2012 Royal British Legion Iron Butt 1000 - Are you tough enough? June 22-24.

Hehe... maybe I'll actually get to finish this this year.:D Two years back my Biking Buddy Linda decided she'd like to do it. I rode with her as far as Abbington (North Clock-wise), but had to turn round as I was at work that night. Linda teamed up with another guy we met there, and finished it in good time, Honda CBF1000.

Last year, I had a choice of 1100GS or the FJ1200 I'd used the year before. As the Beemer was running a bit rough when low on fuel, I chose the Yam. It decided to blow a hole in the collector box just north of Lockerbie. Had to retire at Hamilton. Linda finished it, but just out of time as she deemed refueling more important than trying to finish on time...

This year, having snapped the crap exhaust it was fitted with in half, the Beemer now has a standard item. It's running much better, but it's going to visit RGM between now an the event. Linda is on her CBF again, unless she buys a Crossrunner after today's test ride.

Maybe I'll get to finish it this year.

See you guys there, Red R1100GS. Or it might be black by then. :D

thats it i have done it

that's me registered for this lunacy tried it in 2010 but the ring antenna let me down just south of wick so didn't do it in the 24, however did manage 1700miles ish in 48 hours.
(carry a spare ring antenna now)
doing the North Clockwise with a twist I will be keeping off motorways as much as possible :bounce1 and I think I might take the scenic route down from Inverness rather than the A9.

OK, I'm Stoopid and fancy a ride...swmbo says no..so it'll have to be the Iron Butt! Since I haven't seen as much of the UK as I should have, I would like to sign up but not as a single...I'll get lost. Can I join this troupe from London? When I sign up what route do I opt for (providing I can still join your groupie?) and are there any accommodation / arrangement I need to make?

OK, I'm Stoopid and fancy a ride...swmbo says no..so it'll have to be the Iron Butt! Since I haven't seen as much of the UK as I should have, I would like to sign up but not as a single...I'll get lost. Can I join this troupe from London? When I sign up what route do I opt for (providing I can still join your groupie?) and are there any accommodation / arrangement I need to make?

We're never short on Stoopid :D

We are staying at http://www.churchhillguesthouse.co.uk/ - not sure if they have any rooms left but give them a call. Otherwise I am sure there are some alternatives in the area.

As for pairing up you are welcome to join in. I'll be finalising the pairings first week of June (in case anyone has come to their senses and dropped out). When you sign up to the RBLR site PM me your contact details and we will get something sorted. No man left behind or alone. :thumb

This is what I have so far - Please let me know if any changes. Those who are looking for a riding partner please PM me.

Group 1
Northlondoncookie (Group Accommodation) (Northern route clockwise)
HP2 Tony (Group Accommodation) (Northern route clockwise)
Keith Bouncer (Private accommodation) (Northern route clockwise)

Group 2
Johnboy (Group accommodation) (North clockwise)
G.S.John (Group accommodation) (North clockwise)

mumpa
trickday
Brian O (Private Accommodation) (Pairing with mate)
Les049
David 1200GS
Country Bumpkin
Dogwood
Lywood (Travelodge) (North anti-clockwise)
Kez097 (North anti-clockwise)
Sieve68 (North clockwise)
Dragonmaster
Adventuredon

Booked....

riding Northern Clockwise. Only taking my Top Box for sweeties. will be riding up Friday afternoon after 16:00. anything else I should plan for?

riding Northern Clockwise. Only taking my Top Box for sweeties. will be riding up Friday afternoon after 16:00. anything else I should plan for?

You might need to alter that plan slightly you need to carry plenty of drinks,snacks plus the paperwork will all that fit in your topbox?
I am riding up from Dartford on Friday might see you on the way?

yeah , be great to do so. Also have to sort Nav on a android phone out. Looking at co pilot. BMW top box..should manage. what else to pack apart from food etc? must start reading the wisdom faq's

I'm interested, and am an RBL member. Just going to check for a leave pass as I will have only got back from Germany the week before.

yeah , be great to do so. Also have to sort Nav on a android phone out. Looking at co pilot. BMW top box..should manage. what else to pack apart from food etc? must start reading the wisdom faq's

Off topic, give Sygic a try on android, I have that and conditions pilot and much prefer Sygic, it's a lot cheaper and has great decent route planning and it's possible to upload routes.

You can use it on a 7 day trial as well as the application is free.

Ok guys not too long now :clap.

I'm starting to put a list together of who is still attending. If you have still lost all sense of reason and are still planning to attend can you send PM me your email, mobile, planned route and which part of the country you reside in. I'll distribute the list closer to the date. If you would like to ride with someone please also indicate if you have already not done so and I'll do my best to pair you up. Our group accommodation is booked so if you are not planning to camp best to sort something out on your own.

The detailed instructions for the day have been now posted. There is a rally briefing at 8pm on the 22nd of June that they ask all participants to attend. Seeing as it will be an early night I propose that we meet at Squires from 630 onwards.

Those in the London area perhaps a meet up at the Ace on Sunday, June 10th for a breakfast at 10am?

Ok guys not too long now :clap.

I'm starting to put a list together of who is still attending. If you have still lost all sense of reason and are still planning to attend can you send PM me your email, mobile, planned route and which part of the country you reside in. I'll distribute the list closer to the date. If you would like to ride with someone please also indicate if you have already not done so and I'll do my best to pair you up. Our group accommodation is booked so if you are not planning to camp best to sort something out on your own.

The detailed instructions for the day have been now posted. There is a rally briefing at 8pm on the 22nd of June that they ask all participants to attend. Seeing as it will be an early night I propose that we meet at Squires from 630 onwards.

Those in the London area perhaps a meet up at the Ace on Sunday, June 10th for a breakfast at 10am?

Hi, sorry Meeting on that Sunday will be tough. I retunr from France that day and won't get there till Late. Any other day the following week / weekend? Also, anyone else camping (i presume at squires?)

allready paid up front gonna do it next year

I've got 10th June at the Ace in the diary. As for the riders briefing on the Friday evening, I'll seek to take a half day off on the Friday so I can get there....:thumb2

I've got 10th June at the Ace in the diary. As for the riders briefing on the Friday evening, I'll seek to take a half day off on the Friday so I can get there....:thumb2

Right, I'm not going to be at The Ace on the 10th June; Adventuredon (my riding buddy) and I have met and sorted out our saddlesore strategy :eek:

Therefore, I'm leaving home on 22nd June circa 14.00 and heading for Squires...if anyone from the south east is heading north at roughly the same time, let me know and we can arrange a rvz point....:thumb2

Cool. I Will hopefully be able to leave sw18 around 5. Ago go in via A1 to squire s unless told otherwise. Ditto for a meet on way up. Else Will check you all at the cafe hopefully for or close to briefing. Thinking about that i may need to do M1 ?

Hope it doesn't rain as much this year for all of you as it did last year on me (North anti clockwise). I'd love to do it again, and am not on shift, but daren't go for it again, mostly down to the financial commitment of that much petrol. 4th year of a pay freeze is a bummer:( It really isn't as tough as some of you might think, took me and my mate just 45 mins over the allowed minimum time and we weren't caning it most of the time. Have a routine planned for each fuel stop, ie. petrol, sandwich, piss and go, with about 15 mins off the bike at one or two stops and you'll have no worries.

1082 miles home to home took 16 hours 48 mins according to my TomTom.

I received a letter from White Dalton solicitors, with loads of info....couple of stickers, a rather nice buff, copies of routes, sponsorship forms etc....I also re e mailed them my RBLR registration number just to make sure they have me on their master list; a nice chap replied confirming that I'm on the list.

Let's hope the weather improves......:D

As did I. I also wrote telling him which route etc. My number and certification will be sent soon thereafter. Hope breakfast was good!

Couldn't make the ace today but i shall be off up the A1 on Friday from approx midday onwards might see some of you on the way.
The old Panzer is purring like a well fed Tomcat.

Back
Top Bottom