Newcastle Norway ferry

SIM

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anybody know of any news yet, last I heard was due to recommence in 2013 once all funding in place.

Cheers for any info.

Anybody know of any news yet, last I heard was due to recommence in 2013 once all funding in place.

Cheers for any info.

I hope you're right. Norway is definitely on my 'to do' list on the RT.

I'd be buying a season ticket if the Newcastle-Stavanger ferry was to resume!:thumb

Don't hold your breathe though we've heard this all before!:blast

FP.

I sailed from Bergen to Newcastle in 1990...

When that sea is rough, my God it's rough :eek:

You're not wrong.
When you see the crew barfing you know its a tad choppy.

Can't be any worse than that 'vomit comet' the Hjaltland from Aberdeen to Shetland..............I knew it was bad when the food in the kitchens ended up on the floor and the chef started swearing!

The boat after mine couldn't get back into Aberdeen so it hung aboot in the North Sea for a day before heading down to Rosyth.........Apparently free breakfasts were offered but few were accepted.

Never been seasick myself but it was a close call on that one............Even worse than the Heimaey Icelandic ferry and it's a pig!

The DFDS boats are nice and big and comfortable:thumb

Fingers crossed:thumb

Can't be any worse than that 'vomit comet' the Hjaltland from Aberdeen to Shetland..............I knew it was bad when the food in the kitchens ended up on the floor and the chef started swearing!

The boat after mine couldn't get back into Aberdeen so it hung aboot in the North Sea for a day before heading down to Rosyth.........Apparently free breakfasts were offered but few were accepted.

Never been seasick myself but it was a close call on that one............Even worse than the Heimaey Icelandic ferry and it's a pig!

The DFDS boats are nice and big and comfortable:thumb

Fingers crossed:thumb
+1 been on that vomiting venus:barf entierly more suited for a wee cruise ship than that open stretch

More like this one, although this is from Scrabster to Orkney but you get the idea!:barf

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vhsBfNxWILg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here's a wee one of my friends at Hiemey, Iceland just to remind those travelling on ferries this year what 'choppy' really means!:D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mPBaqh3dcVM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I sent an email to Port of Tyne this summer. I've pasted the reply below which is dated July. I've not had any update or seen any further news since then.

Hi Dave, thank you for your email.

Port of Tyne is indeed working hard with various organisations to try to re-establish the ferry route to Norway. Progress is being made and we are hopeful a service could be deployed at some point next year although there is a way to go before that is a definite and any number of factors could prevent that actually happening. If you are interested from a passenger perspective then this email exchange has registered your interest. If from a business or freight perspective, if you could perhaps share a few more details of the nature of your interest, I will pass on your details to the study group to assist with their analysis of the potential of the service.

Thanks again,

Andy Foulds

Commercial Director, Port Services

Port of Tyne

Maritime House

Tyne Dock

South Shields

Tyne & Wear NE34 9PT

Tel: 0191 440 2671

Email: andy.foulds@portoftyne.co.uk

Fingers crossed for 2013 then - rumours of this year faded in the summer :-(

More like this one, although this is from Scrabster to Orkney but you get the idea!:barf

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vhsBfNxWILg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty sure that's Thurso boating pond - the Pentland Firth's a bit choppier :)

I sent an email to Port of Tyne this summer. I've pasted the reply below which is dated July. I've not had any update or seen any further news since then.

Hi Dave, thank you for your email.
Port of Tyne is indeed working hard with various organisations to try to re-establish the ferry route to Norway. Progress is being made and we are hopeful a service could be deployed at some point next year although there is a way to go before that is a definite and any number of factors could prevent that actually happening. If you are interested from a passenger perspective then this email exchange has registered your interest. If from a business or freight perspective, if you could perhaps share a few more details of the nature of your interest, I will pass on your details to the study group to assist with their analysis of the potential of the service.
Thanks again,
Andy Foulds
Commercial Director, Port Services

He's saying the thick-end of fcuk-all there.............. Standard response from someone who is charged with bringing in more business.

Al :)

And here's a wee one of my friends at Hiemey, Iceland just to remind those travelling on ferries this year what 'choppy' really means!:D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mPBaqh3dcVM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I understand the Denmark/Iceland ferry doesn't run in the winter because the weather conditions and sea state are so bad. Not so much as lack of demand. Very little shelter in the North Sea in dirty weather.

Grey Beard

I lived in Sweden for 7 or so years and used the Dfds seaways regulary. It was the Princess of Scandinavia. The ferry stopped in Norway and went on to Gothenberg. I still visit Sweden a bit and the route through Holland/ Denmark is a long haul! I for one would warmly welcome this route being put back into service...

I really hope it gets sorted with funding, Norway is pretty much first on my list, it looks absolutely stunning!

Is the problem that the sea is so rough nobody wants to take it on as a route or is it lack of demand, or some other problem to do with the ports? I heard the ferry was quite expensive but would be well worth it.

I really hope it gets sorted with funding, Norway is pretty much first on my list, it looks absolutely stunning!

Is the problem that the sea is so rough nobody wants to take it on as a route or is it lack of demand, or some other problem to do with the ports? I heard the ferry was quite expensive but would be well worth it.

Like a mill pond when I went 10 or so years ago. Keep telling the missus how beautiful it is, thats why I want to get back there with the family.

Back
Top Bottom