An Eastern Borders (mini) Birl

Attached is a map with waypoints for the couple of days I'd planned and my tracks for the rides I actually took. I've added a few waypoints which folk might be interested in viz ...

Jim Clark's Memorial Clock in Chirnside
Parking next to the cemetery for anyone who wants to visit (arguably) the greatest ever world champion's grave. :augie
The Jim Clark room in Duns.
St Abbs, a very pretty wee village and the nearby nature reserve.

Attachments

• Yetholm Rides.zip
    89 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
And, as promised the sad story of that Beaufighter and its young crew. https://acia.co.uk/1943/01/04/beaufighter-t3038/

NB
"It must be noted however that the Mk II Beaufighter was known to have poor single engine performance and had been withdrawn from frontline service and allocated to training units only. The Mk II was also the only Beaufighter to have been fitted with the Merlin engine in favour of the more powerful Bristol Hercules."

An aircraft less powerful than its successor and known to have problems was restricted to being flown by aircrew with the least experience and skills! :blast

Terrific write up, TY for taking the time.
I have a list of places I'd like to visit in and around The Borders and really appreciate all of the information you've posted.

I
Terrific write up, TY for taking the time.
I have a list of places I'd like to visit in and around The Borders and really appreciate all of the information you've posted.
I just noticed that I may have missed out Scott's view and Smailholm Tower on the map I attached. If so, a simple google map search will do the biz. They are just off the A68 near Melrose. And while you're at it, add in the William Wallace Statue and the Leaderfoot Viaduct across Tweed. They're also very close and it would be a shame to miss them.

Incidentally, the viaduct featured in the latest Indiana Jones movie, with various CGI additions of course!

En route to Yetholm, I took the A68 and turned off for Dryburgh a d headed for Scott's view.
891887dbaa52bd28887e0e290fc7fc0c.jpg

There's plenty of views it's equal in this country but none finer, IMHO.

To take that photo, I had to go down the hill a little and when I turned around, there was a mini bus load of tourists on a Rabbie's tour above and looking down on me! Well it just had to be done, didn't it? Pointing to the landscape in the distance, I bellowed ( as I still had my ear plugs in!) ...

Breathes there the man with soul so dead,
Who never to himself hath said,
"This is my own, my native land?" :hrh

And bugger me, they all cheered and applauded! :D

(Except for the driver/guide who looked none too impressed with the competition! :augie )
Exhibitionist....

Exhibitionist....
There's worse things to be Gerry. :D Although it does rather depend on what one is exhibiting! :eek
Anyway, the proof of the pudding etc ... the tourists seemed to enjoy it and you've benefited from it on my trenches tours also. :thumb2
I thought you were in French France by the way? Get aff of here and put a fire or two out man! :D

There's worse things to be Gerry. :D Although it does rather depend on what one is exhibiting! :eek
Anyway, the proof of the pudding etc ... the tourists seemed to enjoy it and you've benefited from it on my trenches tours also. :thumb2
I thought you were in French France by the way? Get aff of here and put a fire or two out man! :D
Boat on tues....fire permitting....

Back
Top Bottom