A whole new can of worms

dmilne

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Due to a temporary wonky leg, I have to buy a 3 wheel scooter which will lock upright when I stop and won't try to fall over when I'm wheeling it about in my garage...
I really wanted the 900cc Yamaha Nikin as it has enough oomph and I can still go touring with my mates but it doesn't lock upright. Let go of it and it will fall over just like a bike!! Daft I think.
I'm looking at a Piaggio MP3 500.
They have a front track of over 460mm so are classed as a trike - like a Reliant Robin- so you don't need a motorcycle licence or need to wear a crash helmet.
I don't care about that, I don't need that, so it doesn't affect me, I'll ride it like a bike.
But... my current insurers will not accept it unless I have a years NCB on a trike.
So I can't get insurance on a trike unless I have a years NCB on a trike and I can't earn an NCB unless I can get insured on it...
Current 400cc scooter premium is £71
Quotation for the 500cc 3 wheeler is .......£199 . That was the cheapest. The other ones were £1900!!!
Road tax for a 500cc bike is £80
Road tax for a 500cc trike is £67 or £111 depends where you look.
This was supposed to be a cheap temporary fix!!
But it is ULEZ compliant unlike the 400cc scoot...Sigh...

Anyone sell a scooter that is classed as a bike as the front wheels are close enough together?

May be too expensive if it’s short term … but there is a way to modify an existing bike - I’ve seen one in use and it’s impressive. As I say, lumpy though£££

They have a front track of over 460mm so are classed as a trike - like a Reliant Robin- so you don't need a motorcycle licence or need to wear a crash helmet.
Only if it weighs over 550 kg.

I was also looking at these scooter trikes, don't forget the Kymco looks pretty good and also the older model Gilera, just to throw a spanner in the works, you might like the Qooder QV4, which has four wheels. I tried to find the front wheelbase to all these but no luck.

Last edited:
Only if it weighs over 550 kg.

I was also looking at these scooter trikes, don't forget the Kymco looks pretty good and also the older model Gilera, just to throw a spanner in the works, you might like the Qooder QV4, which has four wheels. I tried to find the front wheelbase to all these but no luck.
Oohh ! I've heard of those... I'll give it a look..Tks D

MCN Compare: the MP3 500cc is on the drop down list for "motorcycles" and I was quoted the princely sum of £99 for a full comp policy with Devitt.

Looks good but only 30 BHP, I'll have to consider it Thank you.

And I'll try Devitt !!

Back
Top Bottom