Ancona Ferry to Split

Bigcats

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good Morning All,
My trip to Bosnia is approaching and I am after anyones experience of using the Ancona Ferry to Croatia (especially to Split)
I have found what I believe is the crossing operators website (it amazes how many other websites want you to buy the tickets via them) https://www.snav.it/en/destinations/croazia/ancona-spalato
I can't push the deperture date out past Dec23 so can't see costs etc (Its May 24 I am intending to travel)
SO any helpful tips from experience would be appreciated
I beleive now that Croatia is in the EU (and Schengen) I don't have to worry about any entry documents etc? That sort of stuff

We did Ancona /split in 2014 and Ancona /Albania this year. Both times bought tickets on the day at the ferry operators ticket office at the port for the next boat.*** Very easy. Or, you could use Direct Ferries or whoever.

Cost, can’t remember but if it’s part of your trip it is what it is.

Boats… just like channel or North Sea ferries. Procedures pretty much the same too. We had a cabin both times as they were overnight crossings. Again just like a cross channel boat.

Schengen etc… you are correct.

*** I am incapable of planning a trip such that I can be confident that I would be at port X on a specific date or time. Nor would I want my route and progress dictated by the need to be somewhere/anywhere at a particular time. I do book my uk departure but try and keep returns flexible. Whilst travelling over the years I have been on loads of ferries just by turning up at the port. It’s probably not the cheapest way but I value the flexibility more.

Thank you for the reply
I am looking to only book the journey out as I may return via road instead or stay in Bosnia a couple of days etc so agreed on the booking ahead idea.
From what I can make out on the cost its about 90ish Euros (less cabin) so I think very reasonable.

Thank you

You are welcome. You will probably like Bosnia. We did. But, not at all what we expected. I thought it would be a slightly shabby run- down east European country showing signs of it’s not too distant war. It’s not, it’s a modern clean vibrant country. Roads and infrastructure are good, cafe culture, hotels etc all nice. Nice people. Serbia the same.

Have a great trip.

I'm actually returning to Bosnia from when I served there during their war (1995) and traveling back up to the remote locations we were stationed in and hoping some of the places survived after all these years. Its quite 'up country' and sadly google maps doesn't seemed to have got there yet so can't get a good luck so once I arrive in Split (Thats where we flew in) I am looking forward to seeing some huge differences as I make my way North.

Back
Top Bottom