1200GS vs Triumph Tiger 1050

GSmonkey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Following my reviews of the 1200GS vs 1200GSA (and RT) , 1200GS vs KTM 990 Adv , and 1200GS vs Buell Ulysses I have now had a test ride of the Triumph Tiger 1050. Again below are my views of the bike against the 1200GS.

Looks

I was really not that keen on the looks of the Tiger. Although the engine looked well finished I just thought that the bike didn’t look anything special. Sitting on the machine it looked very much like the Fazer I once owned, which is not a good thing. The handlebars and clamps looked cheap. The switchgear looked and felt OK. I did not however like the look of the instruments which I think had quite a budget feel about it.

The speedo was a bit daft being a little LCD display below the rev counter. The clock had the same size digits as the speedo.

Weather Protection

The fairing seemed to do a fair amount to protect your legs. The screen is also OK, but nothing great. There was some turbulent flow around my head. Again there is a touring screen option which may make things slightly better. The weather protection of the GS is certainly superior.

There were no hot grips on the bike and the grips are quite an expensive extra on the Tiger. I also noticed the lack of hand guards, which were not available as an aftermarket option. You could feel the air pressure on your hands at speed, which would probably not help with keeping your hands dry in the wet.

Riding

The riding position of the bike is quite relaxed, the bars quite high, the pegs quite low and the standard seat being quite comfortable. Although the bike is relatively high, it feels the lowest of the adventure bikes I’ve tested. The standard seat was quite scalloped which probably achieved this feeling.

The suspension is definitely more aligned to a sportsbike than an adventure bike. The travel of the suspension didn’t match that of an adventure bike either. Ride over pot holes and bumps and you know about it. Forget the magic carpet ride that you get on the GS.

Cornering is adequate although it didn’t feel as planted as the GS. Powering out of corners I felt the bike squirm which was strange as it was on good road tyres (Michelin Pilot Roads).

The brakes were equipped with ABS. I felt the rear ABS kick in at one point when really is shouldn’t, but there was no real drama. The brakes were a strong point, easily on par with the GS, although you get a degree of fork dive on heavy braking. The rear brake was very effective for round town work.

Performance

The 1050 triple is a nice engine. It has a mixture of v-twin grunt and IL4 top end. The mixture gives a strong mid range and a decent topend, making the engine very flexible. It does however remind me very much of a Japanese IL4, the only thing really giving it away being the exhaust note and slightly lower red line. The formula will probably please some people, but I’m really after an engine with some character and I found that lacking in this particular mill.

The throttle response was immediate, but the bike did exhibit some minor snatch from a closed throttle. I don’t think this was on a par with the earlier problems Triumph had with their fuel injection.

Comfort

As above, the bars were high and pegs low which did give quite a comfortable ride. The suspension did however lack the magic carpet ride I expect with an adventure machine. The seat was good giving no problem on my 1.5hrs in the saddle. You could certainly do big miles on this machine – you just wouldn’t get much excitement in the process.

Other Things

Service intervals were on a par with the BMW at 6,000 miles for a minor and 12,000 for a major service which includes valves. Dealer quoted £150 for a minor and £400 for a major service.

Of all the bikes I’ve tested this is the first one I took back to the dealers knowing I would not buy it no matter the deal on the table. It felt like a bog standard 1000cc jap commuter bike should e.g. Fazer 1000, etc. – not really what I want from an adventure bike. Overall not a patch on the GS if you really are after what should be a big traille.

Price

The base bike was £8100 with ABS. The luggage (3 boxes) came in at over £950 because despite the headline price of £699 for the luggage, this excludes the racks and coloured infill panels which take the price up to nearly a grand. Other prices for heated grips and alarms are then on a par with BMW. To add insult to injury you’ve got to pay big money for a centre stand which is not included in the standard spec.

You would therefore be looking at nearly £10k for a fully specced up machine. The dealer said there would be some ‘movement’ in the price should I wish to come in and negotiate further.

i thought it was pretty well known that the latest Tiger is not an "adventure bike" :confused:

I would agree almost totally with this. I came from a Hinckley Bonneville T100 and was determined to love the Tiger, but it just seemed like a tall sports bike to me - perhaps a more fun ride than you thought.

I test rode the 1050, then the 1200GS twice (second time with low seat) and eventually went back to test ride the 1050 again, but I stood beside it and found it so uninspiring after the GS that I didn't bother.

I test rode a Tiger 1050 and though the engine is brilliant the rest of the bike is just fine.

If it was a footie match it would be Germany 3 Engerland 1.

It's great to read these comparisons. :thumb2

Obviously you make a living out of testing riding bikes? :rolleyes::D

It's great to read these comparisons. :thumb2

Obviously you make a living out of testing riding bikes? :rolleyes::D
:DMuch as I wish that were true, the real reason is a tad more boring. I've got quite a bit of leave left at work that I've got to use up before the end of the year so I'm having a few days off and using them to test bikes for my up and coming purchase.

...... but I stood beside it and found it so uninspiring after the GS that I didn't bother.
I can fully understand how you got to that conclusion. Its just one of those bikes that doesn't really catch your imagination.

...... it just seemed like a tall sports bike to me - perhaps a more fun ride than you thought.
Well yes, it was just like a tall sportsbike. I did however have 20x more fun on my 1000cc Gixxer than the Tiger, which had both a better engine and better suspension for the road.

i thought it was pretty well known that the latest Tiger is not an "adventure bike" :confused:
I was aware they'd moved away from the adventure concept, but I still thought it was worthy of a test.

I was aware they'd moved away from the adventure concept, but I still thought it was worthy of a test.

i would too, and it was a good test like your others, but i think the adventure bike comparisons were pointless in this case.

Possibly, but its an adventure bike I'm after and the 12GS is my benchmark - hence the basis of the post.

Triumph don't even mention 'Enduro' or 'Offroad' in the literature. The tag line for the bike is "It commutes. It tours. It scratches.".

My reason to test the bike was that I hoped the engine would have more character and torque and the suspension would be a bit more compliant, much like the Buell. But it didn't.

I suppose it is still a legitimate competitor for those who want a bit more power than the GS and don't want any offroad ability. There are people who go from the GS to sportsbikes after all:blast

Possibly, but its an adventure bike I'm after and the 12GS is my benchmark - hence the basis of the post.

Triumph don't even mention 'Enduro' or 'Offroad' in the literature. The tag line for the bike is "It commutes. It tours. It scratches.".

Like said previously, the new Tiger is a pure road bike, ala the old Fazer Thou type bracket. Why you would expect hand guards etc. on it I don't know. The Tiger is perhaps better compared to the CBF1000 and such rather than the GS / KTM / Caponord bracket.

I don't expect handguards, I require decent weather protection from the bike I choose and the Tiger was lacking in that regard. Having now ridden the bike, I agree it is in a different catagory - but still something I wanted to confirm by test ride. After all, if I'd have relied on initial impressions of a machine, I'd never have swung my leg over a GS.

Enjoyed your report as with the others. :thumb2
Tho I did not see any real comparisons between KTM 950 & 990s.
Friends riding them here, won't touch the 990 - they say the EFI is all over the shop - maybe this has been sorted?

Looking forward to the Multistrada & Hypermotard tests!:aidan

KTM

Rhodie: Although I've got a bit of spare time on my hands, I haven't got enough to test every version of every bike in the Adventure bracket :D (wish I had).

As far as the 950 vs 990 debate is concerned you could find more about it on Orange Crush in Advrider if you're interested. My abridged version (from research) would be that you can now sort the 990 fuelling, especially if you're going the Akrapovic route with the latest Akra KTM engine map. An eccentric throttle cam can also be used (£70) if all other things fail. The 990 gives a stronger mid-range and topend than the 950 - apparently a noticeable improvement. The 990 is lower than the 950. These are the reasons I would choose a 990 over the 950, but only the latest 990 that can receive the latest maps (no backwards compatibility with '06 model :blast)

Hypermotard is not on my list due to peanut tank and the looks of the Multistrada are enough to stop me ever owning one, so I'm not bothering to test one.

So I suppose the Guzzi Stelvio won't feature either! :nenau

Thanks for useful & informative research - especially helpful coming from a
fellow GS pilot.

Am tempted by the Hypemotard - only Ducati are promising delivery in time for next year's rainy season. Doh!!

If the Stelvio was available I'd be test riding it now, but I'm not waiting for it come out. Also bitter experience has taught me NEVER to buy the first model of a new bike. I'll keep quiet about how I gained that experience :blast

I had a go on my uncles new Tiger last week. I thought it was excellent. Really stonking motor, very comfortable ( as in genuine all day comfort ), very good brakes - I had so much fun on it I didn't think to notice cheap clocks, dodgy build quality or anything like that - so couldn't comment on that side of things. I could not describe the motor as being lacking in character - it's awesome. I did find the snatchy low-rpm FI annoying though, and the suspension potentially a bit soft.

I don't think the Tiger even pretends to be an 'adventure' bike (whereas the 12GS does. Pretend, that is :augie:D ) - I just remember thinking that it was a really very good 'real world' street bike.

Pluck

Edit - As an aside - I personally think Triumph have been a bit too clever for their own good with this Tiger. They recognise that vast majority of 'adventurers' never actually go off-road, and so built a great machine that is all the bike that most 12GS ( for instance ) riders would ever need, but with only a nod to the adventure side of things. Problem is that most of these people buy the GS because they LOOK like adventure bikes, even if they've no intention of actually going anywhere on them. The Tiger ( I thought ) is a great bike, but it just doesn't look 'adventure' enough - I wonder if Triumph shot themselves in the foot a little bit - certainly I haven't seen as many of the biking magazines' favourite bike on the road as I would have thought. I wonder which exact sector of the market would jump off what ever they happen to be riding and go and buy a Tiger instead? Apart from my uncle of course - who loves his!

Back
Top Bottom