4500 Vibes - Evotech Bar End Weights & Grip Puppies

Gavin Buckle

Reaction score
I have a 2008 R1200GS & the 4500RPM vibes sometimes become annoying.
Has anyone used the Evotech Bar End Weights and do they help eliminate these vibes?
Has anyone used Gip Puppies (or similar) and do they help eliminate these vibes?

I've got the grip buddies that are sold by nippy Normans. More for the increase in diameter which helps my Carpel Tunnel, not sure there's a massive reduction in vibes, though.
Bar end weights? That's a big can of worms you've just opened there. Plenty of opinions on that. I just have normal weight ones on mine and it's fairly smooth at most revs.
Risers to take the weight of your arms and hands can help.
The best way is to make the vibes go away by either getting your ECU remapped or fitting a set of AF XiED's.
Plenty of info on both on the forum.
You get a modest improvement in performance but, more importantly, if smooths out the weak fueling where the engine is tested for emissions. Around 3-4k rpm, strangely enough!

I have a 2008 R1200GS & the 4500RPM vibes sometimes become annoying.
Has anyone used the Evotech Bar End Weights and do they help eliminate these vibes?
Has anyone used Gip Puppies (or similar) and do they help eliminate these vibes?

I use grip puppies and I am happy with the results..... minor vibes on a long motorway run, but nothing like it was without them. I have on occasion had numb hands for a few minutes after riding..... scary!

SP ;)

I have large lead filled end weights on Renthal bars with Rox Anti Vibe risers. I also have Sorbothane under heat shrink sleeve to give a less fat grip puppy effect. The vibration is much better but still not good enough for my taste.

Touching the fork top vibes feel a lot worse. Touching the beak plastic vibes feel non existent. I will have to try the mobile phone vibration test method. Someone used one to collect bike vibration data. Sorry cant remember where that was posted.

Weird the difference between different bikes of the same make/model; i don't experience any intrusive vibes on my awesome steed :)

I have completed an endurance run before and suffered with my hands afterwards which led me to trying out a few things.
I fitted some grip puppies and it took time to get used to the increase in circumference but now that I have I prefer it.
I had a BMW cross bar and pad fitted which created a short and stopped the bars damping the effect, removing this helped.
I was using a mechanical throttle lock that meant swapping out the bar end weights and the replacements were lighter. Swapping these back to the standard heavier versions helped.
These three things helped but I can't help feeling they just mask what shouldn't be there in the first place.

I have that annoying gearbox rattle in neutral but functionally it's fine and (last time I looked) no oil leaks. Vibrations can vary ride to ride, so I wonder if the clutch driven plate is part of the problem. There is no nose bearing on gearbox input shaft, so it's possible the shaft end could flex enough to let the clutch plate get offcentre.

It's just a theory and might be rubbish. Eventually I'll be fitting a replacement gearbox (that rattle isnt improving) or maybe having this one rebuilt. The clutch will also be renewed. If that reduces vibrations we'll know if my idea is right.

Some days my TC is really smooth and others it feels like a washing machine on spin cycle. Dunno why :blast maybe air temperature, humidity, pressure? Anyway the bad days are few and far between and not bad enough that I can be arsed to do anything about it. Some joy from annoying my mate by riding at about 70, as his GSA is quite bad and he hates those sort of speeds.

Some days my TC is really smooth and others it feels like a washing machine on spin cycle. Dunno why :blast maybe air temperature, humidity, pressure? Anyway the bad days are few and far between and not bad enough that I can be arsed to do anything about it. Some joy from annoying my mate by riding at about 70, as his GSA is quite bad and he hates those sort of speeds.

Mine use to be a pig at 70/75 until I got the fueling sorted out.

My single cam is horrible to ride at constant motorway speeds.
Recently got a set of AF-XiED...... just waiting to get them fitted.... hoping its a step in the right direction.

Sent from a OnePlusX.

Mine use to be a pig at 70/75 until I got the fueling sorted out.

Mine has much better fuelling than standard but still vibrates at motorway speeds. I expect a Hill Top will sort out the fuelling once and for all but don't expect it will fix the vibrations.

I've got the grip buddies that are sold by nippy Normans. More for the increase in diameter which helps my Carpel Tunnel, not sure there's a massive reduction in vibes, though.
Bar end weights? That's a big can of worms you've just opened there. Plenty of opinions on that. I just have normal weight ones on mine and it's fairly smooth at most revs.
Risers to take the weight of your arms and hands can help.
The best way is to make the vibes go away by either getting your ECU remapped or fitting a set of AF XiED's.
Plenty of info on both on the forum.
You get a modest improvement in performance but, more importantly, if smooths out the weak fueling where the engine is tested for emissions. Around 3-4k rpm, strangely enough!

Hi John

not sure if it's been mentioned... Emmisions arn't tested this side of the pond ;)

Here neither. But my point was, that BMW have to make their engines run clean at those revs to get through emissions testing before they're able to sell them to the public.
Unless you're Volkswagen.
Mind you, if they ever do start to test emissions for the mot, there's going to be a bit of a panic.
Geoff will make a fortune putting them back to stock fuelling!
I'll just unplug my AF XiED's and put a couple of hundred miles on it.
Stranger things have happened.

UK has never put MOT demands backwards to older vehicles. It's why we can still get ancient 2 strokes through the MOT. However, newer vehicles must meet the standards applicable when they were built. The EU would far rather that all old vehicles are scrapped when they can't meet new emissions standards.

The standard GS Hexhead left the factory running weak to minimise HC emissions. NOx was ignored. Without careful design, weak air fuel ratios increase NOx. Watercooling is the only way to reduce combustion chamber hot spots that cause NOx.

A Hilltopped bike tuned for best power will be dirty compared to those tuned for fuel economy. However, it's likely that all Hilltopped bikes are better on NOx emissions.

I have a grip puppy on the LH grip, and a wrist lever on the right,

My bars are up and back 1.5inches as well.

Dont notice vibes, the lever and puppies helped

I am with Comberjohn on this one. I have the AF XIED units fitted and has transformed the bike. Much, much smoother and punchier on my TC. I have had a hilltop on my previous TC. My view is the hilltop remap is that it has a bit more grung than the AF units but the AF gizmo delivered a smoother ride.....fell in love with my GSA all over again. Also yo have the added bonus of being able to transfer them to a new bike or sell them and get a return.

About the same cost and the way to go....easy to fit...love em.

Back
Top Bottom