Blanket 20mph speed limit, except these roads which remain at 30mph

This link should take you to the interractive map showing the roads with current 30 mph limits which are not reducing to 20mph in September 2023.
As most drivers don't look at the road signs a lot of people will drive at 20 on the 30 roads causing even more frustration. This is happening a lot in London especially as you move further out of the centre where the main arterial routes are easily capable of taking traffic travelling at 30 safely

Anyone who will break the speed limit at 30 will not be bothered any more or less about breaking it at 20, it will just inconvenience and frustrate anyone who is bothered enough to provide legal compliance. Perhaps there should be a "mass compliance" protest through the new affected areas passing through and immediately loop returning for an hour or so.

This was mooted but I haven’t heard anything on it lately.

If it’s real then your car will keep you to the speed limit automatically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My missus’s 23 Mazda has automatic speed sign recognition and gives you an audible bollocking if you exceed said speed by 4 mph from memory.

Two issues I see if you fully automate this action eg car brakes these are

National speed white on black signs , since its nor a number the car doesnt recognise them so you can be over a 100 m into National speed limit before the laggy gps decides its a 60/70

Secondly when in say a 30 or 40 if you pass a side road that is a 20 and the sign is slightly skewed so the car cameras see it then bang the 20 mph warnings come up

Option 2 is the most dangerous under auto braking as the car behind has NO reason to expect you to brake from 40 to 20 in a 40.

This is on a 2023 plate car, so non of this “ they will make the tech better” argument as many new cars are still being shipped with some of their electronics still inoperable due to “ chip shortage “ 🤣

My missus’s 23 Mazda has automatic speed sign recognition and gives you an audible bollocking if you exceed said speed by 4 mph from memory.

Two issues I see if you fully automate this action eg car brakes these are

National speed white on black signs , since its nor a number the car doesnt recognise them so you can be over a 100 m into National speed limit before the laggy gps decides its a 60/70

Secondly when in say a 30 or 40 if you pass a side road that is a 20 and the sign is slightly skewed so the car cameras see it then bang the 20 mph warnings come up

Option 2 is the most dangerous under auto braking as the car behind has NO reason to expect you to brake from 40 to 20 in a 40.

This is on a 2023 plate car, so non of this “ they will make the tech better” argument as many new cars are still being shipped with some of their electronics still inoperable due to “ chip shortage “

My Range Rover has some kind of speed sign recognition.

It’s utter bollox. It saw a 10mph sign on a motorway which referred to the road works lane and had a fit, and also has a a massive wobbler in France with the 100/130 signs, the signs which say 90 for trucks but not cars.

Also it thinks that 20mph limits go on forever and ever for miles out in the countryside for no reason….. oh, wait….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its coming! We have been away for a week in that there Englandshire. On returning today I notice shrink wrapped new signage. Ive not ventured to rip them off to see , but I think they say “ New speed limit” or similar.

The 30 limit by a local school has been changed to 20 under the new ruling. The scammera van is there at least once per week now ( 30mph) , they will be there every day from mid Sept.

I shall 18mph everywhere just to be sure... heading over to Borth / Aberdovey next week for a couple of days fishing.... I'm in no rush, let's see how much effect it has.

Here in Cardiff North we've been a 20mph "trial area" for quite a time now. The main problem that I observe is that speed limits are not enforced - 95% of drivers are still blasting around at over 30mph, just as they did before, except in the (3 relatively local to me) areas where there are known speed cameras. Why people have to accelerate like maniacs just to get to the next red lights or slam the anchors on at a junction is beyond me.

The moaners and groaners complaining about this terrible loss of freedom tend not to understand basic arithmetic - one woman on Facebook said that her average speed in the city was 8mph, so she was outraged that she would now be restricted to a maximum of 20mph - whereas a moment's thought would have revealed to her that if her average speed is 8mph with a 30mph maximum, then reducing the maximum to 20 mph would have minimal impact on her overall average.

Similarly, a gardener on BBC Wales last night claimed that he had worked out that it would cost him £10000, presumably because a presumed increase in travelling time meaning less working time. However, as is typical these days of BBC "reporting", nobody asked him how he had calculated that figure, on what assumptions it was based and whether or not it was in any way realistic. I have found that on journeys that I do frequently around the suburbs my travelling time has not significantly changed at all.

One also reads claims that driving at 20mph instead of 30mph leads to increased fuel consumption and increased pollution (excluding noise) - but can these claims be substantiated, or is it all just "something they read on the internet" or heard down the pub?

Personally, I find driving at 20mph to be more relaxing and less stressful, unless being tailgated or overtaken by impatient knobheads who are clearly far more important than I. I suspect that most of these self-righteous gits consider themselves to be "law abiding citizens", yet they are happy to break the law every minute of the day :rolleyes:

Coming to the Wirral too.
Our road has been 20mph (with speed bumps) for a couple of years. The only change in behaviour I have seen is that people now see how quickly they can get over the bumps without grounding their cars. And of course some accelerate wildly between sets of speed bumps.

Here in Cardiff North we've been a 20mph "trial area" for quite a time now. The main problem that I observe is that speed limits are not enforced - 95% of drivers are still blasting around at over 30mph, just as they did before, except in the (3 relatively local to me) areas where there are known speed cameras. Why people have to accelerate like maniacs just to get to the next red lights or slam the anchors on at a junction is beyond me.

The moaners and groaners complaining about this terrible loss of freedom tend not to understand basic arithmetic - one woman on Facebook said that her average speed in the city was 8mph, so she was outraged that she would now be restricted to a maximum of 20mph - whereas a moment's thought would have revealed to her that if her average speed is 8mph with a 30mph maximum, then reducing the maximum to 20 mph would have minimal impact on her overall average.

Similarly, a gardener on BBC Wales last night claimed that he had worked out that it would cost him £10000, presumably because a presumed increase in travelling time meaning less working time. However, as is typical these days of BBC "reporting", nobody asked him how he had calculated that figure, on what assumptions it was based and whether or not it was in any way realistic. I have found that on journeys that I do frequently around the suburbs my travelling time has not significantly changed at all.

One also reads claims that driving at 20mph instead of 30mph leads to increased fuel consumption and increased pollution (excluding noise) - but can these claims be substantiated, or is it all just "something they read on the internet" or heard down the pub?

Personally, I find driving at 20mph to be more relaxing and less stressful, unless being tailgated or overtaken by impatient knobheads who are clearly far more important than I. I suspect that most of these self-righteous gits consider themselves to be "law abiding citizens", yet they are happy to break the law every minute of the day :rolleyes:
ffs Just exactly why do you ride a motorbike ?

Obviously not to ride at law-breaking speeds, which your comment suggests is something you do? In my view "anti-social" riding (speeding, reckless overtaking, excessive noise etc) by bikers is just giving ammunition to those who want to get all bikes banned from our roads.

I've just had a week's trip to South West France, during which I was able to filter through the M25 car park on my way to the tunnel, enjoy the quiet rural roads of France where possible and ride at 130 kph where that was possible. All at legal speeds and all very enjoyable. Why do you ride?

Interesting to drive out on a shopping trip today, the first day after the 20 became "nationwide" - seemed pretty obvious that more drivers were sticking to 20, even though those self same roads have been 20 for about a year. Also noted that some sections of road were still signed 30 at the start, as they have been for a while, but were subsequently signed with small 20 "repeater" signs, which appear to have gone up over the weekend.

That should cause some confusion :rolleyes:

Can't wait for that tw?t to go. By and large i stick to the speed limits !!! I did notice traffic was heavier today or should i say slower. And by 7am i noticed my first o mph road sign lol. 40 mph gone down to 30 mph also,

Welsh government has approved a law to be implemented on 010424 for all new vehicles.
IMG_1466.jpeg

Only out for about 20 mins under new regime saw three things:

Driver in a 30 ( unchanged road ) doing 20. Very helpful

Two cases of light wagons, not artics, scaffolder size pressurising cars doing 20 by tailgating them

Numerous vehicles going through 20’s at 35/40.

So for a first day I call that a result!

It’s probably better to try something like this in a more intelligent area than wales.

How can you expect the public (in Wales) to actually grasp something so simple. When the whole country is nearly as backward as Cumbria?

Only out for about 20 mins under new regime saw three things:

Driver in a 30 ( unchanged road ) doing 20. Very helpful

Two cases of light wagons, not artics, scaffolder size pressurising cars doing 20 by tailgating them

Numerous vehicles going through 20’s at 35/40.

So for a first day I call that a result!
Local road through Ton-teg is now signposted 20 mph going west toward Llantwit Fardre.

Coming off the bypass into station road which leads to the same road as above its still signposted 30mph.

The map issued by Transport for Wales shows it should be 20 mph but they've not changed the signs.
It'll be 60 mph down to 20 mph.

There's no doubt the labour lead WAG is looking to strangle the motorist by any means possible

Attachments

• WAG Transport.jpg
    WAG Transport.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom