Best/easiest map routing software for XT.

Neil12GS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have an XT and looking to plan a trip around Scotland.
Which is the preferred software to use to create a route that is not overly complicated and can export to XT easily without a degree in software !
Had a quick look at Scenic and that doesn’t look too involved. :nenau

Which is the preferred software to use to create a route that is not overly complicated and can export to XT easily without a degree in software !

Me too
Not really interested in MRA and the like
Is Explore easy enough?

Isn’t the XT German? In which case if you don’t want to use MRA which to me is very easy then use the software provided. I.e. Basecamp or is it called Explore. Alternatively there is Kurviger. All are pretty easy to use but you need the basic understanding for any of them

If you want to only create simple (or even very complicated) ON ROAD (as opposed to off road) routes - but not use BaseCamp - and export the routes to a Garmin XT, whilst making good use of the app’s ability to safely export GPX routes (via your phone and the Garmin Drive app) straight into the XT, then MyRoute is definitely amongst the best.

Others will have their favourites, of course.

Basecamp is grand if you are a Windows PC user.

A paper map?

tom

Basecamp is grand if you are a Windows PC user.

Basecamp is still relative, and is also good on a mac - just a little bit more 'faffing' to upload to the XT via Garmin 'drive'

MyRouteApp for me, if you have the Gold membership then remember it's best to use the "HERE" maps as they are what Garmin devices use so likely to get a more accurate representation when you export to the XT.

If you want to only create simple (or even very complicated) ON ROAD (as opposed to off road) routes - but not use BaseCamp - and export the routes to a Garmin XT, whilst making good use of the app’s ability to safely export GPX routes (via your phone and the Garmin Drive app) straight into the XT, then MyRoute is definitely amongst the best.

Others will have their favourites, of course.
^^^ This. Best move I made for planning and exporting routes. Far, far easier and more feature rich than Basecamp.

I was a Basecamp user for many years and I think that with practice I developed a level of competence which allowed me to create some great routes at home and abroad.

Because I upgraded (really?) from a Nav V to and XT I became a Gold Lifetime member of MRA - it was mainly the ability to transfer routes into the XT via wifi or Bluetooth which attracted me. Having now used it for several trips and any number of ride outs I am more than happy. MRA is undoubtedly more user friendly and in conjunction with an XT is a great combo. MRA offers many useful features which are not offered by Basecamp, not the least the ability to access a satellite view, something Basecamp did do but stopped some years ago

All of that said, my XT has been with Garmin for repair following a total fail and I've been using MRA Navigation App on my Iphone and I've found that to be very good. The upcoming "Next" version promises to be even better. If Garmin would give me a refund I think I'd be happy to do without a dedicated satnav ... buts that off the point of your thread, sorry

Back
Top Bottom