450 GS - first impressions

Flaneur

New member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
Feb 14, 2012
Messages
4
Reaction score
40
Location
Derry, NI
It is intriguing that virtually all the reviews of the 450 GS have been of the Trophy or the Sport versions. I have seen nothing about the Exclusive. On hearing about the imminent emergence of the 450 GS I was both excited and intrigued. I have owned many GS models, from basic to adventure, but have, since 2014, been riding an RNineT which for me is the closest I can get to the perfect motorcycle. The dimensions are perfect (I am 5'11"), it is the ideal capacity and the engine delivers the power in a manner which complements the roads I ride around north west Ireland. Despite the perfection of the R9T, however, I still yearned for a GS. I bought a 310 GS and quite liked it but became bored with it after a year or so passing it on to a friend who I think has yet to ride it!

At my age (over 70) I knew the larger GS machines were probably a non-starter, mainly in terms of getting them in and out of the garage not necessarily on the road so the 450 GS seemed the perfect solution. I placed an order for a Trophy and then when I went to see it in the showroom began to have doubts. I was almost sure the ERC clutch would both irritate and confuse me after so many years using a proper clutch and the colour scheme began to irritate also, particularly the white frame. My friend who was with me did not help this thought by proclaiming that the Trophy looked like Mickey Marley's roundabout, a gaudy children's ride which toured the streets of Belfast in the 1940s and 50s. The black Exclusive was skulking in the back of the showroom and the more I looked at it the more I desired it. For clarity I generally gravitate to black in most things and will continue to do so until someone designs a darker colour. The other draw was that I could have the Exclusive immediately rather than having to wait until September for the Trophy by which time in truth I might well be dead.

So the Exclusive was collected last week and I have put about 300 miles on it. The first hour I thought I had made a real mistake but I then realised I was trying to ride it as I would the R9T. Old habits and all that. Once I realised that it needed to be 'hooliganed' a little it began to make sense. Firstly, let us be clear this is not just a bigger 310 Gs. This is a proper thing. It is quite high and while I can get my feet flat on the ground it is still imposing enough to make one concentrate. It pulls well in every gear (although I am still running it in) and handles exactly as one would expect a GS to. It does not feel underpowered and pulls well out of corners and when overtaking. The quick shift gearbox is a joy and I am certain I made the correct choice not going ERC as I am too old to start riding a scooter again. The riding position is again as one would expect a GS to be and the seat is genuinely comfortable, a little hard but not tiring on longer runs. (I did about three hours in one session.)

Most critically I think the black looks quite special. Not flash, not anonymous but just going about its business with an aura of sophistication which I think both the Trophy and the Sport lack. But then they are aimed at younger riders who have not yet learned the importance of black to anyone who wishes to appear even mildly cool.

So to this point all good, although it is only 300 miles. I will offer a more detailed account as the miles progress.
 
Having recently had the urge for some retail therapy I had a big fuck it moment and put a deposit on the Trophy version because I love the colour scheme which is the same as my 1250. The purchase is subject to me liking it when I'm able to test ride one.

I was interested and pleased to hear your positive thoughts so please keep them coming.

Many on the launch seemed to like the auto clutch so I hope I do to.

The demo model at Cotswold BMW Cheltenham was crashed sadly so hopefully they will have a replacement very soon

Mine may come in June but they can't confirm yet.

WhatsApp Image 2026-06-12 at 2.06.28 PM.jpeg
 
It is intriguing that virtually all the reviews of the 450 GS have been of the Trophy or the Sport versions. I have seen nothing about the Exclusive. On hearing about the imminent emergence of the 450 GS I was both excited and intrigued. I have owned many GS models, from basic to adventure, but have, since 2014, been riding an RNineT which for me is the closest I can get to the perfect motorcycle. The dimensions are perfect (I am 5'11"), it is the ideal capacity and the engine delivers the power in a manner which complements the roads I ride around north west Ireland. Despite the perfection of the R9T, however, I still yearned for a GS. I bought a 310 GS and quite liked it but became bored with it after a year or so passing it on to a friend who I think has yet to ride it!

At my age (over 70) I knew the larger GS machines were probably a non-starter, mainly in terms of getting them in and out of the garage not necessarily on the road so the 450 GS seemed the perfect solution. I placed an order for a Trophy and then when I went to see it in the showroom began to have doubts. I was almost sure the ERC clutch would both irritate and confuse me after so many years using a proper clutch and the colour scheme began to irritate also, particularly the white frame. My friend who was with me did not help this thought by proclaiming that the Trophy looked like Mickey Marley's roundabout, a gaudy children's ride which toured the streets of Belfast in the 1940s and 50s. The black Exclusive was skulking in the back of the showroom and the more I looked at it the more I desired it. For clarity I generally gravitate to black in most things and will continue to do so until someone designs a darker colour. The other draw was that I could have the Exclusive immediately rather than having to wait until September for the Trophy by which time in truth I might well be dead.

So the Exclusive was collected last week and I have put about 300 miles on it. The first hour I thought I had made a real mistake but I then realised I was trying to ride it as I would the R9T. Old habits and all that. Once I realised that it needed to be 'hooliganed' a little it began to make sense. Firstly, let us be clear this is not just a bigger 310 Gs. This is a proper thing. It is quite high and while I can get my feet flat on the ground it is still imposing enough to make one concentrate. It pulls well in every gear (although I am still running it in) and handles exactly as one would expect a GS to. It does not feel underpowered and pulls well out of corners and when overtaking. The quick shift gearbox is a joy and I am certain I made the correct choice not going ERC as I am too old to start riding a scooter again. The riding position is again as one would expect a GS to be and the seat is genuinely comfortable, a little hard but not tiring on longer runs. (I did about three hours in one session.)

Most critically I think the black looks quite special. Not flash, not anonymous but just going about its business with an aura of sophistication which I think both the Trophy and the Sport lack. But then they are aimed at younger riders who have not yet learned the importance of black to anyone who wishes to appear even mildly cool.

So to this point all good, although it is only 300 miles. I will offer a more detailed account as the miles progress.
Let’s have a pic you new bike then 😊
 
@Flaneur , I too have an R9t Scrambler and want a 450 GS to add onto my Land Cruiser for town and trail hopping in Spain and the like. However, I won’t be buying it with the ERC.
I see a few Indian YouTube channels are saying avoid the ERC as it’s a costly repair and prone to wear, so I think you have chosen correctly. Best model they advocate is non ERC and with sports suspension.
Until the 450 GS is offered with spoked wheels and no ERC then I will not be buying. The Aprillia Tuareg 457 due to be launched at Eicma this November is higher on my list.
Enjoy your new ride and do report back.
 
For clarity I generally gravitate to black in most things and will continue to do so until someone designs a darker colour.

Thanks for penning your thoughts Flaneur, is the RNineT gone or have you kept it as your benchmark that the 450 has to rise to?

New one to me so was worth reading for that line alone 😆 👍
 
@Flaneur Thanks for your overview....looking forward to your updates.

Most importantly, I hope that you make it past this coming September by a good few years! 🙂
 
Having recently had the urge for some retail therapy I had a big fuck it moment and put a deposit on the Trophy version because I love the colour scheme......

Mine may come in June but they can't confirm yet.

View attachment 512516
Blimey, you must be the youngest GSer there is...you look totally different to how I'd imagined you......(Enjoy your purchase!)
 
Thanks for penning your thoughts Flaneur, is the RNineT gone or have you kept it as your benchmark that the 450 has to rise to?

New one to me so was worth reading for that line alone 😆 👍
The R9T is here for the long haul. I have never ridden a machine which offers me the ability to feel confident in both its capabilities and mine. So the F450 GS and the R9T will garage together as strange bedfellows. If it is relevant I also have a collection of Velocette machines as well, one of which was sat upon by Prince William on a visit to Belfast. More importantly the pride of this bunch is a 1930 KTT which was reputedly raced in the 1930s by Tim Hunt.
 
Third decent ride of the running in period today. Weather glorious and an interesting route through Fermanagh where even the B roads tend to have grass up the middle. The running in business is frustrating because the machine does want to go. It hits the running in rev limit remarkably rapidly in every gear and this, I think, bodes well for future travels. I have also been using the quick shift gear change and have to say it is, to this point, flawless with each and every gear dropping in smoothly - up or down the box - and without any impact on engine speed. The last part of the journey was, even at limited revs, exhilarating, coming up over a small mountain road which had actual grass growing up the middle and at each side. The machine fully made sense for the first time sitting at 55/60 miles per hour and gliding through bends and over any road obstacle thrown up. It is not tiring to ride even for a rider of my maturity and is light, agile and quietly inspiring.

I watched an interesting review on YT last night of the Trophy and the reviewer was deeply frustrated by the ERC clutch especially its tendency to do nothing until about 2500 revs which convinced me even more that I had made the right decision and opted for the Exclusive. Some commentators have complained of vibration but I have not had the luxury of the kinds of revs, or speeds, which might bring that vibration on so will be interested in finding out if that is indeed a thing. Conversely the same commentators suggested that this vibration was mainly on motorways and larger dual carriageway type routes. Ah...that is not, categorically, what this machine is for.

More tomorrow if the weather holds.
 
I took one out today (a video will follow)
Briefly

LIkes
Punchy revvy engine a real joy to use
Great handling really flickable but also stable and confidence inspiring
It felt light
Comfy (apart from the seat)
The I am on a mini GS feel
Brakes
front end
Good wind protection at 80

Dislikes
Seat so hard it feels like obsidian
Choppy rear shock
The stupid e clutch - it worked ok and Its intuitive but why would you want one ???
For me it felt a bit physically small

Overall really nice I would go for the one without the eclutch

It doesn't have the character of a Himi 450 but it has a fair bit more shove

Really enjoyed it TBH

As I said I am videoing thse type of bikes
i have done the KLE
Have the Himi waiting on editing
This in pre edit
We are doing the triumph next
 
These still have my curiosity aroused but haven’t seen much in this section of late.

Just wondering how folk are getting on with them and what sort of riding most are using them for, and how they fit the brief for the particular reason you’ve chosen them for.

Had a very quick nose round the non ERC sport version parked up outside a dealers and to be honest it didn’t feel as light as I was expecting (hoping) it to be, but appeared to be fairly roomy for it’s CC category.
 
Hi everyone, just to say how much I am enjoying the 450 (and my wife is). I test rode the Trophy and ordered one but it wasn't going to be available till October. So I changed my mind and managed to find one at my local dealer who had a black exclusive one which was perfect for me. It is probably the best quick shifter I have ever used on a BMW; so no need for the clutch - only to start and stop. I like that I can leave it in gear. I ride mainly two up with my wife and don't really notice the difference one up or two up. There is a bit of vibration at 70+mph, but I normally stick to 60 mph or less on the A & B roads. Bike has just had it's first service so I can open it fully now and I am quite surprised how fast the little bike can go! At my age now (69) it is so much easier and lighter to move around. I have had the bike now for a couple of months and done 1500 miles. Still riding two up, and did a 150 mile round trip to Sammy Millers Museum yesterday and have no complaints about the bike. Got a GIVI top box on the back and can see us using the bike for touring.
Live life and ride!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0647.jpg
    IMG_0647.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 16
Good morning. So I’m only up to 300 miles on my trophy and my initial impression is 8/10. At 6‘2“ and 14 stone I find the economics comfortable although I’ll look to add a higher seat when one becomes available for the dual seat model in the future. That or lower foot rests just to give my aging knees little more room. The weight of the bike is excellent for what I now require and easy to push around and move in my tight garage for space. The clutch is easy to use, but I only use it for initially starting and the rest of the time as I’m over 3000 RPM I just use clutch as normal. My only negative factors so far are the screen is too low for me so wind resistance across the shoulder on the motorway create some buffeting which then creates movement due to the lightness of the bike. I put a 505 mm screen on which currently is a little too high because that now has deflected the wind so it hits me across the visor and on top of the head creating helmet buffeting. I would be better with a 450 mm screen, but I’m waiting in case the high seat becomes available and it should work. My only other gripe is the rear suspension is extremely hard and choppy and I’m struggling to even dial this out. Spring preload is only on number two and I’ve dropped this too number one with no effect and I’ve tried increasing rebound which again seemed to have no affecting slowing the chopping down. If I decide to keep the bike long-term, I’ll think of replacing this with a decent item. All in all it doesn’t feel a small bite to ride and at motorway speeds of 70–80 mph it travels quite easily. At some point, I’ll add a rear rack for my large soft bag or buy some modern throw over panniers. I was hoping that BMW would bring their 600 out before this and I would’ve bought that. It looks like the 600 has possibly been delayed because the Indian company wanted to bring their own version out first but should be the same 585 mL engine. Do I regret buying this? The answer is no and I do plan to do some UK tours in the spring. This will also get ridden over the winter on the clear crisp days and I look forward to getting some decent miles in. PS I’m currently getting 220to fuel stops.
 
Picked up mine nearly 4 weeks ago. Coming up on 600km and loving it, had a F650CS for several years in my 20s but it's nearly 19 years now since I last rode. Didn't have a car then and used bike daily around Dublin. I have wanted to get back on them for years but living down the country and kids meant running a motorbike became a luxury. Very nearly went for an R310 a year or two ago but glad I waited. I think I would have found it under powered very quickly. 450 has just enough to keep me entertained.

Was considering a few other options NX500, NC750X, Hornet 750 new Suzuki Sv-7gx I was tempted to wait for but I'm happy I went for the 450. Finance deals with BMW just make them a bit more affordable. Did look at second hand but prices here in Ireland are nuts.

Not much I don't like about it, engine is so free revving and just wants to go. Can't wait to have run in done so I can use full rev range! ERC is good I do like it, could see it being very handy if you do a lot of city traffic. Think I would have been fine with the Sport long term as the quick shifter is so good you basically only need the clutch pulling away anyways. ERC has made it very handy jump back on two wheels though. Do need to remind myself sometimes I don't need to use the clutch and have my hand on it. I wanted the Trophy Colours though so ERC it was! I bought the helmet before the bike so was committed! Had bought full set of gear month before while I was deciding. For some reason I seem to have grown out of my old Dainese leathers! Probably safer in new gear though. It was also all stashed in inlaws so I couldn't get hold of it without letting anyone know what I was up to!

The headlight on it is excellent much better than I remember my CS being. Having all the tech, extra buttons and menus is strange but phone Navigation is decent. Throttle is very smooth, brakes seem decent though I haven't had to use them in anger yet. Slow speed maneuvering is improving though i do keep trying to feather the clutch and have to remind myself to use the rear brake. Need to go find an empty car park and practice my figure of eights properly!

Position and comfort wise I find it great. I'm 174cm and can flat foot it. Has good presence on the road, it does not look or feel like a small bike. Was slightly worried that I'd find it too upright and handling too different. I had F650GS's fairly often when the CS was serviced and I always found the more upright, feet forward position weird and handling a bit disconcerting. Just couldn't throw it in to bends at speed with same comfort. F450 feels very light and flickable and am getting a bit more used to pushing the limits. It's certainly well capable of going through bends keeping to the speed limit. I will change for some more road biased tyre down down the line as reality I'm not going to go down anything worse than a bog road.

Haven't had as much time to ride as I'd like as work has been mental but have got a few commutes in. Managed 3 days in row this week and took the long way home on some nice twisty roads one of the evenings. It's perfect on the 60 and 80km limit backroads I commute on every day. 28km across country is a nice way to clear the head. It's incredibly efficient, long term trip is showing 3.6L per 100km. 3.5 since I filled the tank last which is over 80 mpg.

Only thing I've bought for the bike yets besides clothes and helmet yet is a set of keyed alike Hiplok DX1000 U lock.and MDX1000 Disc lock. Next purchase will be some better luggage options. Just using a small back pack with Rok straps at the moment. Getting a topbox is cheaper option as is is so handy to be able to throw helmet in when stopped. Not sure if I want do it though and would prefer the look of panniers. Was considering some of the Rhinobag options but probably will get a Kriega tail bag and SW Motech tank bag for the moment, will do for the commute. Hoping to maybe get a mini tour in on the west coast in October if we get a good spell of weather so can lash a dry bag on. Plan next year then maybe a week in Scotland camping so would want better luggage sorted for that. All soft luggage is tempting for the price. I'm used to using Ortliebs for cycle touring and packing light but having some lockable luggage cases would be handy touring. I will get some sort of rack at very least as it will make mounting luggage easier and could do with a grab rail for maneuvering back into the shed. Will probably add crash bars and axle sliders soon enough.


Have forgotten to take a decent pic! But have had no spins beside commutes bar the 120km I did the day I collected it.
PXL-20260902-142907339.jpg


Hiplok DX1000 will fit through swing arm and one spoke. Very awkward to get at with a grinder if anyone tries it. Bid fiddly to lock but got the hang of it now. Will add a ground anchor and have an old 14mm abus loop chain.
PXL-20260917-184536586-NIGHT.jpg
 
Welcome to the forum and health to enjoy your new ride 👍

I think the trophy colour scheme is the pick of the bunch, suits the bike really well. But it is causing a bit of a dilemma for some as unlike you they would prefer not to have the ERC along with it. Sounds like for the position you’re in it’s not an issue and as you’ve been absent for a while it’ll be natural from the off.

As you’re not planning on going off road much I expect you’ve already sussed out that the Exclusive model has a bigger screen that I believe you can fit, or the optional extra touring screen that is taller and wider than both the others for better protection.
Don’t have this bike myself so maybe worth reading up on what others say about each option with regards to buffeting.

Cheers for the write up, enjoy the post running in experience 😃
 


Back
Top Bottom