I got a new tankbag for my gsa in the sales. its the motorrad gs one with the straps. Do you need to place anything under the straps to prevent scratching the paint or is it ok without? sorry if it seems like a daft question.

I got a new tankbag for my gsa in the sales. its the motorrad gs one with the straps. Do you need to place anything under the straps to prevent scratching the paint or is it ok without? sorry if it seems like a daft question.
Thank you.As long as everything is clean and dust-free, there will be no rubbing. If you say so
However, keeping a GS clean spells boring. If you say so
For my own use, when I get a new bike, I cover the 'wear areas' with 3M clear cover plastic. It is flexible. strong against rubbing and when you tear it off it will leave no marks. I buy it in rolls that are 15cm wide and cut it in shape by scissors. To put it on I use water with a couple of drops of detergent added. This allows me to position the sheet properly. Then I squeeze the water out. I concur
When riding for a few days without washing the bike, even in the dry, there will be road dust accumulated. The screen creates a low pressure area behind it, and this tends to suck road-dust like a gold-digger to a Bugatti. I concur
my 2c
Hi BDG,
The tent is a "cheap" Millets brand called "Eurohike" and the model is called "Kent". It's a generous two person semi-geodesic design, with a huge double entry porch; unfortunately this model was discontinued in 2011.
All my tents are very well travelled and prior to using the first time, I always treat with Fabsil https://www.fabsil.com/product-page/fabsil-gold; whatever the weather my tents have never leaked.![]()
I bought another three "Kent's" in the 2009 Millets "sale" when they were reduced from £49.99 to £30.00 each; there's still one new and unused remaining in the attic.
FYI as detailed hereunder, the nearest broadly comparable (practical design suitable for solo motorcycle touring) available on the present market (which I can also personally recommend) is a "Vango" model called "Tempest 200" around £180 https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/camping-equipment/750-tempest-pro-200.html. BTW, you'll often find them available online reduced to around £130
I'd also recommend to always buy a footprint groundsheet protector at around £20 https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/camping-equipment/640-groundsheet-protector-gp532-tempest-pro-200.html
Best wishes to you and yours for a merry Christmas and a happy new year.
PS, the moderators may subsequently wish to move this thread to the touring / outdoor gear / accessories section.![]()