Brief look at Lier Belgium

Gecko

Reaction score
Brief look at Lier Belgium

The sun was shining so I thought I'd take a ride into Lier, the town very close to where I live to give you a quick view of this 14th Century Flemish market town. There would have been a few more pics but the batteries ran out so I may follow this with a few more pics another day.

This is the 'Grote Market' - town center.

Attachments

• lier 4.jpg
    lier 4.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 259
Lier 2

The town hall - dates from 1369

Attachments

• lier 2.jpg
    lier 2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 258
Lier 3

The town hall left and looking away from the Grote Markt.

Attachments

• lier 3.jpg
    lier 3.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 248
Lier 4

The 'Vismarkt' (Fish Market)

Attachments

• lier 1.jpg
    lier 1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 233
Lier 5

The Sint Gummaris church

Attachments

• lier 6.jpg
    lier 6.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 228
Lots of terraces to sit out an watch the bikes :D ....then the camera batteries dies so I stayed on the terrace for another cold drink :beer:

Attachments

• lier 5.jpg
    lier 5.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 214
Hey Gecko,

In your archives of photos do you have piccies of the various Grote Markt's and Grand Places of Brussels, Bruge, Antwerp, Ghent and all the regional major towns of Belgium cos I reckon a game of spot the difference would be fun!! Lovley ornate architecture but I could be in anyone of them I'd imagine I could be in any one of them? (and I've been in Brussels' Grand Place and Bruge's Markt). Still can't knock it for the beer, moules/frites, waffles and erm.. beer.

Fantastic Chicken and beer pub in Bruges :thumb

Hi Judge,
I know what you mean they do have a certain common feel to them but I like em....there is something about sitting out on a terrace , listen to the clock chimes and the foreign language all around. It gives you that sort of 'good to be alive' kind of feeling. The nice thing is that after 8 years here I am still discovering the country. Belgium is a highly underrated country. Most people drive trough it without getting to know it but it has a certain charm....moules & frites aside. As for the other - I never touch the stuff......waffles that is :beer:

And ze windowsh

Habe you seen the sketch from Trigger Happy? One of my favourites is the carriage trip in Bruge and it keeps going around the same square (Bruge's Markt I believe - though could be any of them except Grand Place!!) remarking about the windows, and the windows.. oh and the windows :D

Like 'em too so long as I don't have to ride in on wet cobbles or walk on the bloody things for too long!! :D Looking forward to enjoying a Kwak or two in June :thumb

A few years ago, in my Patch wearing Harley riding days, me and the guys rode to Ghent for a meet with a local club at the Iron Horse saloon (cheesy name I know). Had a great time and spent a couple of hazzey days floating round with the locals...completely changed me opinion of Belgium...and of reality for a while.

:smokeboun

I have never been to Belgium but please do tell - is every town populated with GS1100's so that you can't take a photo without one being in shot????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

woodsie said:
I have never been to Belgium but please do tell - is every town populated with GS1100's so that you can't take a photo without one being in shot????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes :D

Belgium

Gecko,
When I was living there as a boy we visited a 2WW concentration camp called Fort Breendonk - can't remember exactly where it was but do recall vivid images and some harrowing photos .

Steady Eddie

It's good sport to poke fun at the Belgians for their town squares, but let's be honest, they are better and more attractive than the concrete sh*t that we have in the UK...

We have the same problem.. one Arndale Centre looks the same as any other!

No one can say that they want to sit in the sun with a beer in Folkestone town centre or Croydon or Bromley (to name but three) amid the concrete shopping centres that decimated the towns from the 60's onwards.....

Rant over. :shoot:

I must never ever never ridicule Belgian town centres again

:eek:

judge said:

:eek:

I did mean it with a smile on my face....... honest.

Re: So...

Paulf said:
... THAT'S where you went.

Cheers!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :beerjug:

No - this is where I live - here is where I went on Saturday :)
If you have mapsource for a Garmin GPS you can see every turn I took :D

Attachments

• bmw rit and diamant tracks.mps
    29.8 KB · Views: 48

Back
Top Bottom