2008 bmw r1200gsa advice needed please !!!

Deleted account 220427001

Reaction score
A friend of mine stupidly:blast put a punch !!!through the crankcase:blast next to the oil filter , he was trying to remove the oil filter .Any way whats the best way getting the engine out can you do it using the centre stand remove all bolts from the gearbox end and pull the engine out drop it on a donkey jack , just trying to get info for him . cheers aka sheene p.s can it be tig welded with the bike on its side ???

The engine doesn't drop out.

Everything is attached to the engine = you remove all the parts attached to the engine.

He's not the first to puncture a hole in the case while attempting to remove the oil filter.
I've warned about it plenty of times when people have recommended punching a screwdriver through a stuck oil filter to remove it.

Try a search and see how others have solved the problem.

I now off some one who did the same as yours friend, he managed to get it welded while the engine was still in place, then he flushed it out and he then kept it for quite while with no problems , good luck with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as there is enough access it can be tig welded. best to flush the crankcase out with something that is not combustible.
The problem with welding crankcases in situ is that any oil or flushing fluid is drawn by the heat so the weld may have to be ground out a few times.
Always a pain but easier than removing and refitting the engine.

I was a bit heavy handed laying on my back trying to undo my filter that was a bit tight, my fluted tool spun off the filter and deformed the flutes. I couldn't get it to grip after that so bought one of these, the harder you pull it the tighter it grips. It removed it easily. Lesson learnt.
Well 2 lessons actually. Don't over tighten your filter and be less clumsy undoing the bugger.
.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223261734640

Back
Top Bottom