Electrical problem

Thunder

Reaction score
Have this over on F650 forum but thought I'd check with the Tossers as well.

one of the 7.5amp fuses on the new addition is blowing, it's the one that feeds the insrument lights and consule, indicators, rear brake light and OE plug.

As the indicators and brake light are not fed full time and the fuse blows when the ignition is turned on I've eliminated them, the instruments have been disconnected so the panel is OK, currently looks like a case of checking the loom and finding a short.

I've noticed that an OE plug is also listed on the feeds from the 10amp fuse (it's an 05 twin spark with 8 fuses) and am wondering how many OE plugs it has.

Any idea what the OE plug is or where it is located?

OE is Original Equipment, so loog for a standard BMW 12V socket

When I have an electrical problem I usually stick 50p in the meter and everything works again:clap
Just have to go round setting clocks for half an hour though:(
Hope this helps:thumb

Yeah sounds logical just have to find the bollox. :nenau

You're not far off there. As you sit on the bike the loom socket for the aux. plug and heated grips is just in front of them, to the right. You'll have to take the panel off to see it though.

Thunder

I've just had to have the main wiring loom replaced on my 2 and half year old Dakar after it expired with a large flash and sparks. (This is the second BMW I've had that has had the wiring loom replaced, the first was a R1100R which shorted out spectacularly.)

The loom had been rubbing against the hydraulic pre-load adjuster, on removal of the loom it was posible to see a few other places where the loom was rubbing against the frame.

A new loom is £400 + vat + fitting.

I am grateful to CW Motorcycles who replaced the loom at about half the cost after taking the case up with BMW, but looms chafing is something that should not happen.

Take a look where ever the wiring loom runs close to the frame/metal work.

It's sorted :thumb

Found some corrosion in the 12v accessory socket and a spot on the loom which has been rubbing against the frame, stripped back the insulation and re-insulated, so far so good.

Took the opportunity to check the loom and found a few points which seemed to be under "stress" so sorted those as well as a preventitive measure.

Thanks fo the help. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom