1100 and 1150 drive shaft service life ?

Emm

Member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
Apr 23, 2021
Messages
50
Reaction score
53
Location
Ireland
Based on John’s recent thread on “ new to me 1100gs “ what’s the general opinion on the service life of the drive shaft unit ?
I’m on 105 thousand miles and the drive shaft on the 1100gs seems good, no unusual sounds or major movement in the UJ joints or vibrations on the foot pegs etc.
I know it’s like asking the length of a piece of string as I’ve seen people say they are on original shafts at over 200K and then you see John’s new bike lose its bonding at a very low mileage, years without use probably didn’t help there.

Should I be looking for a spare / replacement at 100K ?
 
I had the drive shaft and everything associated with it fully rebuilt on my 02 1150GS at around 32,000 miles. :D Dunno if it needed it ( you’d need to ask Mikeyboy who did the job ) but I had it done for peace of mind. If in doubt, get it done. :thumb2
 
  • Like
Reactions: Emm
Yep, I was thinking the same, as they say use it or lose it !
I’d generally much rather get a high millage bike that’s well looked after by a knowledgeable owner.
My 1150’s did 70-90k with no driveshaft issues
 
Think you've answered your own Q...

"I’m on 105 thousand miles and the drive shaft on the 1100gs seems good, no unusual sounds or major movement in the UJ joints or vibrations on the foot pegs etc."
"Peace of mind" usually means starting at the front and working backwards trying to make a new bike...👌
 
A mate of mine's failed at about 115k on a 1150 Adventure.
Awaiting sorting now...
 

Attachments

  • WhatsApp Image 2026-07-01 at 8.54.47 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2026-07-01 at 8.54.47 AM.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 15
Think you've answered your own Q...

"I’m on 105 thousand miles and the drive shaft on the 1100gs seems good, no unusual sounds or major movement in the UJ joints or vibrations on the foot pegs etc."
"Peace of mind" usually means starting at the front and working backwards trying to make a new bike...👌
I prefer the “ if it’s not broke don’t fix” 🤣
But no harm in looking for a low millage replacement to keep on hand 👍
 
A mate of mine's failed at about 115k on a 1150 Adventure.
Awaiting sorting now...
That’s the sort of damage that could have easily damaged the housing as well. Hope everything was ok 👍
 
My 1100 was on 126k miles when I sold the bike and it's still going strong today.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Emm
A mate of mine's failed at about 115k on a 1150 Adventure.
Awaiting sorting now...
I have a 1150gs driveshaft on the shelf in my garage if your mate needs one , 20 spline I think. £150 . +P&P. It might be to short for an adventure. though.
 
I have a 1150gs driveshaft on the shelf in my garage if your mate needs one , 20 spline I think. £150 . +P&P. It might be to short for an adventure. though.
very kind, but I've sourced one (I think the correct one!)
The owner gifted me the bike, and it's waiting the car fixing, garage electric, hall redecorate etc etc
 


Back
Top Bottom