Boom Boom...... Shake Shake The Katoom

Day 3

Saarbrücken to Montbeliard

270 Miles

East to the forest the to Mummelsee for shopping.

I can't believe Ive been past so many times and not visited, lovely place.

Soon through forest and mandatory stop at Triberg.

Dedicated free bike parking, very civilised.

On leaving we hit a massive storm which lasts about 60 or so unpleasant miles.

Clip Switzerland and then to hotel.

Basic but fine. Walk into town which is very pleasant and only 10 mins walk.

Food and to bed.

Aiming to clip the alps tomorrow near Megeve and onwards towards Grenoble way.

Dry night so fingers crossed.

Lifes a Bitche........

Damn says phot too big now but its the same.....

Anyway was a photo of us in Bitche,,,,

Last edited:
A spot of Mummelsee retail, a peli case can hold approx 19 bottles of hooch......

tempImageiDeSlC.jpg

Von S hiding from his tourist fanbase,

My fingers are stuck in the "turn cardo on" position

tempImage5jfc0G.jpg

The famous house of 1000 clocks.

Triberg

tempImageob6Uf3.jpg

Kyriad works, cheap clean and good location......

tempImageSKklpv.jpg

Fine place for an overnight stop, pretty enough.

tempImageZmiFGx.jpg

Roll on for some hills tomorrow......

Great report I’m enjoying this (y) I’ll be covering some of the same ground as you in a few weeks so keen to follow your exploits.

bit-20230526-WA0006.jpg

Here ya go, The lovely saucy steel ladies at Bitche.

Follow the D621 East out of Saarbrucken and you find yourself on the awkwardly named ' Route de Bitche'
Halfway East is the town of Bitche that features a HUGE fortress overlooking the town, where, apparantly nearly all post-war French National Servicemen were obliged to serve six months basic training and NBC drills. At somepoint the local railway station sems to have been abandoned, almost overnight, and you exit the town past a deserted platform, station buildings, rail lines & gates, substantial weeds, but no trains, most odd!

Before you get to the evocative River Rhine, and the crossing across to Baden Baden (So good they named it twice) you pass Haguenau, as featured in the mid episodes of 'Band of Brothers' as Easy Company fought their way beyond Rhine. Whilst not 100% absolutely historicaly accurate, I do thoroughly recommend folk view the Box-set series, which gives a good background as to the events that shaped this part of the world in late '44.

Last edited:
Once youve crossed the Rhine, no Biker can resist the call of the B500 Schwarzwaldhochstrasse, which is near legendary fast and curvy road running the ridges of the Black forest down from Baden Baden to Freidenstadt. On a Summer Sunday it's more packed than Blackpool seafront, and on a Bank holiday the traffic is probably even slower, clogged solid by the World and his hunde, but....
Get there early morning, out of season, keep an eye out for speed cameras and Polizei, and it is still a fantastic flowing high speed run through amazing curves, views, and countryside.

Some years ago i found myself most rudely overtaken by a local number-plated Golf gti who obviously knew the road, so i locked in behind him and was treated to a free display of all the best lines, corners, curves, and where to back off!, all the way down through Wolfach, as far as Triberg. Brilliant :D ;)

I hope you got booze and a souvenir knife that time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Triberg,
To be fair, it is The Black Forest's answer to Blackpool, with a host of tat-shops at the top of the town I just cant resist.
You cant miss the 'Hause der 1,000 uhr' at the top of the town, with a mechanical Teddy-bear abseiling up and down the shop front.

Immediately opposite is a quite new concrete parking area, specificaly for motorbikes, and a newly constructed this year seating area for a small coffee & cake establishment,
where we both took the opportunity to coffee-up whilst inspecting our inevitable purchases. stonking good deal on a Swiss watch for GG, and yet another Swiss Army knife fur mich!

No mention of BelVitas yet …..

Ah yes, very true, but it's early days yet! at this stage GG and myself are just getting stocked up and up to speed on Hotel Breakfast Buffet Banditry.

Remember, no Adventure Rider worth his/her salt. sets out each day without a hunk of bread curled round some cheese & salami!
Top Tip: A ziplock bag should always accompany you to the breakfast table, and once filled, out onto the day's highways.

GG's foraging this morning had been substantially diverted by all the blood rushing groinwards, as we encountered Saarbrucken's duskiest of maidens :cool:

Im a top fan of Belvita's, however, once i discovered that those little Madeline cakes squish up nicely into the bottom corners of Kriega back-packs, and happily stay there for a year or two, my choice of emergency rations widened distinctly. Back in the day I was a frequent & fast skier, no piste was tackled without the pockets stashed with fruhstuck forragement.

Heading out of Triberg, and southwards past Switzerland, the heavens open! Only a month ago I'd binned my 1090's Michelin Annakee Adventures, which I find an excellent tyre, and I'd moved on to Michelin Road 6's, a choice I was greatly benefitting from in the Alpine deluges, and occasional recent gravel/debris deposited. GG is doing well on the 790's chunky dual sport tyres.

As we cross back into France the bikes are filthy and we stop on the road for an impromptu session at the 'SAVAGE wash' :)

20230506_103608.jpg

"We Stop"

Translation.....

Von S stands around with his dick swinging in the air whilst I clean the bikes.......:augie

Day 4

Montbeliard to Chamberry

270 Miles

Good day this, bone dry and some properly good roads.

Main intention was to visit Lake Annecy, I was skiing in Megeve in Feb and took a day off to travel there, stunning.

Last time it was cold and clear, this time warm and clear, bonus.

From the posh hotel on the north bank, (some very dodgy parking), we headed down the east bank and then west towards Chamberry.

`Last bit functional roads but rest of day was fab..........

I can sniff a bit if Millau action from here.......

Handy stopping off point to have the retainer of our breakfast......

tempImagescIMg9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom