bike cut out - now strange noise when turn key 1150GS & won't start

bob2

Reaction score
My '02 1150GS just cut out on me as I was riding along at about 80mph. As I slowed down to about 30 I tried to bump it in third. It was having absolutely none of it. No other symptoms or weirdness on the ride before this - was riding for two hours before. It hasn't been touched by me or anyone else in about 500 miles.

I pulled over, turned ignition on and off - loud weird noise like fuel pump priming but significantly louder. Like, LOUD. Starter cranks but bike not firing up.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful. Thanks guys.

A complete guess here but could it possibly be the small hose inside the tank has split? What you are hearing could be the pump trying to pressurise the injection system but unable to do so because of the failed hose.

@Steptoe will probably know.

If the bike has the quick-connectors in the fuel lines make sure one hasn't come loose.

Disconnect the output fuel line, turn ignition on and check fuel is being pumped out. If not then the internal fuel line has become detached from pump or it’s perished.

Disconnect the output fuel line, turn ignition on and check fuel is being pumped out. If not then the internal fuel line has become detached from pump or it’s perished.

Thanks Steptoe - much appreciated.

The same happened to me on the motorway to Budapest shortly after I'd bought the bike. Turned out to be a blocked fuel filter. A year later I was on the motorway to Zagreb when the bike started coughing, farting and trying to demolish the engine. Managed to coax the bike off the motorway, find a hotel and, with a friend's help, get it trailered home the following day. When I stripped the internals out of the tank there was a significant split in the U shaped rubber hose attached to the fuel pump. In my naivety I hadn't replaced the fuel hoses when I replaced the filter and pump!

Thanks again to everyone. The problem was a fuel line which has now been replaced.

Back
Top Bottom