The Joys of Winter Riding!

MikeP

UKGSer of 2014 (Dead)
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having got the bug for researching family history, today I decided that I'd go and have a mooch around the spot where one branch of the clan flourished for a couple of centuries.

Now the biggest problem of living in the South West is that almost every round trip means heading into the sun on the way out and again on the way back.

Of course this time of year when the sun is low for most of the day and the roads are a bit iffy, it's one of the joys of winter riding.

I do like the Wessex countryside on a clear bright winter day. IMO it can be compared to just about anywhere.
48908026-M.jpg

Little pubs, in tiny hamlets. According to the 1901 Census some of my relatives lived next-door (I didn't go in just in case there was an unpaid bar bill!)
48908006-M.jpg

On the way back, just before Chicklade, the sun was so low I was riding with one hand as a sun-shade even with a strip over the top of my visor.
Just after this I ran into a Pea-souper at Mere, just what you need when your visor is coated in crap!
48908014-M.jpg

The bike's showing the effects of the road-crap after about 200 of the 280 miles today.
48908033-M.jpg

Oh well, at least I know how I'll be spending tomorrow!

I wish people would keep quiet about the joys of winter riding!

It's great, it's fantastic, it bloody lovely, but if we keep on about it they'll all be doing it! Now tell people how crap it is, how goddam awful, strewth, tell 'em it's bloody misery... and then maybe we'll have the roads to ourselves :)

Enjoy...

NorCalMo said:
:clap :cool: One small correction: I think you meant "can't be compared" right?
Er, what I should have said is that it 'bears comparison' in as much as it's a lovely part of the world! ;)

MikeP said:
The bike's showing the effects of the road-crap after about 200 of the 280 miles today.
48908033-M.jpg

Oh well, at least I know how I'll be spending tomorrow!

I hope that you are going out to do it again.....just think it could be like this:

47017341-M.jpg

Steve,

Thanks for that. As you might be able to see in this old photo, I've had something similar on my bike for a while (years ago I used to use an old tennis ball with the top sliced off).
47343594-M.jpg

Yesterday it was the combination of road crap and low sun. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom