Back Brake Seizure

snoopy

After thinking I'd fixed the seized back brake I had a near lock on on my way to the BMW garage. By the time I pulled up the heat had melted the speed sensor wire and there was smoke from the pads. The pads are totally shagged.

What causes this on the 650, is the back brake renown for overheating on minimal use? I'd done high speed so things were warm but I rarely use the back brake at all. My foot doesn't rest on/over it but to the side.

It took 20 minutes for the piston to cool so that it could be forced back in. The piston was and is in spot on condition no crud anywhere. Pads were at half-life.

Where do I go from here...

Check you've got a little bit of play between the mastercylinder and brake pedal if not it will lock on when the system gets warm.:thumb2

Can you explain why Brass? Is hot fluid causing it to fail?

I don't know why TBH, they just go. I've seen it a few times. Mine used to drag occasionally on hot days or good blasts but it started doing it on colder days as well, so temperature wasn't the issue really.
I think they just corrode inside and start seizing, and getting hot exacerbates the problem.
I've had no trouble whatsoever since I changed mine a couple of years ago now.

Went to wiggle the linkage and it had no play then started to have some. Good call on the master being knackered. Another part to order... this fecking bike is costing a ton.

Snoop what HAVE you been doing to that poor bike? you nasty piece of work you! lol

Fur fuk sake Snoops ye ken fuk aw aboot bikes don't dabble in the mechanics

Stop buying pish for it and get it fixed properly:thumb

By THE WAY i'M PISHED AND MY OPINION MAY CHANGE TOMORROW:D

Ye spend tons on shite an dinnae SPEND ON ESSENTIALS

A good thing cause you might have got yourself a virtual arse kicking.

Scottish ... all talk and no show can never handle the beer like us Northerners. Bed for that one!

Went to wiggle the linkage and it had no play then started to have some. Good call on the master being knackered. Another part to order... this fecking bike is costing a ton.

Don't know why you want to order a master cylinder you just need to adjust the brake pedal to allow some play in the linkage. of course you need to replace all the other stuff you've ****ed ie pads, sensor and probably fluid.

Back
Top Bottom