Bent brake pedal - any guides or instruction for removal/replacement

Allrover

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone previously posted any tips or guides on replacing a rear brake pedal on an F800GS or F800GSA? I searched the forum but can't find anything.

I bent my pedal off road at the weekend, and although I can just about operate it still, I need to get it off the bike and try to bend it back, or replace it if that can't be done.

Is it pretty easy and something I can do myself (I'm reasonably handy) or is it for some strange reason really difficult and I need to be going to my neighbourhood garage with my wallet open.:eek:

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Chris

Try to bend it back without removing it. That way you can see where the pedal needs to go. Normally a largish set of stilsons will do the job.

I bent mine when I dropped it a couple of years back. It may not be the accepted method, but I just bent mine back at the roadside, (gently but firmly, Matron) until it was in the right place - never had any issues with it since!

:thumby:

Try to bend it back without removing it. That way you can see where the pedal needs to go. Normally a largish set of stilsons will do the job.

If at all possible, warming the metal first will help.

Keep direct heat away from anything that might have a bearing or grease or even a nylon bush in it, but a gentle waft of a blowtorch across the metal will make it easier to bend and much less likely to snap or have any strain cracks start.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Now its interesting but the brake pedal on the GS adventure is a slightly different design to the one pictured in Steve K's post. I knew it had that fancy flip down extra grip to make it easier to use when standing up off road, but it appears they have also change the design of the arm itself. When I looked closely at mine last night, the arm has bent 90 degrees about an inch from the pedal itself, where there is a hole about 8-10mm drilled through the arm itself. I presume this is to create a weakspot so that it fails there, rather than transmitting the force up the arm and into something more fundamental. I'm scared that if I try to bend it back at this point, the arm will snap.

I use the bike to commute every day so its catch twenty two. Try to bend it but if it snaps I'll have no bike until I can order a proper replacement. Or order a replacement in advance, but then if it bends back ok I'll have wasted my money. hmmmm.

With the arm being different to the standard 800GS, I havent even got the option of getting a second hand one from a breaker, as there are non around.

Could be looking at an official replacement via BMW here. :-(

I'm going to think it over a bit more, I managed to ride it to work ok without using my back brake today.

great post by the way Steve K, at least if I do come to replace it I can see how to do it. Is there an online resource somewhere that has this kind of stuff, or do you just have insider knowledge!?

Yep 2nd one works well does all models including the adventure 800 and WCs would not pay that much for a copy though:aidan

as soon as I find a more reasonable price I'll order a copy but as you say it's a bit high at present :)

Ok, I got the pedal bent back successfully. I tried to do it myself but couldn't get enough weight on it so took it up to my Dads house and used his bench vice to grip it whilst we heated it up and then using a combination of a crow bar, hammer and mole grips we eventually got it back to the right shape. Well worth the effort as a replacement part of BMW was £100, and there were none available from breakers or eBay as it's such a new model. Thanks for your help all.

Back
Top Bottom