New member tyre advice required

Yup, OEM A3 are fine in the dry. But that's it. Being a cheapskate I put an A3 on the back after a series of PR4s for a 2K mile trip last summer. It was fine. However, come the autumn on damp, greasy roads here in rural, leafy Surrey, it was really unpleasant. New PR4 on the back and all is fine again.

Anecdotal evidence from people I know is that the Road 5 is also a very good tyre, but just doesn't last as long as the PR4.

And if not pushed should be perfect.........;)
But even when running in the new bike over a 1000 miles the PR5 in the winter shows significant wear , I blame it on my right hand and a lack of fear perhaps , just swapping over to the CR3 to see how they go on my chocolate spoked wheels , ( if I can ever get out of work at the moment )
As a foot note , the TRA2 was and still is a great tyre and will always be a favourite as it ticks all boxes as a good all round tyre , I just need more from my tyres now so that's why I keep trying different makes/styles to get the best tyre for different situations .

But even when running in the new bike over a 1000 miles the PR5 in the winter shows significant wear , I blame it on my right hand and a lack of fear perhaps , just swapping over to the CR3 to see how they go on my chocolate spoked wheels , ( if I can ever get out of work at the moment )
As a foot note , the TRA2 was and still is a great tyre and will always be a favourite as it ticks all boxes as a good all round tyre , I just need more from my tyres now so that's why I keep trying different makes/styles to get the best tyre for different situations .

1600 kms is not a lot to be showing significant wear, you must be playing around again with the toy............:D

Metzler Roadtech01/Pirelli Scorpion/Metzler Tourance and Avon A41's all have had rave reviews by testers in varied conditions. "Panicky 3's" not so popular.

If you can get the size ( you don't say what bike it is you have ) Metzler Roadtec 01 are without doubt the best tyres i have ever used

I'm using these and can't fault them. I had quite a few punctures with PR4s but other than that they were a great tyre too, a couple of mates have the new Michelin Road 5 (PR4 replacement) and they love them.

I recently put a new Roadtec 01 on the rear to replace the worn one. I'd got over 8,000 miles out of it.

I have PR4s at the minute as that's what the bike came with but they're horribly squared off front and back and the handling is predictably awful as a result. Also awful i the wet (again possibly as a result of squaring off). I'll probably replace with the Metzler RT01 heavy duty versions.

I've just switched from PR4's to Avon Trailriders. I've been pretty impressed, they seem to grip well in the wet and cold we've had recently and they make a massive difference riding through the mud hole outside my gate when I get home/go out! I have a 70 mile round trip commute daily so I've got just over 1,000 miles on them in the last few weeks and they seem good.

pays ya money and takes ya choices think we all have different feeling what we like in a tyres long as i stay upright i don't really care :D

Dave:thumby:

Ive had Roadtec 01, now on PR5 and tbh cant tell the difference but might try the trailriders next time.

Back
Top Bottom