After 20K miles on the 1250 GS & 1250GS ADV - A honest review

And Arsey I know you would be much happier in a car when a GS has ZERO appeal to you...Why do you spend half of your life on a GS-Enthusiast forum...;)

A GS has plenty of appeal . That’s why I have one in my garage . It’s just not the plastic anodyne version that you can’t see past .

:thumby: Arsey I don't know which GS you have in your garage but I had pretty much every one since the 1987 R100GS which I liked a lot back then.Today I would say it is junk.No power,no brakes,wiggly frame.Back in 2004 the 1200GS stood out for me again.Much lighter,more power,less vibration,better mpg.That bike was so far ahead of it's times that it is still rideable by todays standards.Fast forward to 2019.The 1250GS is as smooth and tractable as a electric motor,makes lots of low to midrange torque and only need a little bit more above 8000 rpm to make it the perfect motorcycle engine...The next generation is 2 years away !

Ricardo makes gearboxes for BMW. That is what I said. What is incorrect in that statement?

:thumby: Arsey I don't know which GS you have in your garage but I had pretty much every one since the 1987 R100GS which I liked a lot back then.Today I would say it is junk.No power,no brakes,wiggly frame.Back in 2004 the 1200GS stood out for me again.Much lighter,more power,less vibration,better mpg.That bike was so far ahead of it's times that it is still rideable by todays standards.Fast forward to 2019.The 1250GS is as smooth and tractable as a electric motor,makes lots of low to midrange torque and only need a little bit more above 8000 rpm to make it the perfect motorcycle engine...The next generation is 2 years away !
Why does it need more above 8000 rpm ? People who know about riding hardly ever get anywhere near those revs.

People who know about fast riding keep the revs of an S1000RR between 8 and 14000 rpm...:D Or the revs of a KTM 1290 or MS V4 ABOVE 8000 rpm because here and only here their engines make more power than the engine of the 1250GS...
B.t.w. the new MS V4 is on halt and bikes already sold or on the showroom floor are send back to italy for a engine swap....:eek:I guess bad valve guides.

People who know about fast riding keep the revs of an S1000RR between 8 and 14000 rpm...:D Or the revs of a KTM 1290 or MS V4 ABOVE 8000 rpm because here and only here their engines make more power than the engine of the 1250GS...
B.t.w. the new MS V4 is on halt and bikes already sold or on the showroom floor are send back to italy for a engine swap....:eek:I guess bad valve guides.

If you are comparing a GS 1250 now to a 1000RR you are talking more shite than normal.......if you run an RR between 8k rpm to 14k rpm a GS wouldn't see which way you went !.....they are two completely different machines designed for different circumstances......and quick road riding would show up the GS for what it was meant to be......a very good all round machine and its few limitations would be obvious ......

Shinyface

Yes yofi that is what I said...If you want to make progress on any motor you have to keep the revs between max torque and max hp and that on the GS in between 6000 and 8000 rpm...Or in the real world you keep the revs between 4 and 8000 rpm.On the S1000RR you keep it beween 8 and 14000 rpm...Nothing wrong at all with that statement...All I was saying if BMW would add 500-1000 rpm for a more healthy top-end the shift-cam boxer would be the perfect powerplant for a STREET bike :thumby: 165 hp & 155 nm Torque would be Fun and finally enough :thumb2

Tanneman...We are talking about the LC-boxers...Their gear boxes are made in Japan.Ricardo does not make gearboxes for BMW motorcycles but was involved in the engineering of the K1300 gearboxes...That was 13 years ago.Getrag got out of business making motorcycle gear boxes around 2014-15 if I remember right.

Back
Top Bottom