Advice wanted - Which GPS ?

ALEXG

I am a complete non-geek but am reasonably competent at learning how to use computers and electronic devices . In the field of SatNav I am ignorant and would like some help in chosing how to go.

Up to now I have used Navman software on an IPAQ but I want to buy something more powerful , flexible and bike oriented .

My most important requirements are:

To be able to pre load a week's route with say 50 to 100 towns or specific locations on the way .

I want to be able to specify actual roads I want to take or avoid.

I would like to be able to plan a route on Microsoft Autoroute and download it .

It must have a large , easy to read screen with large easy to press buttons.

Ideally it would have a bluetooth sound output .

It needs reasonable weather proofing.

It must be reliable

I would not say money is no object but would be prepared to pay what it costs to get all of the above.

Most of you know a lot more than me - what are your thoughts ?

Step 1: Read lots of the threads in the GPS Info forum. This question has been asked untold numbers of times.

Step 2: Buy a Garmin Quest. Or a Garmin 2610 if you are loaded. Or a 276C if you spend a lot of time off-road.

Quest: non-expandable memory (128mb built in?), portable (built in battery), small colour screen (2.66"/68mm diagonal). You'll need to buy a bike mount.

276c: limited to 256mb memory (Garmins own cards), portable (built in battery), large colour screen (3.8"/96mmm diagonal). You'll need to buy a bike mount.

2610: takes CF cards of whatever size you want although nothing bigger than 2gb needed, not portable unless you buy an aftermarket battery pack (rechargeable) but does come with an a/c mains adapter for use indoors when downloading from PC, similar screen to 276c. Comes with a 256mb CF card as standard. You'll need to buy a bike mount.

Navigator II: re-packaged 2610 with extra set of buttons built in to the cradle to complement the touchscreen. Comes with a 512mb CF card. Lists all BMW dealers in Europe. Comes with a 2 year warranty - regular Garmins might only come with a 1 year warranty????. Comes with a bike mount & cradle & cost about £1,300 total last year, now superseded by

Nav.II Plus: as above but with a 2gb card installed that has the whole of Europe already preloaded. Costs £985.00, price reduction due to complaints of Nav.II being too expensive, although this is not cheap itself.

I've just gone through buying a GPS, I ended up with a second hand, year old Nav.II. Worked out slightly cheaper than a new 2610, plus I appreciate the extra buttons on the mount when wearing winter gloves. Remainder of warranty is transferable.

For me, it was a case of choosing between portabilty (276c) or expandable memory (2610 & variants). The memory swung it for me, I'd have bought a new 2610 had the Nav.II not come along at the right time & price. The Quest never really entered the competition for me.

Both the Quest & 276c can store more waypoints than the 2610 but the 2610's 500 waypoints are enough for me.

Should you go for a 2610 & wish to expand the memory, just buy a Multi Layer CF card instead of the more expensive Single Layer cards.

I think all of the above come with the necessary parts, cable & bean bag mounts to run it in a car via fag lighter.

Steve Pickford said:
Quest: non-expandable memory (128mb built in?),

Nearly right, it's 256 mb built in, except for the US units, which for some bizarre reason are 128 mb (actually 113 IIRC).

Kropotkin said:
Nearly right, it's 256 mb built in, except for the US units, which for some bizarre reason are 128 mb (actually 113 IIRC).

I was told this by Josh Hogan (RTW Yank, 1150GS) on Sunday at the HU meet but thought he was wrong?

Any ideas why?

Steve Pickford said:

Any ideas why?

I have no idea at all. Seems to me it's more expensive to produce two physically different units. Probably something to do with time to market and US pricing.

Back
Top Bottom