2021 1290S

Also find it strange anyone wanting the seat even lower, most (tall) earlier 1290 owners (and most of em or tall or else they cannot get on) complain about the new model being too low in the seat, it was what I did not like about the 21 - being sat "in" rather than "on", although my quick demo ride was in low and I need a proper test with seat in high if I get serious about a swap.

This is why I said the sitting position just felt plain weird, despite not being that tall myself I'd like to get a another shot of it in the tall position and see if that makes it feel better. Taking a demo ride in a strange city on strange roads with all tht is/was going on with the bike I'd probably need a full day on one to see if things were different for me.

This is why I said the sitting position just felt plain weird, despite not being that tall myself I'd like to get a another shot of it in the tall position and see if that makes it feel better. Taking a demo ride in a strange city on strange roads with all tht is/was going on with the bike I'd probably need a full day on one to see if things were different for me.

I didn't like the stock seat on low position. 31" inside leg.

I really didn't like it in the high position either though, as it seems to interfere with the rear seat and lifts you up a bit from the back while dropping at the front. The solution for me was the tall seat in the low position. 6 straight days riding Pyrenees were the most comfortable I've ever experienced. The pillion comfort is off the chart compared to the 17 model - just the seat/footpeg relationship I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never believe the hype. Thats their job after all.

The seating is a big change but the suspension and handling difference is huge. One of the things you do notice almost immediately. ....

.....I don't think any one thing makes changing from the old bike worth it really. But because there are so many changes they really add up. The issue is that, like the old 1290 before it, you need seat time and a 2 or 3 hour test ride doesn't allow that.

This is where I could say I beg to differ, as I deliberately rode them back to back (with new sandwiched between me arriving and departing on old) on roads I know like the back of my hand, and with both bikes taking the same route, on the same day and I struggled to notice that much difference, steering felt different, but it would from ebing sat different, plus different tyres, but suspension did not seem all that different on bumps etc - maybe it does with all the unlocks.

But having said you notice it immediately, you go on to say 2-3 hours is not long enough to notice it, so not immediately, nor within the range of a test ride, and if it is such a huge difference it should be obvious in a short ride.

Agree on lots of little bits adding up, but they are all nice to haves (like ease of air filter access) rather than essential - which I saw the CC as when I upgraded from 1190.

Try and get a 2-3 hour test, over winter dealer demo's won't be as busy so they might give you longer.

I could've had it longer if I wished the problem is unfamiliar roads while one is also fucking about with the gubbins. Just too much going on but such is test rides.

This is where I could say I beg to differ, as I deliberately rode them back to back (with new sandwiched between me arriving and departing on old) on roads I know like the back of my hand, and with both bikes taking the same route, on the same day and I struggled to notice that much difference, steering felt different, but it would from ebing sat different, plus different tyres, but suspension did not seem all that different on bumps etc - maybe it does with all the unlocks.

But having said you notice it immediately, you go on to say 2-3 hours is not long enough to notice it, so not immediately, nor within the range of a test ride, and if it is such a huge difference it should be obvious in a short ride.

Agree on lots of little bits adding up, but they are all nice to haves (like ease of air filter access) rather than essential - which I saw the CC as when I upgraded from 1190.

Try and get a 2-3 hour test, over winter dealer demo's won't be as busy so they might give you longer.

Fair enough. We're all different. But pretty much anyone ought to feel the whole bike balance and manners have changed. But combined with all the other changes I'll stick with the view that the new bike takes time to fully appreciate.

There's another argument that says a good bike ought to allow instant dial-in. For sure the Tuono is such a bike, but even that took some time to appreciate just how well sorted they are and how much you can push. Seems the Ducati may be easier to dial in to from what I've read but both 1290's I've had have taken time to fully appreciate. Maybe it's just me.

I've mentioned on here before the head shake I get, mostly when two up and loaded.

I was going to buy an adjustable Touratech one but they don't seem to list the 17 or 21 bikes (same ktm part number).

Dug around and discovered some have replaced the oil in the damper. Sounds cheap. Sounds logical.

So this evening I took it off and stripped it down. If you have the pinch type circlip pliers it's simple to take apart. I didn't, but being an utter genius I managed to get it out after 46 attempts with the wrong type of pliers and a tiny screwdriver.

The oil (or perhaps I should say water) that came out was less like brake fluid viscosity - probs 5W. Youtube 'expert' said use 20W. I didn't have any of that so I've ordered some off Amazon for tomorrow (went for 15W). It's a quick job so I tried some oil I did have - 30W. I can confirm it makes a massive difference :bounce1 Too much difference as the bars were very stiff but still moved left/right. So I stripped it again and cleared all that out with alcohol and it sits waiting for 15W. Let you know how it goes but if it works, and I think it'll be massively better even if not 100%, then the fix for this is £7.49 and a genius.

Fair enough. We're all different. But pretty much anyone ought to feel the whole bike balance and manners have changed. But combined with all the other changes I'll stick with the view that the new bike takes time to fully appreciate.

There's another argument that says a good bike ought to allow instant dial-in. For sure the Tuono is such a bike, but even that took some time to appreciate just how well sorted they are and how much you can push. Seems the Ducati may be easier to dial in to from what I've read but both 1290's I've had have taken time to fully appreciate. Maybe it's just me.

Your correct about the Ducati , dialed mine in almost from the off , ride now in 1 + luggage to tip the rear up a bit , touring medium setting /anti wheelie 3 on the suspension , and sport soft /anti wheelie a 1 as it works better over the welsh back lanes and the power is more instant. Faster road sections Sport standart still with the added pre load.
Suspension Nivarna for me.

Update on the oil change in the steering damper.

3 hrs on the bike yesterday with the 15W suspension oil in the damper.

The good: Bike feels more planted for sure. Or should I say even more planted. The steering isn’t so ‘lively’ so you can relax a bit more. No I’ll effects in normal slow or fast speed flip flop riding. Less steering wobble.

The not so good: Has not eliminated the issue. I would say it’s 50% better, not the 90% I was hoping for. Obviously people will say you should always have hands on the bars at all times, which is true of course, but there are some moments when there’s no other traffic and sitting bolt upright and cruising sans hands for a short time breaks the posture set and feels nice, or maybe pulling the glove on properly or…. - at that moment when the bars start to shake, increasing to a full on slapper if you let it, it’s disappointing at best. One finger stops it, but I’ve only experienced this issue with the 2 1290’s.

Anyway, if you’re up for it I can recommend the 15W oil. A simple and cheap job, so why not.

but there are some moments when there’s no other traffic and sitting bolt upright and cruising sans hands for a short time breaks the posture set and feels nice, or maybe pulling the glove on properly or…. - at that moment when the bars start to shake, increasing to a full on slapper if you let it, it’s disappointing at best. One finger stops it, but I’ve only experienced this issue with the 2 1290’s.

I have only ever experienced this wobble on deceleration with hands off bars, even using cheapo "cruise" throttle lock kind of devices has stopped this happening, so would assume if you set cruise you should be able to take hands of bars - what I really wanted cruise for as my wrists ache and hands go numb when touring (long motorway sections particularly)

I have only ever experienced this wobble on deceleration with hands off bars, even using cheapo "cruise" throttle lock kind of devices has stopped this happening, so would assume if you set cruise you should be able to take hands of bars - what I really wanted cruise for as my wrists ache and hands go numb when touring (long motorway sections particularly)

I get the wobble start 30-50mph roughly speaking. Usually have cruise activated (hence able to let go). Sometimes it does it, some times not. But in that range I can definitely get it going by giving the bars a prod. I'm assuming above 50mph'ish centrifugal forces take over and help prevent the wobble starting. Definitely worse with pillion/luggage.

I get the wobble start 30-50mph roughly speaking. Usually have cruise activated (hence able to let go). Sometimes it does it, some times not. But in that range I can definitely get it going by giving the bars a prod. I'm assuming above 50mph'ish centrifugal forces take over and help prevent the wobble starting. Definitely worse with pillion/luggage.

Sounds like you need to get more weight on the front wheel.

That is a wide speed range, if happening solo without luggage I would be suspicious of a bike problem - tyre / head bearings etc. doubt any suspension settings could be far enough out of whack, nor load on bike really, unless you sit on pillion seat when taking hands of bars.

Or try the dealer demo and see if that does it.

Orange Bench Seat

Been on a bit of a Holy Grail quest to find the perfect seat for me :augie

Standard seat not comfortable and way too low even in the high position.

High Ergo seat as mentioned earlier good but I end up sitting on the ridge at the back in the high position :blast

Like the look of the Orange bench seat and so ordered one of those. Already knew from Derek that this would not necessarily solve the problem as they slope too much towards the tank and are a bit narrower.

Gave it a go on a 2 hour ride and could not get comfortable due to slope and foam being too soft for my liking.

So took the seat to CCR Auto Trim in Loughborough to see what they could do to improve matters i.e. take out the dip at the front, raise it up slightly, make it level and a little wider using denser foam etc.

Think I may have gotten there now - CCR even managed to reuse the original cover :thumb

PS - do not try this if you are under 6' tall :D

Before:

After

I've just taken my standard seat (bench seat for the SAR) to Gex the seat man for remodelling. Moving the hump back and smoothing it out, raising it a bid, changing the shape slightly, and putting some memory foam and other stuff to make it more comfortable. And making it pretty colours.

Well I’ve just picked up a 900 miler, tech pack, heated seats, heated grips , full touratech pannier set, scotoiler, auxiliary lights, sat nav mount, for 14k….. traded in my 24,000 miler 2017 for a reasonable price, otherwise would have sold privately
Tbh a lot of the tech stuff I wouldn’t have paid for if I was buying it new. I never remember to use the quick shifter, really don’t see the point. Millions of suspension options, suspect it will spend most of its life in auto with the preload cranked up
I may stick an Arrow can on it, usually buy them from Italy but brexit has put paid to that, and may go and see señor Geoff for a remap (he did my 2017 and 1200 gs previously)

Back
Top Bottom