Anyone fitted R1200R cams to a GS ?

ferguscawley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have an 05 GS which I love. My son has a 2007 R1200R and the engine power delivery is really strong compared to my GS. Both bikes are standard apart from aftermarket silencers.

Is the main difference between the 2 engines the camshafts (and intake snorkels) ?

Looking at realoem.com the 2007 R1200R an R1200RT both have part number 11317670068 for their cams. The GS has 11317668723.

Will swapping the cams and intake snorkel breathe some 'zing' into my 2005 GS ?

Thanks

If I remember correctly the early hexhead GS made 100 bhp whereas the RT made 110. How much of that is the cams and how much is the engine management settings is anyone's guess.

If I remember correctly the early hexhead GS made 100 bhp whereas the RT made 110. How much of that is the cams and how much is the engine management settings is anyone's guess.

Yep, that's right. 98 BHP vs 109 BHP

If it's as simple as a cam and intake snorkel swap I'll do it but would like to know if anyone has any experience of this change

Thanks

It would not surprise me if the ignition map was different, to suit the cams.
Just a thought.

It was like that on the 1100 and 1150s.
I had a friend in Italy with cam swapped 1100GS.

do you need new cams or a slotted sprocket... once upon a time I'd read you can get quite a bit playing, and then the air box must hold us back - that joke filter must let through half the air it needs at times. not that it helps the filter issue but was it wunderlich that did a twin nozzel air intake kit

Just had a look at the relevant specifications for the years mentioned.
Compression ratio GS = 11 to 1 and RT = 12 to 1 which is where I suspect that a good lump of the extra performance felt comes from,
Both engines produce the same Torque but the RT is at 500 rpm higher.
They have done the usual trick of increasing the RPM where the max BHP is measured, as we all know rpm is a big factor in measuring BHP it is so easy to see a BHP figure and overlook the RPM it is made at.
On every new bike launch they increase the RPM where the max BHP is made so they can print a higher BHP figure.
GS BHP @ 7000 RPM RT BHP @ 7500 RPM
On another note I would like to see the genuine BHP figures of a TC and an LC both measured at 7000 RPM which is as much as I usually rev my TC to.

Back
Top Bottom