Clutch drag - rear wheel turning out of gear

JohnC

Reaction score
At tickover the rear wheel spins a fair bit, spinning faster when revved. Does anyone else have this symptom? Is it another 'they all do that'? :D

Don't think I've ever had a bike that didn't do it :)

Hmmm, yes I suppose I've had a few that did it when cold, but I've never noticed it much. I guess it must be the luxury of having a centre stand these days :D

I suppose you partly answered your own question here. :rob Yes you can find this happening on any vehicle with this sort of gearbox arrangement. Jack up the driven wheels on your car and most likely you will see it there provided its not an auto....! When the engine is running, even in neutral, its also turning the input shaft in the gearbox which moves the oil through it too. As the oil is moving it can cause other components to move and that includes the output shaft. If there is no load on the driven wheel, then the movement that is put into the box can find its way out to the back tyre. Its not actually driving it with any sort of power, and you should find that it requires very little pressure applied in order for it to stop turning. :thumb :D

JohnC said:
At tickover the rear wheel spins a fair bit, spinning faster when revved. Does anyone else have this symptom? Is it another 'they all do that'? :D

Not only do GS's do that but so do all other bikes which dont have slightly binding rear brakes or worn clutches. You may not have noticed before because centre stands arent that common.

You've been reading too much of the moans on this forum and are in danger of "GS hypochondria" like a lot of us. Reapeat after me - "It is a well engineerd and reliable bike "

Next time you pass a building site have a look at a JCB type thingy. If there is one using a bucket to dig a trench and it is supported by its "legs" so the wheels are of the ground they will probably be turning slowly.
Its the same thing, drift in the oil.

birdseye said:
Not only do GS's do that but so do all other bikes which dont have slightly binding rear brakes or worn clutches. You may not have noticed before because centre stands arent that common.

You've been reading too much of the moans on this forum and are in danger of "GS hypochondria" like a lot of us. Reapeat after me - "It is a well engineerd and reliable bike "

Exactly. lol :D And I think my smiley, kind of gave it away in the first post, eh? ;) :thumb

Back
Top Bottom