Tyre choices - what are my options?

snappo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've had Bridgestones on it, and am currently running Tourance Next, but I'm due a new pair, and just wondered what my other options were, without wading through pages and pages of threads!

The OEM Bridgestones weren't horrible, but could be a little squirrelly in the wet, and the Tourance seem to be very prone to tracking - i.e. following ruts and imperfections in the road, so neither make is perfect.

Anyone else using different rubber?

I'm purely a tarmac rider, the closest my bike gets to off road is up a very occasional paintball centre driveway!

I'm on Next and find them fine running the Tourance recommended pressures.

BMW recommend Anakee 3 on the 700, so why not try those. they seam to get good reviews all round.

I've got a pair of anakee 3's done about 1000 mile I'd like to sell, great tyre I've just gone for more of a trail tyre

Conti Trail Attack 2...
Excellent grip in the wet and dry and good mileage, use the bike all year round just about ready for a new front after 11,000 miles.

Anakee 3 - 10k on my set. Just changed for 2nd set. Great grip and good in the wet. Really work good on the F800GS.

Tyres

Avon distanzia is my choice
I have had conti trail attack they were ok just not for me
Gone back to Avon

Bought a GSA with them on in2006 seemed to work for me
Then changed bikes which came with contis
Changed again new bike came with tourance front tyre didn't wear properly
Back to avon
Bike tyres leeds brilliant people ride down they will fit your tyres while you wait good prices

The best tyres I've ever had on the bike are MT60's but they don't last long (I got 9.000km out of a set), or if you want slightly less traction, but long life - then something like Mitas E-07. I'm currently at 16.000km and in need of a new front tyre, the rear still have 40-50% left.

I must confess to being delighted with my Tourance Next tyres. No seeming or tracking and confidence inspiring in the wet. I did email Metzeler ref tyre pressures for my weight and style of riding, Pirelli (owners of Metzeler) emailed me back with their recommendations which I am using.

Conti Trail Attack 2...
Excellent grip in the wet and dry and good mileage, use the bike all year round just about ready for a new front after 11,000 miles.

I agree with thomo. The Bridgestones were ok (just), they gave grip, but not much confidence. Pirelli Scorpion Trail gave loads of grip, but didn't last too long, and they were susceptible to ridges/white lines. Conti Trail attacks, can't fault them. Loads of grip, wet or dry, and seem to last ok.

Conti trail attacks for me :thumb2 only down side rear lasted longer than the front which I can't work out why ? 8,000 miles to the front and 9,000 miles for the back not too bad with spirited riding ...... Had a couple of sets on my previous 650 single and were good on that too so def :thumb2

Anakee 3 - by far the best . They make the bike feel stable and easy to turn all at the same time. I really don't know how they did it . As Others have said they really suit the GS.
My new F800GS came with Pirelli Scorpion and I can't wait to change them for Michelin Anakee 3's.

Conti trail attack for me too. On my second set now, got over 10k from last pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your after road biased tyre have a look at the Michelin PR4 Trail. I have the PR4 on a not GS and they are pretty impressive in wet and dry. When I get round to ordering my GSA I will certainly look at replacing the Annakees with the PR4's when Annakees need replacing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you want? On road/off road
I run Anakee 2. They are great for on road, they are also a choice for some stunt bike riders I have noticed.
I have had the stock Bridgestones, good on road, bad on anything other than tarmac.
Had some Heid k60's (before the Scout). They are ok on road, much better than the anakee 2 off road.

Most of the tyres mentions above are road tyres only, look at the bike you are riding kids.

UPDATE well, I put Conti Trail Attack 2's on, and after a long day blasting up to the Highlands yesterday, then a loop today down to Spean Bridge from Kintail, carrying on to Fort William, round to Mallaig and hopping the ferry over to Armadale, then back across Skye to home in Kintail again, they're bloody brilliant so far!

I've been, ahem, rather spirited in my progress, the roads were dry and the sun was out, it wasn't really my fault Occifer, I swear, and the tyres were perfect, loads of grip, lots of confidence and feel, I don't think I've enjoyed a days riding so much in ages!

Recommended to anyone who gives a flying fook!

:thumby::thumby:

I have used Heid k60's for years (tried others but always come back to them), great all year round tyre - unless you want to use two sets of tyres. I have also tried tourance a couple of times and i find them lethal in damp conditions.

I like the Heid K60 as well but if you're purely sticking to tar you will find them noisy. For road use only my choice without any doubt: Pirelli Skorpions
...and YES, stay away from Tourance, they are indeed lethal in the wet.

I've had Bridgestones on it, and am currently running Tourance Next, but I'm due a new pair, and just wondered what my other options were, without wading through pages and pages of threads!

The OEM Bridgestones weren't horrible, but could be a little squirrelly in the wet, and the Tourance seem to be very prone to tracking - i.e. following ruts and imperfections in the road, so neither make is perfect.

Anyone else using different rubber?

I'm purely a tarmac rider, the closest my bike gets to off road is up a very occasional paintball centre driveway!

On Tarmac...............

Had the bridgestones (tombstone death wings) from new on my F650, I agree twitchy as hell in the wet. glad to swap first into the old tourance.. wet and dry oodles of confidence. never really had a tracking problem with them either :nenau

had the K60's with the continual middle strip, strange noisy at first but then adapted and just rid the dam thing. (under 30 brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) went back to tourance after that (the old type) great in wet and dry. :thumby:

Now I have an F8, came with anikee 2's look a bit like the old tourance, even has a wet and dry cloud picture on the side wall :D rides good can i compare it better or worse to the old tourance? Ermmm No. :D

BMW recommend Anakee 3 on the 700, so why not try those. they seam to get good reviews all round.

I have those and I really like them. They've lasted 14k so far (will be replacing soon - with the same) and they grip really well. Awful off tarmac though.

Back
Top Bottom