Hong Kong: GS or GSA

Yes, I was at RAF Sek Kong, then moved downtown and worked out of Kai Tak until the 'handover'.
Great memories, great place. I used to go round all the scrapyards looking for bikes (bought a GS550 for HK$500, and turned down a CB750 for hk$100 as I had used up all my space to ship then back by then. There were loads of ex-jap 400's IIRC for sale in the scrappys.
I even rode my ZXR on HK plates for a while when I got home as my HK driving Licence and Insurance was still valid.
Then there was the Rolls Royces and big Mercs that were carefully cut in half ready for shipping to China as scrap, only to be rebuilt!
Sounds like you have a great ride to work, a lot of people think HK is just all skyscrapers, lights and no room. Not true, theres some great bike roads out there.
What happened to the Military flats, swimming pools etc? Did the PLA move into them? Ours was a massive three bedroom flat, en-suit, servant quaters etc all for about $50 rent per month.
Still say the 1150 would be perfect out there!:thumb

Hi Dean: yes you are right to quite a degree.

So, given you have ridden in HK do you think it's more wise to go the GS route for 99% of the time and add on bits for the 1% I go off piste, or go the GSA route and take the touring bits off the the 99% of the time I don't need them on HK roads?

Most of the trips you'd do out of Hong Kong would still be or roads.. if you are not a compident off road rider the GS and GSA are a handfull off road.

I'm likely to be in HK for many years so it's not necessary to make a choice GS / GSA re potential relocation.

I personally would go with GS, but its a personal preference based on the fact that for me kighter is better, having said that neither are light wieghts by any means. I'm also basing my advice on the fact I have a GS as I found the GSA to be a pain in tight KL and Singapore traffic.

HP2: yes nice...and not seenone in HK - either way I am more of a bimbler than a sports bike person so heart is set on a GS of some description'

I meant the HP2 Enduro not the sports RR version.

Cheers

Alan

I sure you'll be happy with either the GS or GSA. Let us know how you get on.
Dean in KL

I sure you'll be happy with either the GS or GSA. Let us know how you get on.
Dean in KL

I'm having a test ride of the GS this week then need to make up my mind before end July or possibly August - my main dealer tells me he thinks they will stop production in a "few months". If I order beginning of August it will be here in November.

I've still got the Kwaka so all is not lost re my fix :D

I'll let all know, with pictures, when I get the GS / GSA

Pity I can't bring it to Malaysia easily - I'm in KL for the MotoGP in October - you going? I'll be the only 6'6" guy on the grid (good friends involved with MotoGP and Macau)

Cheers

Alan

Yes, I was at RAF Sek Kong, then moved downtown and worked out of Kai Tak until the 'handover'.

The PLA are in Shek Kong - 3 or 4 helicopters pass over every now and then - it's pretty sleepy still. Scrap yards abound still. My father in alw used to fly Cessnas out of Kai Tak...he'd be sitting on the tarmack tucked in between a couple of heavy 747s waiting for clearance - quite a wash so full brake when they took off and wait 5 minutes for the wash.

a lot of people think HK is just all skyscrapers, lights and no room. Not true, theres some great bike roads out there.

Yup - I dd a lot of hill walking 10 years ago (Wilson Trail, Maclehose etc) and have a boat in Sai Kung so know my way around very well. With the drainage access roads, bike friendly mountain paths and secluded spots there's enough to keep one exploring. I was on the Kwaka the other day on Kowloon Peak and followed a trail down to the old Gin Drinkers Line (WWII pill boxes etc) - great spot.

What happened to the Military flats, swimming pools etc? Did the PLA move into them?
PLA moved in but there are many more flats than PLA so there's only 1/2 a dozen to an entire apartment block. The single storey officers quarters are looking shabby - a shame really!

Still say the 1150 would be perfect out there!:thumb
There's a nice silver / red one (R1150GS Adventure) for sale 2003, 24,000km, HK$80k (£6,700)...prices in civvy street still high!

see http://fjgkjkshjj.www.28car.com/msg...t=5&h_idx=1&h_width=900&h_height=680&h_site=w (if link works)

Cheers

Alan

Pity I can't bring it to Malaysia easily - I'm in KL for the MotoGP in October - you going? I'll be the only 6'6" guy on the grid (good friends involved with MotoGP and Macau)

Cheers

Alan

Actually it would be fairly easy to get your bike to KL, of course it involves time and money, but if you were thinking of say a 3 or 4 week S. E. Asian tour it would be worth it. Customes at Port Klang is easy, Thailand border crossing also very easy.

I don't bother with the GP anymore, I went to the first few..but its just to hot to spent a day out there, and best to watch the race live downtown in a cool bar... I don't even go to F1 anymore, for mostly the same reason. Its fun in the city though when both events are in town, a lot going on and evrything very relaxed and people approachable compared to Europe.

I know a few pwople here that have gone from GS's to Versys and love them, the are less than half the price of a GS here also, but for your size the GS/GSA would probably fit better.

Dean

Actually it would be fairly easy to get your bike to KL, of course it involves time and money, but if you were thinking of say a 3 or 4 week S. E. Asian tour it would be worth it. Customes at Port Klang is easy, Thailand border crossing also very easy.
So I hear - the local Motorrad club in HK has organised a few crate & fly trips to Malaysia so maybe I'll catch up with you for a beer on the GS / GSA - Southern Highlands must be a good trip on a bike (done it in a car).

I don't bother with the GP anymore, I went to the first few..but its just to hot to spent a day out there, and best to watch the race live downtown in a cool bar... I don't even go to F1 anymore, for mostly the same reason. Its fun in the city though when both events are in town, a lot going on and evrything very relaxed and people approachable compared to Europe..
Yes damned hot in Oct. We hang out in the pits all day and watch the race in one of the pit boxes so there are cooling respites. Sepang is very chilled crowd-wise than say Donington, Silverstone, Philip Island etc. so it's easy for the big players in MotoGP to wander around unhindered - though Rossi tends to do a fast walk from pit box to back area to cool off (wearing full race leathers in 36° heat and 99% humidity mustn't be fun). It's my birthday around Sepang so always handy for 'surprises' off the lads - one was a spin around in the M3 safety car with Franco Unchini - excellent stuff..and I will confess to being a wee bit nervous...especially sitting on the right hand side with no steering wheel Franco's a hell of a rider / driver though!:bow
http://s909.photobucket.com/albums/ac300/ahmorris/Bikes/?action=view&current=Sepangturn1.jpg

Occasionally I watch the bikes
http://s909.photobucket.com/albums/ac300/ahmorris/Bikes/?action=view&current=Sepangturn1.jpg

I know a few pwople here that have gone from GS's to Versys and love them, the are less than half the price of a GS here also, but for your size the GS/GSA would probably fit better.
I have a 2007 2nd hand Versys - nice bike but I find I need to wring it's neck to go up steep hills (HK has lots) and it's generally revving it's head off 90% of the time. I prefer 6 or 8 cyclnder cars to 4 cylinders for the same reason - I like the low-down torque of the GS compared with the Versys. My 3yr 2nd hand Versys was about
HK$48,000 (£4,000) - the new ones are only HK$78,000 on the road (£6,600). A new Versus is approx 35% of the cost of a new GSA. I think they are great value and good fun bikes but a little on the small side for me hence the hopefully imminent upgrade.:drool
http://s909.photobucket.com/albums/ac300/ahmorris/Bikes/?action=view&current=2007Versys.jpg&

If you have the cash,buy a HP2,they really are the big dogs where BMW's are concerned,failing that the GSA is the daddy,or if you want to add bits and bobs the base model GS is a blank canvas

Hi Alan,
I sometimes go to HK on business and all of this talk brings back memories of the place.

I would go for the GSA as I think you'll always wish you had chosen it if you go for the GS. The GSA has a lot more presence and does look the dogs in 30th colours.

Cheers, Colin.

Aaahh HK, i lived there during the seventies, we lived in Victoria and also went to st George's, star ferry to start but then they opened the tunnel so we bussed it through there. We had a corner of the REME workshop that they allowed us to build some fun stuff - a go cart with a two stroke lawn mower engine was the best, after a big rolloking for blasting round the RCT car park we pushed it down to HMS tamar and took it over to stone cutter's where it served us well untill it was well and truley stacked .....

We also rebuilt an old DT175 so its got something to do with bikes....:augie

Unlike all the other ops i've never lived or visited hong kong,but if it helps i was a huge fan of hong kong phooey :blagblah

Back
Top Bottom