U.S.bike on ADV rider

i like this one much better.

with high mile 1100's becoming cheap ( in the UK ) this is becoming an excellent option over aging 80/100 airheads

HP2KO7.jpg

Nice bike Phil, lots spent...............however I'd definitely fit a TT Hardpart to that vulnerable gearbox mount!

motomartin said:

with high mile 1100's becoming cheap ( in the UK ) this is becoming an excellent option over aging 80/100 airheads

HP2KO7.jpg

Awesome looking bike, I have to agree...........

motomartin said:

that's really nasty, in a nice way :)

i like it a lot :thumb

Nice bike Phil,

sorry guys - not mine - just copied the photo from the thread at the start.

bloody good idea though....

written off 11 for 2K ? forks/wheel and subframe complete - 1k max ?

c'mon steptoe - build one from scrap and it'll sell in 10 mins on here

:loveheart

And the other side. I've had to this pic for weeks. Often I just stare for minutes on end.

Attachments

• ww.JPG
    ww.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 594
Does anyone know what is done to the headstock to take a standard yoke setup?

Looks like you bin it and start with a complete new one in steel, I suppose all the forces that used to be soaked up by the telelever are now transmitted through the headstock, the standard ally one probably isn't up the the stresses generated.

Top bloke? and a serious workshop to boot. I've got to admit I like the fact the oilheads are getting cheaper, hopefully, we sould see a lot more custom GSs.

:clap

That's the decision I made with my 'old' 1100 when the 1200s were introduced.
The difference between the trade-in value of my bike and the new price of the 1200 was about 8500euros, (almost £6000). That's a lot of bits.
I'm actually looking foward to winter this year, when I can take the bike off the road for a while and start the mods.
I've just received the price for the one-off ignition unit I'm going to be fitting, to go with the carburettor conversion, today.
That leaves another £5750 to spend! :clap
I agree with Rob,let's hope we see a few more seriously modded bikes :thumb

Le singe said:
That's the decision I made with my 'old' 1100 when the 1200s were introduced.
The difference between the trade-in value of my bike and the new price of the 1200 was about 8500euros, (almost £6000). That's a lot of bits.
I'm actually looking foward to winter this year, when I can take the bike off the road for a while and start the mods.
I've just received the price for the one-off ignition unit I'm going to be fitting, to go with the carburettor conversion, today.
That leaves another £5750 to spend! :clap
I agree with Rob,let's hope we see a few more seriously modded bikes :thumb

Why would you want to move to back to carburettors? I dont know much about mechanics so why the loving for carbs? Is it because its easyier to look after?

This might be interesting.
The higher of each pair of curves is with 40mm Bings,the lowers,standard fuel injection.

Attachments

• dynojet r1100rs.jpg
    dynojet r1100rs.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 543
wibble said:
Why would you want to move to back to carburettors? I dont know much about mechanics so why the loving for carbs? Is it because its easyier to look after?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that fuel injection is added to bikes in order to help pass stringent emission regs. The bikes are never running quite right out of the factory because they're made to run lean in certain areas. Carbs are infinitely more adjustable and can be setup to make the bike run as it was meant to. I think the closest thing to carbs is a fuel injected bike fitted with a power commander, which does its best to undo the deliberately built in inefficiences of the motronic (moronic) fuel injection system. Or am I talking b#ll#cks?

Le singe said:
This might be interesting.
The higher of each pair of curves is with 40mm Bings,the lowers,standard fuel injection.

Thats quite an improvment! how much would a carb conversion cost?

Carbs are easier for the DIY guy to tune, thats all.

Fuel injection offers more power, torque and tuneability.

Problem is - you need the tools and computers to interrogate and adjust.

F1 race cars ? Injection
Most other professional racing ? Injection.

Clubmans ? Carbs.

Its all to do with money.

Stool, you're right about production injection systems.
A decent,aftermarket ignition system which is fully mappable would be at least as good as a carburettor set-up,especially in the mid-range.
Unfortunately,the BMW system is both crude and difficult to fully 're-map',especially after engine/exhaust system modifications.
I'm going to sort out a complete kit for the carburettor conversion later this year after everything has been fully tested on my own bike.
I like the conversion because of it's simplicity, the ignition/carburettor setup is no more complicated than the airhead setup, the improvement in efficiency gives more power and torque,therefore in normal use,more miles to the gallon, plus there is more of an opportunity for the bike to be home maintained.

Le singe said:
Stool, you're right about production injection systems.
A decent,aftermarket ignition system which is fully mappable would be at least as good as a carburettor set-up,especially in the mid-range.
Unfortunately,the BMW system is both crude and difficult to fully 're-map',especially after engine/exhaust system modifications.
I'm going to sort out a complete kit for the carburettor conversion later this year after everything has been fully tested on my own bike.
I like the conversion because of it's simplicity, the ignition/carburettor setup is no more complicated than the airhead setup, the improvement in efficiency gives more power and torque,therefore in normal use,more miles to the gallon, plus there is more of an opportunity for the bike to be home maintained.

Would a Power Commander do the trick. I belive they have just come out with one for the BMW.

Probably, I've never used one but others have given it a good report.

I'll reply to the question a bit more accurately!
The Power Commander was designed to enable the standard fuelling to be adjusted,either on a standard motor,or one which has had a different pipe fitted,for example.
An increase in power should result because the engine will be running more efficiently after the alterations, but I've not yet seen the range and amount of increase given by the carburettor conversion on any re-chipped or fuel-mapped bike.
The other important thing to look at is the smoothness of the curves, this shows that the engine will be far less inclined to fall into a flat-spot when accelerating out of corners.

Back
Top Bottom