NEWZEALAND

TIGER11

Me and my partner are thinking about moveing to Newzealand to live and work.
Has anyone here done this and if so could you give me any help.
ie, did anyone regret it or was this the best thing they could have done, how hard is it to get work (i`m a joiner), what is the bike (GS) scene like.
Any info would be most welcome.

nick(tiger11)

There are a few members on the board who live in NZ.

Personally I haven't found anywhere else that I would rather live, but being a Kiwi I suppose I'm biased.

There are several on-line job sites where you can find details of jobs in NZ. For example in the NZ Herald Classified ads (http://www.nzherald.co.nz Ad listings/Employment/Job search. Enter 'joiner' or 'cabinetmaker' in the search field. You will get a number of job ads, mainly from the Auckland area.

The GS is one of the most popular of the BMW range of bikes in NZ. There is a BMW club web site at http://www.bmwor.org.nz/ Lots of great places to ride, and lots of gravel roads to explore.

A bloke I used to know returned here vowing never to return to NZ after 3 years over there.

Beautiful scenery etc but, in his words, 'the infrastructure is F**ked' - schools, health, public services in a right old state.

Try Oz was his advice.

But hey, that's just his opinion ... but if nothing else, it shows you need to research the proposed move carefully.

The guy who didn't like it out here was probably looking for things to blame due to a large amount of homesickness. He would be the 1st i've come across.
Down here in the South Island there are about 1 million people or less than there are in greater Auckland so that means plenty of wide open spaces and GS type roads. Whats really big is trail ride days out on hill country farms but these are more for the XR Honda/KTM et al type bikes. There is at least one every second weekend within 2 hours drive from Christchurch.
Because of the lack of people in general the "GS" scene is not that big - just a couple of mates will head out for a weekend following old pioneering routes with river crossings, mountain passes etc.
for job info try www.jobstuff.co.nz - having a trade you shouldn't have any problems finding a job.
Good luck

Hi Nick,
I mailed a work collegue on your behalf who has recently transferred his job from the UK to New Zealand and was expecting a couple of useful hints, here is his response!! :eek
The Immigration Process

This was relatively straight forward for me as I already had a job to got to and *** is a New Zealand Immigration Service (NZIS) employer, which apparenetly speeds up the process. As such, I applied for a 'Work to Residence' visa under the 'Talent' stream (such irony). This basically means that I have a permit to be resident and work in New Zealand for 30 months, have to stay with the same employer and can apply for residence after 24 months. If you haven't got a job lined up you will have to follow another one of the application streams -I'm afraid I don't know what these are but suspect that if you want to apply for residence you will have to go through the points process which is based upon your age, qualifications etc. Not sure if this is the same if you just want a short-term work permit. Either way you will need to show that you can support yourself financially.

There are a number of supporting documents you need for a visa application and I strongly suggest you follow this order of obtaining them:

1. You need a Police certificate to confirm you have not been convicted (if you have been, forget it, they have enough crims here). This can take up to 10 weeks to come through so get it ASAP, i.e. even when the idea of moving to NZ is just in the back of your mind - get the certificate (it should only cost 10 pounds).
2. Book your medical. There is a specified list of doctors that can undertake the medical and these can be very very busy. Unfortunately, the medical has to be less than 3 months old (I think) when you apply for you visa so you need to time it correctly. Cost - 115 pounds
3. Book your x-ray. You need to take this to your medical but there are more places that take xrays than medicals. Cost 50 pounds.
4. Get your visa application in ASAP as it can take up to 3 months to process, though I got mine back in 2 days! Cost 115 pounds. Check, double check and triple check your form before you send it.
5. If you are applying on a Talent visa you need a copy of your employers NZIS accreditation certificate.
6. You need to provide copies of bank statements, qualifications, passport etc.
7. Your passport need to have at least 12 months after your intended leaving date left (I think).

NZIS operate a really annoying and really expensive 24hr info line which is no help whatsoever - call the London NZIS and get the name of a processing officer.

Moving

Shop around for removals agents. Shipping by sea is bloody slow - 3 months on average. shipping by air can take 3-4 weeks but is expensive, very expensive. I used Xcess Baggage Co and moved 90kg of possessions by air and it cost me 700 pounds. Be aware that NZ is paranoid about biosecirity and will scrutinise your possessions and confiscate anything muddy or any food or animal items. Don't risk it - it can be expensive and time consuming to bring in anything remotely dodgy.

The People

I can only speak for the South Island but by and large NZ people are very friendly and reasonably easy going and importantly accepting of foreigners. Here in Christchurch there is a slightly laid-back feeling, though maybe it is more quiet than laid back. It is not a large place by any means and if you are used to say London, it will be a shock. That said people here are big drinkers and there is much the same binge drinking culture as there is in the UK. In fact Christchurch is very British.

Sport

Sport is dominated by rugby, and although every guidebook will say it, Kiwis really are obsessed with it. Not everybody is a triathlete, but generally people are more outdoors orietated.

Food

As long as you are not vegetarian you are fine. Vegetarianism is still very much the exception to the rule. There is a lot of crap food over here but a lot of cracking stuff too, and not always expensive. Which brings me on to...

Cost of living

It is a bit early for me to tell but from what I've seen some things are more expensive, some less, some about the same as the UK. At the supermarket, food isn't that much cheaper, if at all, beer at the supermarket is much cheaper. Sports equipment can be expensive as can electronics. Car insurance is unbelievably cheap - it cost me the equivalent of 150 quid to insure a car over here that would probably cost at least 500 quid to insure in the uk. There are loads of Japanese imported cars here too so you can pick up a half decent motor for peanuts.

Remember of course that on average wages are much lower over here.

Scenery.

One word - stunning. The roads are excellent, well maintained and largely empty. You will have to get off your bike every 5 mins to take in the views. The rail network here is crap so you'll need to drive. Bare in mind that some of the passes across to the west coast of the south island can be snow bound in winter. Best bet is get a 4wd.

Moving to NZ

Hey Mate,
Done it and love it - went back to Uk a couple of years ago but couldn't wait to get back here.
PM me and I'll give you the SP.
Great biking roads.

Pete

I'm torn between NZ and Australia, I did consider Canada but it gets much too cold in Winter. Either way, I can't see life in the UK being much fun in 25 years time when I am drawing my pension, especially if circumstances mean I have to work until 70.

The yob culture, excessive taxation, congestion and a complete lack of immigration control plus some pretty crap weather have got me convinced that life could be better abroad in an english speaking country rather than staying here to live in an ever-changing country which seems nothing like the one I used to know and love.

I intend to visit Australia next year for a holiday and recce, and if it looks good I will start the emigration process on my return. If I move abroad and rent my UK property for 2 years, and then decide to stay abroad I can sell up in the UK and be mortgage free with a big house with a sizeable garden and garage/workshop. If not, I can still have somewhere here to return to.

The next dilemma, do I sell my GS here and buy again abroad, or just ship my GS across ??

The next dilemma, do I sell my GS here and buy again abroad, or just ship my GS across ??

Adam,

- sell and re-buy - thats what i did

theres quite a lot of paperwork otherwise

prices are very similar

Selling bike

Hey if coming to NZ, don't sell your GS, ship it over. The certification is dead easy with it coming from UK, just need to have the brakes certified by an authorised mechanic (one who does a warrant of fitness, which is the same as an MOT). Importing it from UK is easy, just remember to get it registered as being exported by DVLA.
Pete

Frank Warner said:

Thanks Frank, the same feature was broadcast here on the early BBC Sunday morning news features, which I saw. The price of housing in NZ was rocketing following the influx of wealthy outsiders, so much so that the locals on a low wage were very unhappy about it, and about not being able to afford to live in their own back yard themselves. I really pity them rather than the immigrants.

I don't thing Osama B-L is totally to blame for it, more like people need to escape from the stresses of living in Western society with all its worries and pressures and the thought of what the future holds both socially and economically. The same is happening in the UK as wealthy Londoners buy up country retreats in small picturesque UK coastal villages, pricing out the locals. I guess we all want to live somewhere with a nice climate, beautiful scenery and a feeling of peace and security. That rules out the UK then. :D

Pukmeister said:
I guess we all want to live somewhere with a nice climate, beautiful scenery and a feeling of peace and security. That rules out the UK then.

The ideal - A shaded hammock where you reach out to the fruit trees to pick breakfast. The morning is spent in the hammock listen to the waves on the beach some 10 metres away. Then you get up and through a fishing line into the sea, have a swim, cut up a pineapple for lunch and retire to the hammock. In the evening you clean the fish that has been caught - cook and eat it for dinner.

Some South Pacific Islands are like that. NZ is not. NZ has winter.

What happened to Tiger11 then? :eek
9 posts and he`s fecked orf? Either gone to NZ already :D or got scared cos he actually got a response to his post ;)
Hope he`s alright
Tiiiiigeeeeeer, oh where are yoooooo? :thumb

Frank Warner said:
The ideal - A shaded hammock where you reach out to the fruit trees to pick breakfast. The morning is spent in the hammock listen to the waves on the beach some 10 metres away. Then you get up and through a fishing line into the sea, have a swim, cut up a pineapple for lunch and retire to the hammock. In the evening you clean the fish that has been caught - cook and eat it for dinner.

Some South Pacific Islands are like that. NZ is not. NZ has winter.

I reckon Western Samoa is as close as you'll get :thumb

TIGER11 said:
Me and my partner are thinking about moveing to Newzealand to live and work.
Has anyone here done this and if so could you give me any help.
ie, did anyone regret it or was this the best thing they could have done, how hard is it to get work (i`m a joiner), what is the bike (GS) scene like.
Any info would be most welcome.

nick(tiger11)

I spent 3 months in Auckland (from the UK) and didn't rate it. Could well have been me at the time though, in Melbourne most Kiwis are from the South Island or Wellington, Sydney gets Aucklanders and IMHO they deserve each other. If I was you I'd look at Wellington instead of going straight to Auckland, Aucklanders have the attitude that they are Gods gift to the world and the city really doesn't have much soul at all.

Auckland

Over here other New Zealanders call Aucklanders , Jafa's.

Just Another F~~~ing Aucklander. !

Worked up there and hated it, Napier now thats real NZ. Climate to die for.

Pete

robbo said:

Just Another F~~~ing Aucklander. !

Worked up there and hated it, Napier now thats real NZ. Climate to die for.

Pete

To be honest I got a bit of a shock in Auckland, all the kiwis I met before going there were, down to earth, decent blokes. Of course the biggest mistake I made was not going to the South Island

Oops … I’ve just picked up on this thread ‘cos Florence and I have been too busy buying a house up in the far north of NZ (the Bay of Islands).

robbo said:
Well, after being out here for 12 Months, we’ve just escaped from Dorkland before being officially classified as Jafa’s.

General advice?

The Bad stuff first.

It will cost you more than you think.

You will have problems with Immigration paperwork.

You will end up pulling your hair out trying to sort out the simplest of little bits of Officialdom.

The average Kiwi driver has their head stuck even further up their bums than drivers in the UK, and Asian (Oriental in English speak) drivers are positively murderous. :mcgun

Oh, and if you ride a GS enthusiastically you will get done for speeding, and the speeding fines are proportionally higher than the UK (DAMHIK).

The good stuff …

Quality of life, sunshine, wine, open roads, opportunity, relaxation.

… and then there’s always boats and fishing and diving and drinking and living and breathing and … It’s all about quality of life :thumb

Like Motomartin said if you need any more info email me ('cos I haven't sent the BHT my subs YET) at ...

john_on_tour{at}hotmail.com

... just change the curly at for a curly at :D

Have fun ... life's to short not to.

John

GSAdvMelbourne said:
I spent 3 months in Auckland (from the UK) and didn't rate it. Could well have been me at the time though, in Melbourne most Kiwis are from the South Island or Wellington, Sydney gets Aucklanders and IMHO they deserve each other. If I was you I'd look at Wellington instead of going straight to Auckland, Aucklanders have the attitude that they are Gods gift to the world and the city really doesn't have much soul at all.

Get drunk at the Melbourne F1 , then walk to ST Kilder , as long as it's not raining , AAAAAARH 3 years in a row . I can get pisssed on at Silverstone for nothing . :beer: :thumb :beer:

Back
Top Bottom