is clean and quiet air and a big improvement!

In the "bolt upright mode", the bike retains its more usual (or is that unusual) appearance and can be rode below 50mph with visor up.

I'm newish to the GS and to these boards, so forgive me if this is old hat. - Couldn't see it mentioned when I did some searches about screens though.

If you've not tried it and are suffering give it a go - it costs pennies!

Mark

PS If i don't get flamed for this post I might even get round to doing the site sponser thingy so I can post a few piccies!

Thanks for the info Mark. I'm relatively new to GS's and have tried in the past to reduce the buffeting on my 1100 with the standard screen to no avail. I will definately try this mod.

:beerjug:

I just cut about an inch off the top of my screen. Still get a bit of wind pressure , but much smoother and quieter rather than the buffetting.

Need to take a bit of care with the dremmel though !

Sounds a good idea. I had a problem with buffeting on a K1200RS I used to own, a real pain on long journeys. I fixed it by fitting a 'Laminar Lip' which worked by letting some air in under the screen and an upside down aerofoil lifting the airflow over the riders head. looks like what you have done is having a similar effect.

Plan to try something similar on my recently acquired R100GSPD, will let you know the results

I just cut about an inch off the top of my screen. Still get a bit of wind pressure , but much smoother and quieter rather than the buffetting

I thought of doing something similar as I read some where that the buffeting was caused by the bubble of air behind the screen suddenly poping so causing the buffeting effect.

so I thought by removing some material from the bottom of the screen to help get some airflow between the screen and the clocks so stoping the bubble popping, I havn't done it yet as I'm trying to find a 2nd hand screen to try it with in case I'm taking b:cool:locks.

has anybody tried this ?

has anybody tried this ?

i think on advrider someone dremeled some NACA style ducts into the screen. Claimed they worked and made him more attractive to women. ;)

he should really have put a backplate behind the ducts to channel the air like a true NACA duct.
Also most ducts are in areas of medium air pressure, this placement is in a high pressure area.

more of a shaped hole really... :nenau.

motomartin said:
has anybody tried this ?

i think on advrider someone dremeled some NACA style ducts into the screen. Claimed they worked and made him more attractive to women. ;)

:thumb Reeeeeeecardo, Mr Suave :D

motomartin said:
he should really have put a backplate behind the ducts to channel the air like a true NACA duct.
Also most ducts are in areas of medium air pressure, this placement is in a high pressure area.

go ahead there...get the F1 head on you and sort out one for the 1100 ;)

I did the NACA modification to a Givi screen (with back plates).

Prior to that I reduced the height of the standard screen, tried laminar flow 'sandwich' arrangements and a variety of god-awfull extensions. Even made some 'tobinator' style devices.

To be fair they ALL reduced the buffetting, to some degree or other, compared to the standard screen on its own.

Undoubtedly, the quietest and smoothest air flow is achieved without any screen at all - but that limits motorway comfort - and I do 5-600 motoway miles a month. So I have settled on an MRA vario as the best solution in my case - little buffetting, not too much noise and pretty good protection from the elements.

I've also got bar risers with an inch and a bit of set back - this, unfortunately, puts my head in 'dirty' air from the screen so It can be a bit noisy at certain speeds - but I guess that's what ear plugs are for - and the risers do their job in the riding posture stakes.

I doubt it could ever be perfect - just gotta find what works best for you and get used to the (hopefully reduced) negative factors.

i already did - the laminar lip is a much more effective device than naca ducts in this application.

just open up the lower slot above the headlight for the same effect ??

motomartin said:

I meant to ask why do you need the back plates to make these work as NACA ducts? wouldn't the deflection off the dials housing do the same job ?

cheers

Back
Top Bottom